Just a few notes regarding our current Koningsdam cruise

Despegue

Well, we are now in Valetta, Malta and I have a couple of minutes to give you a small update regarding what is happening on HAL’s largest...

* The welcome Aboard buffet on Lido Market was absolutely stunning.  FRESH Oysters, crablegs, clams, razor clams, etc etc. 

For us at least a first to see this onboard a HAL vessel that is doing a regular cruise.

* Food is the best we have seen on HAL.

The MDR serves delicious menus, lots if lamb by the way and portions that are large enough.

The Sushi for lunch at Lido Market has been greatly improved and even includes sashimi and very inventive, attractive choices made by the Nami sushi chef. Not sure if other vessels have seen the same imorovement.

* Service: mixed bag here.

Most crew is as always HAL-friendly but we have

seen some overworked crew and some grumpy crew as well, which is not normal for HAL. In the MDR, head waiters, assistant Maitre D’s and Maitre D’s are noted for their total absence except running around.

* The Signature Beverage Package:

UNLIMITED. I say again, UNLIMITED NON- alcoholic drinks. The 15 beverage limit is ONLY VALID FOR ALCOHOLIC DRINKS.

ANY drink of 11$ or less is included. except large bottles of Evian or San Pelegrino ( and those are currently also included as no-more Perrier onboard)

I trust that this settles the discussion once and for all.

* NO surcharge for a second main dish although portions are plenty.

* Pinnacle grill serves amazing food.

new items are great.

my Filet steak was fork tender and of excellent taste. Maybe a tad dryer than the absolute best South African and Arentinian beef ( best beef in the World without antibiotics and hormones).

* Orange Party seems to become a new tradition.

bring Orange on your next cruise .

27D2E554-2AEF-422E-9517-142D51390DA3.jpeg

A7306EE9-E7BD-46C1-B398-6CE6E292E2D6.jpeg

0A3A7234-698F-49C2-9AAE-C6FE0D3CCAC0.jpeg

Edited by Despegue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

What is an orange party? :classic_blush: 

Never mind, I found this:

What’s the Orange Party?

Orange is the color most associated with the Netherlands and the House of Orange, Holland’s royal family. In keeping with our proud Dutch heritage, we invite you to a new onboard celebration inspired by the Netherland’s national holiday, King’s Day: The Orange Party. Just wear your favorite orange clothes and accessories, or purchase Orange Party essentials in our shops, and get ready for the time of your life.

What happens at the Orange Party?

Enjoy Dutch-inspired appetizers, beer, cocktails, live music and more, plus a festive display of national pride with a sea of orange!

When and where is the party?

Holland America Line is hosting the Orange Party on board each of our ships on one evening every cruise.

What attire should I pack for the Orange Party? 

Pack some orange clothing and/or accessories to wear for this special celebration! 

Edited by Pie R Squared
added info
  • Like 1

Excited to hear that sushi on the buffet has been upgraded! We will be on Kdam in 13 days.

What is the dress code for the Orange Party? The only piece of orange clothing that I have is a NY Mets t-shirt.

I assume the Dutch alcoholic beverages and beer are not free. Hopefully the food is!

They are AWESOME!

but they are disembarking today In Civitavecchia, together with me.

they will have a new band embarking today.

by the way, Billboard on Board is simply stunning.

2 guys, Michael and Tom , who are very talented and are great entertainment.

• Like 1