number of formal nights

F19810

18 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

None on any NCL cruise.

I know that formal is optional, and what I wear for formal is not that formal.  How many "optional" formal nights are there?  It's been about 10 years since I was last on NCL, do people not dress up at all?  If it matters, this is for a Baltic cruise.

Judy

None as Keith as posted ---

*BUT* since it is NCL and it is FREE-STYLE you can dress up to the nines every night if you are so inclined.

There is usually one night when the ships photographers are like piranha if you want a dressy photo for remembrance.

There is a nominal dress code for 1 of the Main Dining Rooms (MDR) and at least one or more Specialty restaurants

except for the first night sailing away - where are my clothes ?

The luggage hasn't been brought up from the hold to our cabin !

What am I going to wear ?

If invited to the Captain's cocktail party an upscale dress casual would be appropriate.

Tuxes cumber buns bow ties dress jackets ball room gowns - Lions Tigers & Bears enough enough !

Leave the wardrobe at home and enjoy the cruise casual. 

Number of optional formal nights that I even notice? Zero.

If we are including the “Norwegian Night Out” or “Dress Up or not” then I believe there will be two in a two week cruise.

Some people dress up, some people don’t. The only way I ever know if it is one of those nights is if I see it mentioned in the freestyle daily.

Basically, dress up when you want. It’s freestyle so you get to make these decisions for yourself.

if you are looking for one of these nights to join others who have also dressed up then you may be disappointed. Maybe there is a slightly higher proportion of people dressing up on those nights, but really I would base it around when works best for you (based on meals, shows, special events etc).

Edited by KeithJenner

3 minutes ago, F19810 said:

I know that formal is optional, and what I wear for formal is not that formal.  How many "optional" formal nights are there?  It's been about 10 years since I was last on NCL, do people not dress up at all?  If it matters, this is for a Baltic cruise.

Judy

ALL 14 nights are formal optional....totally up to you. NCL never requires formal wear, but allows you to wear it whenever you wish.

8 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

ALL 14 nights are formal optional....totally up to you. NCL never requires formal wear, but allows you to wear it whenever you wish.

Thanks, that helps me.  I think that I will bring something a little dressier for my dinners at Cagnes and Le Bistro.  Are jeans allowed in the dinning rooms for dinner?

Judy

12 minutes ago, F19810 said:

Thanks, that helps me.  I think that I will bring something a little dressier for my dinners at Cagnes and Le Bistro.  Are jeans allowed in the dinning rooms for dinner?

Judy

Absolutely!  Even shorts are allowed in most venues for dinner.

Jeans no problem even the recent holeier than thou style for women

Cagney's is fine - Le Bistro and the prime MDR is upscale no shorts bermudas for men

Is the dining dress code enforced - sometimes - maybe - depends on the cruise destination - variable ?

As of recent pretty lax reading of CC members reports. 

2 hours ago, F19810 said:

Judy

Shorts are allowed in Cagney's 

Le Bistro and one other restaurant (Aft Main Dining Room on small ships, Ocean Blue on big ships) require gentlemen to wear long pants. All other restaurants allow shorts for all meals. 

NCL embraces "Dress Up or Not". You won't be out of place getting dressed up for dinner. You won't be out of place in shorts and a polo shirt for dinner. You are on vacation. 

9 hours ago, F19810 said:

Judy

I think you will be very comfortable wearing something a little dressy in Le Bistro particularly. Because the nights are casual or dressy depending you will see people dressed more formally every night but you will see people dressed like slobs as well. Just do what you feel good about  and enjoy your cruise. 

9 hours ago, F19810 said:

Judy

Here's a photo of NCL's minimal dining dress guidelines from petepenny: 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=616060

norwegian-gem-norwegian-ncl-104640.jpg

Thanks everybody.  Lately my cruises have been n RCL so I’m used to their dress codes.  As stated, my formal attire is not really formal but more dressy, I stopped wearing cocktail dresses for formal night a long time ago!  Being a Baltic cruise, I will not be wearing shorts!