Meraviglia YC Experience - Baltic Itinerary

Captain-John

7 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The crew do get moved about, DCG, rarely mid-contract (though that can happen, too), but they get assigned to different regions all the time.

We're booked on Preziosa for this time next year - it'll be our 3rd on her (2nd in YC).  If it's even half as good as our first YC experience on her, it'll be a fantastic cruise.

We're heading off in the morning for our Seaview cruise on Wednesday (overnighting in Rome) then it's Meraviglia in October.

Nice to know you've got the cruises coming up (and your Premium+ package, if I remember correctly). It'll be nice to hear how they go, if you feel like sharing. Have a wonderful time on the Seaview. 

I'll certainly be reporting back on whether the upgrade was worth it and also food and bar menus.  We're not planning to do much, if anything, in the ports.  We've been to them all before and the ship is mainly the destination this time, so I won't have much to say on that subject.

G ... so sorry, too, that you had to cancel.  However, Azamara  is a very nice replacement, that's for sure!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I want to thank Captain John for this absolutely stellar review! The photos alone were worth it for me, to say nothing of the very detailed descriptions of life onboard, the videos, the details about the ports you visited, and so on. Simply delightful, again especially the photos! We are cruising on the Meraviglia in December and are hoping we run into Alex, the excellent barman (though I don't know if the same crew that serves the Northern European routes does the Miami-based ones, too.) If Beamafar happens to read this, maybe she can shed some light on that. Captain John also mentions the Preziosa and we have a cabin booked on that ship for next May. I know I'd be delighted to hear about your trip on that ship, as well. Once again, many thanks.

I'm so glad you found it a useful account of our experience and thank you for your kind comments. Yes we're sailing Preziosa on October 2 in YC - I'll endeavour to do a similar style review of that trip as well, complete with photos.

I've not been around lately, but I usually reappear on these boards in the build up to my next cruise (5 weeks to go!).

13 hours ago, Beamafar said:

The crew do get moved about, DCG, rarely mid-contract (though that can happen, too), but they get assigned to different regions all the time.

We're booked on Preziosa for this time next year - it'll be our 3rd on her (2nd in YC).  If it's even half as good as our first YC experience on her, it'll be a fantastic cruise.

We're heading off in the morning for our Seaview cruise on Wednesday (overnighting in Rome) then it's Meraviglia in October.

Have a fabulous time on Seaview, Bea! :)

12 hours ago, hamrag said:

Bon Voyage!

As far as October is concerned, still disappointed we will not meet you....we cancelled due to MIL 90th birthday, even my wife overlooked that when we booked. Instead we are sailing two B2B 7 nighters on Azamara in the Caribbean, which are replacement cruises for ex-Cuba itineraries at incredibly reduced prices and loads of OBC. All designed to entice and certainly hooked us for our first time on Az.

Sorry to hear you've had to cancelled your planned cruise, although the replacement sounds absolutely fantastic. Have a wonderful time if we don't speak beforehand.

Bea, I know you have said probably spend much more time on ship than touring this trip. Notice you are in La Spezia, and the last time there we walked off the ship and boarded a boat heading to Portovenere a lovely little fishing village.....just a thought....enjoy, and imbibe P+ whatever else you do!

G!  ... We had booked a bus tour without guide to Florence and Pisa with TuscanyBus and only found out on Friday last that it had been cancelled as not enough people booked it; we've ended up plan-less for La Spezia, so thank you so much for that suggestion.  👍  😘

43 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the Cinque Terre from La Spezia, but presume you have been before if you aren't going this time, Bea?

That is one fantastic trip, and also assumed with Bea being well travelled they had done it. If not, that is absolutely the trip to do from La Spezia.....much closer than doing such from Livorno!

• Like 1

Nope ... haven't done Cinque Terra, lads.  I was hoping our travelling companions would be up for it but they spent a few days in the area last year.

We're not adventurous enough to DIY it (don't trust Italian transport to make it back to the ship in time lol).  I've been tempted to follow others off the ship but am afraid they may get the impression I'm stalking them lol.

I've even taken down very specific directions from CC posters on how best to do it but always end up saying "next cruise, for sure".  🙄

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We're not adventurous enough to DIY it (don't trust Italian transport to make it back to the ship in time lol).  I've been tempted to follow others off the ship but am afraid they may get the impression I'm stalking them lol.

I've even taken down very specific directions from CC posters on how best to do it but always end up saying "next cruise, for sure".  🙄

It seems impossible for there not to be a ship tour....it is worth putting up with all the downsides of doing such!! Failing that, at least Portovenere is one of the five. Enjoy, no matter what!

