What to do in Kiel?

My family and I are looking forward to our Baltic cruise on the MSC Meraviglia next month. I am finding it difficult to get information on what there is to do in Kiel. Is it possible to walk into the city from the cruise ship?  Is there lots to see ?  

I recommend taking the train from Kiel to Luebeck, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  You can walk from the port to the train station (about 20 minutes as I recall) and the train to Luebeck takes just over an hour.  It’s a fun, fascinating town. 

A few years ago, we had planned on going to Lubeck, but it was a port-intensive cruise and we were tired by that time.  It looks like a beautiful place and that’s where I would go if given the chance, or if I had a very long time, Hamburg.

Another option I wish I’d known of in advance is Laboe.  You take a ferry and there’s a War Memorial, WWII U-boat and also a beach.

• 4 months later...
On 5/12/2019 at 6:54 PM, mnichois said:

My family and I are looking forward to our Baltic cruise on the MSC Meraviglia next month. I am finding it difficult to get information on what there is to do in Kiel. Is it possible to walk into the city from the cruise ship?  Is there lots to see ?  

What did you do while in Kiel?  We will be there next May and just starting to look at options.

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2019 at 6:25 PM, mnichois said:

We ended up doing a hop on hop off bus tour of the city. I was ok. Not that much to see really. 

Thanks.   HOHO is one thing we are considering.  When you say there really isn’t much to see that helps me make a decision.