Non- refundable to refundable?

If I pay the difference in deposit, can I change my non-refundable deposit into a refundable deposit, please? Seems I have read of people doing this. Then if I had to cancel later,  I would get my deposit and any payments made back if I cancel before final payment?

No, that is not allowed. Once the deposit is put down on a non-refundable booking, it is non-refundable for the life of the reservation. Otherwise people could just pay the extra to switch and then immediately cancel and get the full deposit and the extra paid refunded.

Choosing refundable vs. non-refundable has to be made prior to initial booking; you can go the other direction (reprice from a refundable to a non-refundable at current rates) but not from non-refundable to refundable.

This is from the docs at http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/LTYA_News/17056800_Nonrefundable_FAQ_News.pdf

21. Should my clients opt to reserve a non-refundable deposit program at time of booking, are they eligible to switch to a regular pricing option at any point prior to sailing? Any booking originally created as or switched to a non-refundable deposit fare will maintain this status for the life of the reservation, regardless of subsequent fare program adjustments.

10 minutes ago, 39august said:

If I pay the difference in deposit, can I change my non-refundable deposit into a refundable deposit, please? Seems I have read of people doing this. Then if I had to cancel later,  I would get my deposit and any payments made back if I cancel before final payment?

you didn't

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bradison said:

It was my understanding that the NR deposit isn't really lost completely but that a portion of it can be used towards a future cruise.  How much of a hit do you take?

Each change or cancel costs $100 per person.