On 5/31/2019 at 2:19 PM, Beamafar said:

We'll be on Meraviglia for 23 nights in YC from Oct 18th next;  I'll probably post menus and photos of food, etc, (though it may not be a 'Live' report) so you'll get some idea of what to expect.

Beamafar...I'm going to be debarking as you embark on the 18th! If I see you we can bark at each other!

Here's a question: What is the cruise staff demographic like on MSC? Is it mainly Italian i.e. the stewards, kitchen staff, wait staff, etc...? I am guessing it is NOT similar to lines like Carnival/Princess/Royal...etc...

Howard

10 hours ago, HLR said:

Beamafar...I'm going to be debarking as you embark on the 18th! If I see you we can bark at each other!

Here's a question: What is the cruise staff demographic like on MSC? Is it mainly Italian i.e. the stewards, kitchen staff, wait staff, etc...? I am guessing it is NOT similar to lines like Carnival/Princess/Royal...etc...

Howard

It is certainly not mainly Italian, other than officers and senior posts. It is much more similar to other cruiselines.

Indeed, the crew demographic is similar to other lines. India and the Philippines are represented strongly as is Eastern Europe but there are probably 50 or more different nationalities like most other lines.

It is true that the Captains and senior officers are more likely to be Italian but they are definitely a minority.

Hello Captain, 

Every time this thread is resurrected I go back and watch the videos. I am now sure no matter how much champagne & JW Blue I have, my subconscious will get me to bed 😂😂😂😂😂

Not trying to be controversial here but we have found staff on other lines to be more ‘in your face’ so to speak. Whether you want them to be or not! Such as trying to dance with you walking through the buffet and the pre-programmed “have a nice day”

The cruise directors are also less annoying IMO, I really couldn’t care less when Bingo is starting, especially when I’m fast asleep having an afternoon nap! You don’t get that on MSC 😀

Hi Mark & Jane

Glad to hear the videos will have you navigating the journey like a pro, regardless of your, ahem, condition. 😛

The vast majority of other major cruise lines are catering for the Americans, who seem to like that kind of thing for some inexplicable reason - so the poor staff are trained to do this as they are told this will 'improve' the customer experience - what?!

It's part of the appeal of MSC for me (and probably some of the crew who chose to work!) that they aren't forced into that kind of 'fun' and it's a bit more low key on the 'entertainment' front.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Redlondon said:

I read that you have to be out of cabin by 8am, when sailing on Fantasia in Dubai last year we used our Black perk to stay in cabin 2hrs later. Did they not allow this on Meraviglia? 

I didn't ask. 😞 I should have. In October, we dock at 12pm in Barcelona. I'm hoping to speak nicely to them and keep the cabin as late as possible as well as have lunch before leaving (although I know it's a roll of the dice r.e lunch).

Definitely don't want kicked out of the cabin at 8am or even 10am if we don't dock until 12pm.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

I didn't ask. 😞 I should have. In October, we dock at 12pm in Barcelona. I'm hoping to speak nicely to them and keep the cabin as late as possible as well as have lunch before leaving (although I know it's a roll of the dice r.e lunch).

Definitely don't want kicked out of the cabin at 8am or even 10am if we don't dock until 12pm.

You will need to leave cabin by 10 or 11am, but they will store your luggage behind the concierge desk. We found them very accommodating with similar timings in Marseille....ship docked at noon and we asked to remain on board until 2 hours before sailaway, which was 5 or 6pm, and perfect for our 9pm flight. You continue to use all the YC facilities, including food and drinks until you leave the ship! For showering later in day, the YC pool showers are there and stacks of room to change in the pool deck WC, which is always very clean.

We arranged it all with Head Butler, and we also made the YC Director aware of our plans.

Hope you get similar extension, to suit your plans.

Ah excellent - I also recall Bea being allowed to stay onboard until well after lunch on one of her cruises. You were very lucky to manage 5 or 6pm. 🙂

I'll split the difference on the cabin and ask our butler for 10.30am - seems like the sweet spot to me!

Being able to use all the facilities sounds ideal actually. We're staying on in Barcelona for a couple of nights, but the hotel check-in isn't until 3pm. So why waste some of our holiday sitting around waiting to start the next segment of it when we can just go from the YC pool to the hotel in a seamless maneuver?!

It's little touches like this that count in MSC's favour from a guest experience point of view. Very little skin off their back to allow us to stay, but makes a big and pleasant impact on my final impression of the cruise and would definitely influence future bookings.