Orange Party

Beachfrog

Received a new email from Holland America and it mentioned an Orange Party. Being new to HAL, I did not know about this.  Sounds like fun!  Are these parties well attended?  Have you gone?  Love the idea of seeing everyone in orange.

We had an Orange party on Nieuw Statendam premier.I believe it started around 10 pm in the Billboard on Board area.

They had special orange drinks for purchase and gave out orange hats,beads,glasses and wigs. 

They also passed special finger foods.

I believe it was well attended.

• Like 1

I'm on Maasdam, and was told there would be some type of orange day or event during this cruise. We're halfway done, but no word about when it will be. 

Was possible the HAL email was about the King's birthday,  April 25? We were on Maasdam last April for that (and HAL sent an email asking us to wear orange that day) but the only celebration I know of was around the aft pool. There was a special menu that included some traditional Dutch dishes at dinner. 

Hi Lovely other - I'd be curious which ship Beachfrog booked? Only the two newest have Club Orange and it's probably a tie-in with that and past Holland history. I understand your feeling. I think they have a tough image to overcome, not only from the Northern Ireland reference, but also (this is just my personal reaction) I cringe at the thought of someone getting the impression that I support a particular U.S. politician. Before anyone yells back, I know it is not about that - but it still bothers me! I would hate to have been the marketing people given the task of overcoming those gut reactions and making orange "cool"! 

We had a Orange Party a couple of weeks ago on the Maasdam. Why? Annual Netherlands King’s Celebration.

Received a Hal E-mail the day before we left about bringing  “Orange” clothing to celebrate Kings Day but we were packed! Did not attend.

Other’s said they had fun.

5 hours ago, Lovely other said:

I’m a bit adverse but that’s because I live in Northern Ireland where things concerning orange have a whole different meaning ! 

Enjoy the party 🎉🎊 

I understand the Irish hesitation on this issue, but the Orange refers to the House of Orange, part of the Netherlands history and monarchy.   I keep reminding myself that the flag of the Irish Republic is Green White and Orange.   

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We had a Orange Party a couple of weeks ago on the Maasdam. Why? Annual Netherlands King’s Celebration.

We had an orange party on the P’dam as well.  Well Orange was appreciated you could attend if you didn’t have any 😉 

Staff wore orange ribbons all day and that evening many of them dressed up in orange wigs, hats, etc.

It was a nice evening.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dfish said:

I understand the Irish hesitation on this issue, but the Orange refers to the House of Orange, part of the Netherlands history and monarchy.   I keep reminding myself that the flag of the Irish Republic is Green White and Orange.   

And that is how the Orange Order here got there name ... from William of Orange . Thankfully they seem to be on the wain here now ... 

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, metairiegal said:

Do people wear orange all day, or is it only for a party that is held at night?

We were on the Maasdam for 3 segments over the summer. There was an Orange party on each segment, held in the Crow's Nest at about 9:30 pm. It was well attended - the Hotel Director, Captain, and many staff were there. There was dancing to the DJ's music and the bar tenders wore orange vests and some had orange wigs. Food was passed around, including Dutch buns and other Dutch foods. You had to buy your own drinks but it might have been Happy Hour. It usually was 9-10 pm in the Crow's Nest. There were tee shirts for sale in the shops - orange with the words Orange Party in large white letters. I didn't see many people wearing them. Some people brought their own orange items with them. A few people wore them all day.

I thought on the small ship Maasdam it produced a convivial atmosphere between staff and guests. The Hotel Director Florin Dragomir told us he likes to see the guests enjoy themselves. Also it reinforced HAL's Dutch origins.

4 hours ago, ScottishMaid said:

We were on the Maasdam for 3 segments over the summer. There was an Orange party on each segment, held in the Crow's Nest at about 9:30 pm. It was well attended - the Hotel Director, Captain, and many staff were there. There was dancing to the DJ's music and the bar tenders wore orange vests and some had orange wigs. Food was passed around, including Dutch buns and other Dutch foods. You had to buy your own drinks but it might have been Happy Hour. It usually was 9-10 pm in the Crow's Nest. There were tee shirts for sale in the shops - orange with the words Orange Party in large white letters. I didn't see many people wearing them. Some people brought their own orange items with them. A few people wore them all day.

I thought on the small ship Maasdam it produced a convivial atmosphere between staff and guests. The Hotel Director Florin Dragomir told us he likes to see the guests enjoy themselves. Also it reinforced HAL's Dutch origins.

Thanks for the info.  I happen to have orange tops for day and for night, so I will definitely bring something.