Sydney Hotel

1 hour ago, azgrandmax3 said:

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Old City The Rocks? Any views on it?

We stayed there in March for 4 nights.  It was very convenient to the cruise terminal and everything in the Rocks area.  Here is a view from our room..   Most mornings there was a cruise ship blocking the view of the Opera House. 

Sydney Harbor.JPG

Edited by Kenswing

Hello.  I recently did a review of this hotel on Tripadvisor.   My husband & I were there 5 nights precruise 3/19.  The hotel is very convenient to the cruise terminal.  We were able to wheel our bags to the terminal.  Service was good at the hotel, but the rooms were tired and overpriced. 

Edited by LSGDRG

FYI:  It's close to the terminal "IF" your ship docks there.  In March, we were on the Sea Princess for 28 days.  For both embarkation and disembarkation, we docked at the White Bay Cruise Terminal, which is no where near the Rocks...

We stay there is we are sailing from the OPT, demand is high, so prices are, it’s a little tired but a great location. Have a couple more bookings for future cruises. Watch you prices for a bargain price as they fluctuate frequently.

what ship are you sailing (and even when) and I’m sure we can confirm which port you leave from, it’s often simple as larger ships chant go under the Bridge, RCCL and Celebrity are always OPT, Princess depend on size, other lines vary.

49 minutes ago, LSGDRG said:

Hello.  I recently did a review of this hotel on Tripadvisor.   My husband & I were there 5 nights precruise 3/19.  The hotel is very convenient to the cruise terminal.  We were able to wheel our bags to the terminal.  Service was good at the hotel, but the rooms were tired and overpriced. 

Thanks for your input.  Another question if you do not mind. We are arriving the day before our cruise on the Majestic.  Is this an area where there are things to do and see during the early evening?  Appreciate your and all other comments.

There are numerous restaurants & pubs nearby.  Some of the pubs have live music. There were lots of people out & about in the area during the early evening.  It is also not a long walk to Circular Quay  

Agree Hol Inn Old Sydney is an older hotel, but clean and well cared for. Staff very professional and most helpful. There is a small self service laundry room if you will be travelling prior to arrival. Swimming pool on rooftop has good views but quite small. Plenty of pool towels on the rooftop deck.We had read taxi from airport was $50-60 Aus, but we paid $110 Aus, including tip as we arrived during rush hour. We were too early for check in, but staff stored our bags and gave us use of facilities to freshen up before  we  explored the area. They rang as soon as room available.

We had breakfast included in our package..was very good with a wide choice. of both hot and cold items...cheaper price if pre book..even the evening before, Otherwise expensive. Several pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance, some with musical entertainment in the evenings. About a half mile walk to Opera House with many restaurants between Circular Quay and the Opera House.

Not sure if any hotels in this area are 'reasonable' but definitely worth booking flexible rate and checking regularly.

Easy walk to Rocks' market (only weekends), Harbour Bridge and Pitt Street for shopping.

We cruised Majestic in March, from OPT. Easy walk with large bags from hotel to baggage drop which starts at 9am. We dropped big bags early, went back for breakfast , had a stroll around under bridge, then checked out of hotel and went to check in for embarkation by about 11am,

We would return if sailing from Sydney in the future.

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, azgrandmax3 said:

Thanks for your input.  Another question if you do not mind. We are arriving the day before our cruise on the Majestic.  Is this an area where there are things to do and see during the early evening?  Appreciate your and all other comments.

Majestic will definitely leave from the OPT the Rocks.