Ketchikan Creek Salmon Spawning

FaithPlus1

I know planning a trip around at the hopes of seeing salmon spawn is a bit foolish but it's something that I have always intrigued me. I know salmon runs are typically hard to predict aside from saying that they occur in the summer. I read that 2018 was a bad season for salmon. Are there any predictions of when they will spawn this year? Just from reading past things on Tripadvisor it seems that the spawning at Ketchikan Creek seems to really just been end of July, August, and beginning of September. Is the middle of June traditionally too early?

I was in Ketchikan in 2018 on September 5th.Ā  Some Salmon were still spawning but it was mostly over and the gulls were feasting on the dead bodies.Ā  End of August would have been better viewing.

Ā 

We saw them at virtually all ports on that trip which began August 30th in Seward.

Ā 

Here is some video from a stream next to the MendenhallĀ Glacier Visitor Center parking lot in Juneau:

September 2, 2018.

Ā 

We have seen the best salmon activity on our cruises that fell between mid July and mid to lateĀ August. We did one trip over July 4 and there was very little happeningĀ Ā - our May and June trips there were no salmon.Ā 

If you have to get back to work by the second week of August, I would go to Alaska the first week of August and hope.Ā  I saw some very good activity in Steep Creek at Mendenhall in the last week of July one year, and a lot of fins and eagerly jumping salmon out in the bay inĀ Sitka in mid July, waiting to get back into the hatchery waters where they were born.Ā  Definitely the best salmon I've ever seen were in Ketchikan in late August...butĀ I saw a few jumping at the fish ladder in mid July one year.Ā  So, I think there's hope for you.Ā  Just know that there are no guarantees.Ā 

Ā 

Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier) late July:Ā Ā https://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/juneau-alaska.html

Ketchikan, late August:Ā Ā https://www.melindabrasher.com/2017/02/salmon-in-ketchikan-alaska.html

Ā 

Ā Ā Ā 

This will make people laugh. My first trip to Alaska was over the 4th of July and we spent the 4th in Ketchikan. I saw a ton of people around Creek Street and assumed it was because the salmon were running. Nope - they were having rubber ducky races in that area as part of the 4th festivities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Melinda Brasher said:

If you have to get back to work by the second week of August, I would go to Alaska the first week of August and hope.Ā  I saw some very good activity in Steep Creek at Mendenhall in the last week of July one year, and a lot of fins and eagerly jumping salmon out in the bay inĀ Sitka in mid July, waiting to get back into the hatchery waters where they were born.Ā  Definitely the best salmon I've ever seen were in Ketchikan in late August...butĀ I saw a few jumping at the fish ladder in mid July one year.Ā  So, I think there's hope for you.Ā  Just know that there are no guarantees.Ā 

Ā 

Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier) late July:Ā Ā https://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/juneau-alaska.html

Ketchikan, late August:Ā Ā https://www.melindabrasher.com/2017/02/salmon-in-ketchikan-alaska.html

Ā 

Ā Ā Ā 

Thanks :) Yeah I think on this trip I am going to have to prioritize things. I found a great last minute rate that leaves this June, but I know really the first week of August is ideal for me based on what I want to see.It's either watching salmon swim upstream for additional $$$, or save a lot of $$$$ but no salmon šŸ˜ž

5 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Thanks šŸ™‚ Yeah I think on this trip I am going to have to prioritize things. I found a great last minute rate that leaves this June, but I know really the first week of August is ideal for me based on what I want to see.It's either watching salmon swim upstream for additional $$$, or save a lot of $$$$ but no salmon šŸ˜ž

If you wait a little, you might get great deals on August fares too.Ā  The good deals don't usually start showing up until about 3-6 weeks beforehand.Ā  But, if you've already bought, you'll love Alaska in June.Ā  And maybe you can go back in August someday.Ā Ā 

I haven't spent any $$ on airfare, hotel, or anything yet.Ā  I just have been researching rates. I see that the 3 week mark is usually pretty good. I just hope for the first week of August something good shows up if I wait, otherwise it's next year for me!

• 1 month later...