Glory cruise, may 6-11

wms99

I will post my short, no pic review of our last cruise. Let me start by saying I really miss the Dream being in NOLA, but it is what it is. This is our first cruise on a conquest class ship.

Sunday the 5th we drove down as far as Slidell. We always stop there, as the motels are a better price and so is the food. Dinner was at Peck's Seafood and if you haven't been there, you are missing a great place to put on the feed bag.

Monday we drove into New Orleans and cruised around the quarter, then drove uptown to see the houses and area. Our boarding time was 11:30. We hit the parking deck at 10:30. We unloaded, parked, and made our way to the terminal and were let right in. The lines were moving very quickly and smoothly. By 11:05 we were on the ship. By 11:35 my last bite of a Guy's burger was being consumed. We went to the top of the ship and sat and talked until 1:30. At our room all our bags were there and ready, as were the room keys. We had two rooms, side by side on the Empress deck 7. Muster drill was at 3:00 on deck 4. This is outside, but shaded. Anybody with a cane or any visible signs of physical issues was let back inside to sit. We packed in and stood around waiting for those few folks who's time is more important than ours. The ship pulled away from the dock around 4:00. I love NOLA because we get a river cruise as well as a sea cruise. One last monday highlight, around 11:30 that night alert messages started sounding. The captain came on and said there was a smoke alarm going off. About 10 minutes later he came back and announced all clear. I was just dozing back off when I heard the pilot boat coming along side so back out on the balcony I went to watch that.

Tuesday, first sea day. I under pack. So first thing (5:30) I start a load of laundry, and go get my coffee. After the first cup I go back and move the wash to the dryer and then go drink more coffee. This is my standard seaday routine.

Wednesday: Cozumel. We went to Chankanaab, swam with the manatees, then snorkeled until burned. Taxi back to the compound and had lunch at Pancho's Backyard, as usual. Taxi for 6 was $24 each way. Quick and easy. The water at Chankanaab is crystal clear, beautiful reef, zillions of fish, and there are no crowds. This is a must visit location in Cozumel.

Thursday: Progresso. This isn't my favorite port. We did the Mayan ruins at Dz***** (spelling) and lunch in Merida. It was 100*F. The ruins are worth seeing. The guides talk non stop. The food, while maybe authentic, just isn't up to good old American style Mexican food.

Friday sea day. Again I do my coffee and laundry routine. I was totally out of clothes as usual and this put me over the hump to get home clean. My son and I had purchased the behind the scene tour and the women had scheduled a spa day. Behind the scenes, we toured the morgue, the brig, behind the stage productions area, changing rooms, crew quarters, food storage, galley, the bridge where we got to meet and talk to Capt Max who is a really nice dude, the engine control room, and a few other places. All in all, it took just over 3 hours. Lots of goodies were given, including free pictures with Capt. I recommend this tour if possible.

Saturday, we self carry our luggage and were off the boat and onto the interstate by 8:00.

Now I will list a few things I didn't like. Not many, and most are just nit picky things. Our other cruises have been on fantasy class and dream class ships.

1. In the deck 5 area there are lots of big cushy lounge seats, but no nice tables with straight back chairs. We like to sit and play cards while people watching and the seating in public areas on the Glory are just not as nice for that as on fantasy or dream class ships. Give me my chairs!

2. Aft elevators, deck 7, it was hot with a poopy/wet carpet smell. Easy to avoid or hurry thru but I want to be straight up in this review.

3. We could never figure out how to cool down our shower. This wasn't our first cruise so we know how to work the handle, it's just it didn't regulate down to cool water. The only time this really was an issue was the showers after our two excursions on Wed and Thurs. We wanted a cool shower.

Overall our air conditioner was cold. Our toilets flushed. Our neighbors were quiet. The lines at the various food outlets were never that long, with the exception of the upstairs BBQ place. Our cruise was great.

We are already planning our next Carnival Cruise, although we will now only go on Dream class or larger boats.

Thank you for reading.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wms99 said:

I will post my short, no pic review of our last cruise. Let me start by saying I really miss the Dream being in NOLA, but it is what it is. This is our first cruise on a conquest class ship.

