Question about Multi-Device MedallionNet Voyage package sale

ams cruiser

My husband and I will be taking a 10-day Canada/New England cruise this fall.  If we purchase the multi-device MedallionNet package, does that mean we can both use the internet at the same time?  Is $149.90 a good price for 10 days, or might it be less expensive if purchased on board the first day? (We don't have a status that would give us discounts.)  

There is a one-device package for $99.90.  Is that a package that we could share if we don't use it at the same time? When I put the 4-device package in my cart online, it asked which passenger the package was for, which made me question whether or not we could share either package.

I'm wondering why they don't have a two-device package for couples...

I tried to do a search, but couldn't find any information explaining how the packages work.  We've only been on a few cruises, and have never purchased an internet package.  Also, this will be our first Medallion cruise. 

Thanks for any advice!

I'm guessing that you have to log-in as the passenger onto the device. So, up to 4 devices can be logged into the one passenger who has the package. 

Let's say the package is under your Husband. If you only have one device for yourself (smart phone), then you can't use the ocean app for yourself while your are logged into the app as yourself. You would have to log in as your husband. You could use your smart phone for yourself, and log into the internet via a tablet. But then you couldn't use the tablet to do Ocean stuff as yourself.

Similarly, If you wanted to share one device, then when you wanted to use the internet, you would have to logout of Ocean as yourself, and then login to Ocean as your husband.

53 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

My husband and I will be taking a 10-day Canada/New England cruise this fall.  If we purchase the multi-device MedallionNet package, does that mean we can both use the internet at the same time?  Is $149.90 a good price for 10 days, or might it be less expensive if purchased on board the first day? (We don't have a status that would give us discounts.)  

There is a one-device package for $99.90.  Is that a package that we could share if we don't use it at the same time? When I put the 4-device package in my cart online, it asked which passenger the package was for, which made me question whether or not we could share either package.

I'm wondering why they don't have a two-device package for couples...

I tried to do a search, but couldn't find any information explaining how the packages work.  We've only been on a few cruises, and have never purchased an internet package.  Also, this will be our first Medallion cruise. 

Thanks for any advice!

You can share one unlimited package but can only be signed in to one device at a time using the purchaser’s information (cabin # and birthdate).

Our recent MedallionNet experience for a 14-day unlimited package on the Royal cost $120 before the cruise.  As you can see in this screenshot taken onboard the ship it was $90 when purchased during the first 24 hours of the cruise.  The option to use 4 devices simultaneously cost twice as much...$180.

I received 250 free minutes as a Captain’s Circle benefit so didn’t purchase an unlimited plan.  If I didn’t use those minutes, I would get 25% off the pre-cruise price.  However I don’t know if passengers not eligible for the free minutes would also receive a 25% discount onboard.

C9FD15F5-0D69-4647-9E7F-0696FE27129C.png

If we had the multi-device package, say in my name, could we each log in to our separate iPads (using the same login info) at the same time?  I don't know how Ocean works, but I'm guessing it is the onboard ship application.  I understand we couldn't be on different Ocean accounts with one log in, but, for example,  could I be on Cruisecritic on one device, while my husband is checking email, under the same log on?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why just one person would need a 4-device plan.  Isn't the plan meant to be shared?

Thank you for your patience!

9 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

You can share one unlimited package but can only be signed in to one device at a time using the purchaser’s information (cabin # and birthdate).

Our recent MedallionNet experience for a 14-day unlimited package on the Royal cost $120 before the cruise.  As you can see in this screenshot taken onboard the ship it was $90 when purchased during the first 24 hours of the cruise.  The option to use 4 devices simultaneously cost twice as much...$180.

I received 250 free minutes as a Captain’s Circle benefit so didn’t purchase an unlimited plan.  If I didn’t use those minutes, I would get 25% off the pre-cruise price.  However I don’t know if passengers not eligible for the free minutes would also receive a 25% discount onboard.

C9FD15F5-0D69-4647-9E7F-0696FE27129C.png

I think I read on another thread that the discount is just for Elite or Platinum passengers.  Thanks, again!

