Bug/Mosquito spray

Roo

Hi,  I’m looking for advice from those who have been to Alaska hiking in parks or near areas where this is required:  what bug/mosquito spray/repellant did you use and did you find it effective?  I read somewhere that there is a certain local brand, but would like to come prepared.  Thanks.

Edited by Roo

We've been to Alaska 5 times, always take something containing DEET, and have never used any insect repellant (and I am a HUGE insect magnet).  This includes hiking in to fish or see bears fishing on streams, walking through forests, ATVing in forests … all potential places to encounter them.  When and where are you going?

I use a mosquito repellent lotion on my body and then spray on some on my clothes. The lotion is “Sawyer Products Picaridin insect repellent”. Then Off deep woods dry spray on my and clothes. 

I like the lotion as it seems to last longer than spray alone

1 hour ago, zelker said:

We've been to Alaska 5 times, always take something containing DEET, and have never used any insect repellant (and I am a HUGE insect magnet).  This includes hiking in to fish or see bears fishing on streams, walking through forests, ATVing in forests … all potential places to encounter them.  When and where are you going?

Hi there,

We are doing a cruise tour mid July.  My DH is also an insect magnet and we certainly don't want to board the boat (after a week in land) in discomfort.  Thanks for your advice.  Any particular brand you recommend?

Having said that, do you or does anyone have any suggestions for topical relief from bites?

Thanks,

Nancy

Edited by Roo
typo

30 minutes ago, rma2001 said:

I use a mosquito repellent lotion on my body and then spray on some on my clothes. The lotion is “Sawyer Products Picaridin insect repellent”. Then Off deep woods dry spray on my and clothes. 

I like the lotion as it seems to last longer than spray alone.

Thanks for your advice.  As I mentioned earlier, do you have any suggestions for topical relief from bites?

Nancy

6 minutes ago, Roo said:

Thanks for your advice.  As I mentioned earlier, do you have any suggestions for topical relief from bites?

Nancy

bite.JPG.b2952bad316595faad20f323c24065e6.JPG

This is my favorite bite relief. We also took Deep Woods Off when we went last year but never needed it. 

• Like 1

For mosquito bites (and don't laugh) I take my finger nail and make an X pattern over the bite hard enough that I can see the indent in my skin.  Don't ask me why but it works for me - maybe it releases the pressure and the toxin of the bite.  Who knows.  LOL  The other thing that I find that works for any kind of bug bite or skin irritation that causes itching is a 1% hydrocortisone ointment which is made specifically for topical itching/irritation.  Easy to find at your local store and inexpensive, too (we use whatever the store generic brand is, works the same as name brands).

I would say not to overthink what specific brand of insect repellant you get, just get something with DEET and you should be covered should the little "buggers" be out.  Would suggest you do like we do and just put the bottle in a Ziploc bag and throw it in your day pack, then if you do happen to encounter any, you can spray it on right then.  

July is like, peak season for mosquitoes LOL. My most recent cruise there was in early July and they were out in full force, especially in Juneau near Mendenhall. I used OFF Deep Woods and it mostly kept them away. For relief from bites though, I also recommend the After Bite that another poster mentioned above...it works well and the pen style dispenser makes it easy to throw in your bag just in case. 

We were in Alaska late June 2018 and stopped to hike to Byars Lake In Denali State Park.  The mosquitos were terrible - and huge!! We used Ben's https://bens30.com/ (we used 100) and it worked really well.  It's a small spray bottle, so it's easy to throw in a backpack.  We always carried it with us, but really never needed it again.  

We understood why the mosquito is jokingly called the Alaska state bird!  Great hike btw and I highly recommend it and the Veteran's Memorial on the drive to Denali National Park!

We are currently in Denali after our cruise, and the bugs arent bad right now thankfully...but in terms of relief for bites, our family has always used the "hot water method". Apply hot water to the bite area - as hot as you can stand it (without burnijg your skin obviously).  It might seem really itchy at first when the water hits it, but keep it under the water for a minute or so.  Relief lasts for hours. Also works for poison ivy rash relief.

And here is an extra piece of advice - even if you are wearing a long sleeved shirt, spray some bug spray on top of your clothes. It was a warm day in Juneau for us last year and we were doing some salmon fishing on the dock at the hatchery and the mosquitoes were pretty thick. My daughter took her jacket off, but wasn't too worried as she was wearing a long sleeved tee - but it was thin. And don't you know those little suckers bit her right through her T-Shirt! She got back to the cabin that night and took a shower and realized she had 16 bites on her upper arm. They really went for her - she has always been a magnet. Anyway, lesson learned - we will spray our clothes from now on as well!

On 6/2/2019 at 10:44 AM, Roo said:

Nancy

Thank you all for your advice.  You have confirmed my thoughts about what I would use for repellant and topical relief (as well as clothing etc.).  The Cruise Critic people ROCK!

Regards,

Nancy 

• 4 weeks later...

A recent trip to Costa Rica with a long rainforest hike taught me the best products are on Amazon by Sawyer.  The more potent spray was used for clothing and shoes and they have a non toxic not sticky spray for the body.  I am a mosquito magnet and after hours in the rainforest, not one bite at all.  Watched huge bugs biting fellow travelers though.  I have been eaten since childhood and trust me, this stuff works.

Made in Alaska, Alpenglow Skin Care:

https://www.alpenglowskincare.com/collections/alaskas-best-insect-repellent

I purchased this before our Alaska vacation last summer. We went camping on the Kenai Peninsula after our cruise. Yes, we brought backpacks and sleeping bags, etc, and we stayed in a public use cabin in the Kenai Wilderness. This bug repellent was completely effective. I also LIKED using it, unlike other products that have me worried about food preparation, etc., following use...or even eating if I have it stuck to my hands.