Sunday the 5th we drove down as far as Slidell. We always stop there, as the motels are a better price and so is the food. Dinner was at Peck's Seafood and if you haven't been there, you are missing a great place to put on the feed bag.

Monday we drove into New Orleans and cruised around the quarter, then drove uptown to see the houses and area. Our boarding time was 11:30. We hit the parking deck at 10:30. We unloaded, parked, and made our way to the terminal and were let right in. The lines were moving very quickly and smoothly. By 11:05 we were on the ship. By 11:35 my last bite of a Guy's burger was being consumed. We went to the top of the ship and sat and talked until 1:30. At our room all our bags were there and ready, as were the room keys. We had two rooms, side by side on the Empress deck 7. Muster drill was at 3:00 on deck 4. This is outside, but shaded. Anybody with a cane or any visible signs of physical issues was let back inside to sit. We packed in and stood around waiting for those few folks who's time is more important than ours. The ship pulled away from the dock around 4:00. I love NOLA because we get a river cruise as well as a sea cruise. One last monday highlight, around 11:30 that night alert messages started sounding. The captain came on and said there was a smoke alarm going off. About 10 minutes later he came back and announced all clear. I was just dozing back off when I heard the pilot boat coming along side so back out on the balcony I went to watch that.

Tuesday, first sea day. I under pack. So first thing (5:30) I start a load of laundry, and go get my coffee. After the first cup I go back and move the wash to the dryer and then go drink more coffee. This is my standard seaday routine.

Wednesday: Cozumel. We went to Chankanaab, swam with the manatees, then snorkeled until burned. Taxi back to the compound and had lunch at Pancho's Backyard, as usual. Taxi for 6 was $24 each way. Quick and easy. The water at Chankanaab is crystal clear, beautiful reef, zillions of fish, and there are no crowds. This is a must visit location in Cozumel.

Thursday: Progresso. This isn't my favorite port. We did the Mayan ruins at Dz***** (spelling) and lunch in Merida. It was 100*F. The ruins are worth seeing. The guides talk non stop. The food, while maybe authentic, just isn't up to good old American style Mexican food.

Friday sea day. Again I do my coffee and laundry routine. I was totally out of clothes as usual and this put me over the hump to get home clean. My son and I had purchased the behind the scene tour and the women had scheduled a spa day. Behind the scenes, we toured the morgue, the brig, behind the stage productions area, changing rooms, crew quarters, food storage, galley, the bridge where we got to meet and talk to Capt Max who is a really nice dude, the engine control room, and a few other places. All in all, it took just over 3 hours. Lots of goodies were given, including free pictures with Capt. I recommend this tour if possible.

Saturday, we self carry our luggage and were off the boat and onto the interstate by 8:00.

Now I will list a few things I didn't like. Not many, and most are just nit picky things. Our other cruises have been on fantasy class and dream class ships.

1. In the deck 5 area there are lots of big cushy lounge seats, but no nice tables with straight back chairs. We like to sit and play cards while people watching and the seating in public areas on the Glory are just not as nice for that as on fantasy or dream class ships. Give me my chairs!

2. Aft elevators, deck 7, it was hot with a poopy/wet carpet smell. Easy to avoid or hurry thru but I want to be straight up in this review.

3. We could never figure out how to cool down our shower. This wasn't our first cruise so we know how to work the handle, it's just it didn't regulate down to cool water. The only time this really was an issue was the showers after our two excursions on Wed and Thurs. We wanted a cool shower.

Overall our air conditioner was cold. Our toilets flushed. Our neighbors were quiet. The lines at the various food outlets were never that long, with the exception of the upstairs BBQ place. Our cruise was great.

We are already planning our next Carnival Cruise, although we will now only go on Dream class or larger boats.

Thank you for reading.

Where do I find the behind the scenes tour to book it. Is it in our excursions? As for that smell. I found it on the Breeze by the Tides Bar which is by the aft pool. I think there is a vent that lets that sewer smell waft up into the air. Pretty nasty. I just avoided that area.

8 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Where do I find the behind the scenes tour to book it. Is it in our excursions? As for that smell. I found it on the Breeze by the Tides Bar which is by the aft pool. I think there is a vent that lets that sewer smell waft up into the air. Pretty nasty. I just avoided that area.

On board, go to the excursions desk to book behind the scenes.

• Like 1