Edited by ams cruiser
Didn't read post carefully!

13 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

If we had the multi-device package, say in my name, could we each log in to our separate iPads (using the same login info) at the same time?  I don't know how Ocean works, but I'm guessing it is the onboard ship application.  I understand we couldn't be on different Ocean accounts with one log in, but, for example,  could I be on Cruisecritic on one device, while my husband is checking email, under the same log on?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why just one person would need a 4-device plan.  Isn't the plan meant to be shared?

Thank you for your patience!

To clarify:  All passengers can log on to the Ocean Apps as themselves and use all those apps,  they just can't access the Internet at the same time without the MedallionNet package, either 2 individual packages or the 4 device package.  You may be 2 people but may like us have more than 1 device each.   I.e. your Ipads and phones can be on the internet at the same time with the 4 device package.

This may not apply to you, but for Kindles and such that can't make it past the log in web pages and get on MedallionNet themselves, I got a travel router off Amazon for $45 (GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router) but it needs USB 5v power source or  110v power, other routers that have a battery look to be available.  The router lets you connect the router to MedallionNet and creates a private WiFi network in your cabin or wherever.

Edited by Ferd Berfle
added USB power
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

I think I read on another thread that the discount is just for Elite or Platinum passengers.  Thanks, again!

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience to know if that’s accurate or not...hopefully someone can provide an answer.

To use the on board medallion features, no charge, no internet purchase required, everyone has their own log in.

To use the internet there is a charge. 1 device package means only one device can be logged in at a time. To use a different device you have to log out from the first device, then log in, same ID/Password, on the second device.

4 device package means up to 4 devices can be logged in at the same time. I haven't tried it but believe each has their own ID/Password. This could also be referred to as a family package.

• Like 2

So now I'm confused. We will be on a 12-day British Isles Cruise in August. Currently I can purchase Medallion net for $74.99 for the entire voyage. It doesn't indicate whether this is one device multiple devices or for that matter any device. It is the only package being offered, except for individual minutes. Can you only purchase the package for multiple devices once on board?

3 hours ago, skynight said:

To use the on board medallion features, no charge, no internet purchase required, everyone has their own log in.

To use the internet there is a charge. 1 device package means only one device can be logged in at a time. To use a different device you have to log out from the first device, then log in, same ID/Password, on the second device.

4 device package means up to 4 devices can be logged in at the same time. I haven't tried it but believe each has their own ID/Password. This could also be referred to as a family package.

Had the same question for our upcoming cruise since the family will be in multiple rooms. Called Princess and the explanation was that if I purchase 1 - 4 device package under my name, 4 different devices can be logged on at the same time. Those 4 devices can be any devices you want them to be, i.e. 4 different iPhones from 4 different family members, or 4 of my personal devices, iPad, iPhone, laptop, Kindle, etc.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

To clarify:  All passengers can log on to the Ocean Apps as themselves and use all those apps,  they just can't access the Internet at the same time without the MedallionNet package, either 2 individual packages or the 4 device package.  You may be 2 people but may like us have more than 1 device each.   I.e. your Ipads and phones can be on the internet at the same time with the 4 device package.

This may not apply to you, but for Kindles and such that can't make it past the log in web pages and get on MedallionNet themselves, I got a travel router off Amazon for $45 (GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router) but it needs USB 5v power source or  110v power, other routers that have a battery look to be available.  The router lets you connect the router to MedallionNet and creates a private WiFi network in your cabin or wherever.

Thank you for this information.  We will be bringing 2 iPhones and 2 iPads, so hopefully we won't run into the same problem as a Kindle?

Edited by ams cruiser
Typed in the wrong box.

12 hours ago, skynight said:

Thank you.  This makes sense.  I wish they had a couples' package for a little less money!

9 hours ago, arucruzn said:

Had the same question for our upcoming cruise since the family will be in multiple rooms. Called Princess and the explanation was that if I purchase 1 - 4 device package under my name, 4 different devices can be logged on at the same time. Those 4 devices can be any devices you want them to be, i.e. 4 different iPhones from 4 different family members, or 4 of my personal devices, iPad, iPhone, laptop, Kindle, etc.

