NFL and Fall Cruising

Hi All! So I have a very random question. My DH and I are huge football fans (NFL) and we are sailing on Anthem in the fall during football season. Do they typically have the games available to watch in bars/at the pool? It won't make or break the trip for us at all, just curious as I know we will both want to check scores at some point!

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Kayla103 said:

Hi All! So I have a very random question. My DH and I are huge football fans (NFL) and we are sailing on Anthem in the fall during football season. Do they typically have the games available to watch in bars/at the pool? It won't make or break the trip for us at all, just curious as I know we will both want to check scores at some point!

Thanks!

If there are multiple games on at the same time, they will pick one, you won't get a choice.

You can always stream the games. My husband last year on the jewel TA streamed the eagles Dallas Sunday night game at 2am since we were in the middle of the Atlantic. Wasnt the greatest but hey, its football 😎

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

You can always stream the games. My husband last year on the jewel TA streamed the eagles Dallas Sunday night game at 2am since we were in the middle of the Atlantic. Wasnt the greatest but hey, its football 😎

We are hoping to not have to take out our phones at all this trip. So if we miss the games, we miss them. But it's good to know 🙂

9 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If there are multiple games on at the same time, they will pick one, you won't get a choice.

Dang. Again not make or break, just a curiosity

Just now, Kayla103 said:

We are hoping to not have to take out our phones at all this trip. So if we miss the games, we miss them. But it's good to know 🙂

You're better than us. I cannot shut my phone off!  We need them for work but I love sitting out on the promenade deck with my headphones watching a movie (not titanic) and enjoying the view.

Just now, jean87510 said:

watching a movie (not titanic)

HAHAHA! 

Yeah, we figured if someone needs us THAT badly they can call the cruise line. I already told work, I won't be available so don't call. That thing is getting shut off and stuck in a safe. 

16 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

5 minutes ago, Kayla103 said:

We cruise quite often during March Madness. I'm a huge Syracuse Orange fan. There have been times when they were showing a different game and I have asked to have the channel changed and they obliged. The bar/lounge was not crowded when I did this and I always asked the other patrons if they minded first. It's worth a shot to at least ask.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We cruise quite often during March Madness. I'm a huge Syracuse Orange fan. There have been times when they were showing a different game and I have asked to have the channel changed and they obliged. The bar/lounge was not crowded when I did this and I always asked the other patrons if they minded first. It's worth a shot to at least ask.

Thanks! That is good to know. I'm a huge Steelers fan and my husband is a huge Eagles fan. Plus, we play recreational fantasy football, so we like to keep up with our teams. 

36 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

The difference there is that every March Madness game is on some national network. 

Here, there will be multiple games showing on the same network. So even if the bar is empty, unless RC has a package where they get all the games they won't have the ability to show every Sunday afternoon game. 

Typically IIRC the RC ships leaving out of the Caribbean have Miami local networks, so whatever game is being seen in South Florida is the game they will see. I assume if it is leaving from NYC it will have the NYC networks. 

The good news is you will see football, what teams, who knows?

Last time we were on Anthem there were 2 games at 1PM and 2 games at 4:30PM.  What games that are usually shown are nationally televised games.  Could be FOX or CBS or both.  Someone mentioned Miami and NYC, makes just as much sense as other random predictions.  It's just that Miami and the Jets are rarely the teams televised so I'm not sure that's it.  I remember cruising from Cape Liberty expecting to see the Jets-Patriots game, but it wasn't televised on the Anthem. Local network feeds are never used on RCI, even in port.

The games are shown on the 2 ESPN Caribbean channels and are available on any TV including your cabin.

Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night games are also shown, plus Saturday late in the season.

Maybe someday we will get to know the secret formula RCI uses to purchase games?

I have purchased a TV tuner for my laptop and use it if we are cruising from a US port on a Sunday.  I've been able to watch the local networks until sail-a-way.

We have been on a few cruises during football season and have always been able to catch the games we wanted to see. The last time was on the Freedom and they had all the games on in the "On Air Club". We ended up making Nacho plates up in the windjammer, grabbing Beers, Pizza & sandwiches in the Promenade Cafe and bringing it all down and creating our own little sports bar! It was a good time and they ended up sending bar servers down to keep the drinks flowing. If the game you are trying to see is one of the national games, it could be on in most bars or lounges or maybe even the pool deck.  

Have a great time! 

PATRIOTS & TB12 for 7 LFG!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Just now, gsarnow said:

Will they have Sunday night football if it is on ABC? It looks like the ships don’t get the major U.S networks.

Yes.

They generally carry US football games, though if there is more than one on at the same time, you won't get a choice.