Hope this helps.

Yes, very helpful, thank you!  I can't imagine why we would want to be logged into our phones and our iPads at the same time, unless there's something I'm missing.

7 hours ago, Pacificlander said:

Thank you. I understand this but the only Medallion Net being offered for our cruise doesn't specify how many devices it is for. I guess I'll just assume it's for 1 device. There isn't a package being offered for 4.

Here's a flyer we received on embarkation day this month. (On the Royal.)

IMG_4599.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pacificlander said:

Thank you. I understand this but the only Medallion Net being offered for our cruise doesn't specify how many devices it is for. I guess I'll just assume it's for 1 device. There isn't a package being offered for 4.

On my cruise only the 1 device plan was offered in advance and onboard the 1 & 4 device plans were available. 

16 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

On my cruise only the 1 device plan was offered in advance and onboard the 1 & 4 device plans were available. 

Curious, how did price compare with the in advance purchase for 1 vs. the onboard price for 1?  Wondered if it was a better offer or just to wait until we board the ship.  Anyone know?

We will be sailing on the Emerald in August.  It looks like they will have the Medallion Net, but I have been seeing there is an issue with a kindle?  Could somebody explain what the issue is, that is what I use, a Kindle Fire.

Thank you,

1 hour ago, 13cheermom said:

Curious, how did price compare with the in advance purchase for 1 vs. the onboard price for 1?  Wondered if it was a better offer or just to wait until we board the ship.  Anyone know?

Advance was $120;  onboard was $90.

However I was eligible for 250 free minutes (platinum/elite) and could either use those minutes or could purchase the unlimited plan.  I am unaware if having free minutes affected the onboard price or if anyone could get it for $90 for 2 weeks.

53 minutes ago, dtagirl said:

We will be sailing on the Emerald in August.  It looks like they will have the Medallion Net, but I have been seeing there is an issue with a kindle?  Could somebody explain what the issue is, that is what I use, a Kindle Fire.

Thank you,

I don't have a Fire, but regular Kindles can't navigate the web page used to sign on to the MedallionNet internet service over WiFi.  The upshot is you'd not be able to download books using MedallionNet directly.  That may or may not be an issue.

8 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Advance was $120;  onboard was $90.

However I was eligible for 250 free minutes (platinum/elite) and could either use those minutes or could purchase the unlimited plan.  I am unaware if having free minutes affected the onboard price or if anyone could get it for $90 for 2 weeks.

So this is our first cruise with Princess, so no status for any free minutes, lol.  We are more familiar with Carnival and whenever we pre-purchase packages (internet & drinks) it is always the best and lowest possible price.  This is confusing, since some have said they noticed a better price once onboard.  We have the 7/day medallion net for 1 device $59.99 offer in our cruise manager, trying to decide if this is the best option or not.  Anyone out there know for sure?  Thanks!

For our CB December cruise, I pre-purchased separate packages for DW & myself for $69.99 each ($139.98 total). The multi-device package is now available for $149.99. Since we each have phones & I-pads or tablets, it almost makes sense to take the mulit-device package now, & cancel the other 2, unless there is a big price differential if we wait til we're onboard.

If I do cancel the original purchases now & buy the multi-device, does it work as a single transaction where I pay the difference,  or do I pay the full price now & wait for them to refund the original charges?

1 hour ago, tempus137 said:

For our CB December cruise, I pre-purchased separate packages for DW & myself for $69.99 each ($139.98 total). The multi-device package is now available for $149.99. Since we each have phones & I-pads or tablets, it almost makes sense to take the mulit-device package now, & cancel the other 2, unless there is a big price differential if we wait til we're onboard.

If I do cancel the original purchases now & buy the multi-device, does it work as a single transaction where I pay the difference,  or do I pay the full price now & wait for them to refund the original charges?

Pre-cruise - when you cancel a refund goes back to your credit card.  You book a new package and are charged accordingly.