Switching cabins with family members

Sailaway617

We usually travel with the kids.  For the booking we put one of us with each kid and then during the trip we sleep parents in balcony cabin and kids inside cabin.  I don't think we officially change it, since the last time they were still to young.  We will continue to book it this way because we get better discounts but they are now older and can be legally in their own room.

Who is moving around?

• Like 1

We did once and will never do it again. It caused several problems even though passenger services said it was easy to handle. 

Credit cards on our cruise personalizer was not changed to match new cabin numbers. 

Future cruise deposits purchased onboard were given to the wrong passengers and wasn’t recognized until weeks later when we were trying to track down why ours weren’t showing up on our captains circle accounts. We had to have releases signed by family members and faxed in before they would correct. 

Cabin keys (cards) weren’t changed correctly until second attempt. 

There were others but I can’t remembwr what they were.  It’s been 3 years since we did it. 

17 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

We did once and will never do it again. It caused several problems even though passenger services said it was easy to handle. 

22 minutes ago, suers515 said:

Who is moving around?

That’s what I am worried about so thanks for the heads up, Gotagocit.

My 92 year old mother and my brother will be in one cabin, and my 29 year old daughter will be in a cabin with me. Our cabins are not close by each other.

2 hours ago, suers515 said:

We usually travel with the kids.  For the booking we put one of us with each kid and then during the trip we sleep parents in balcony cabin and kids inside cabin.  I don't think we officially change it, since the last time they were still to young.  We will continue to book it this way because we get better discounts but they are now older and can be legally in their own room.

Who is moving around?

We have done the same thing until my kids were old enough to be booked alone.

2 hours ago, Sailaway617 said:

Has anyone ever switched cabins with family members after embarkation on Princess? I understand we will have to do this at the Pursers desk. How difficult is it? Any tips?

We did this multiple times,  what is the need to see the pursor?  For us we never put anything on the CC, but we gave everyone charge capability so didn't matter who had who's card.

• Like 1

I get an extra passkey to that room and give it to the person switching so they can get in whenever they want.  I don't change the portfolio charging bc it's already assigned to the right person. FCD can be bought with a form so that's not an issue

HOWEVER this will only work on non-medallion ships. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

We did this multiple times,  what is the need to see the pursor?  For us we never put anything on the CC, but we gave everyone charge capability so didn't matter who had who's card.

Do you mean credit card when you say CC? Thanks for the response! Good to know you didn’t have any problems. Did you switch luggage tags so bags go to the right rooms or did you have rooms close by, so it didn’t matter?

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I get an extra passkey to that room and give it to the person switching so they can get in whenever they want.  I don't change the portfolio charging bc it's already assigned to the right person 

HOWEVER this will only work on non-medallion ships

This is great info. How do you get the extra pass key? We will be on the Star, so not a medallion ship. Thanks Ombud!

always get an extra at the PSD.  They're used to it -- it's just family (even when it's my oldest adult son's room)

Re: LUGGAGE: tag the luggage with where I want it to go. 

You'll love Captain Tuvo 😊

• Like 2

Might it be possible to switch the cabins to closer together ones and/ or swap passengers before you board ? Understand changes are easier in US than UK.

We were able to put 8 year old into Parents' suite from grand father's balcony by giving steward a big tip..only 2 cabins away. Was cheaper to book that way than pay solo rate. As child didn't need room key or charging facilities, no issue with sea pass.

9 hours ago, suers515 said:

Disclaimer:  I am not judging anyone.  Just my concern.  If the children were too young to be booked on their own, wouldn't they be too young to be in a room by themselves without an adult?  

When I asked for a pass key (left mine in the room), they only allowed me to have one that would expire in 24 hours.

Edited by cr8tiv1

The last time we did this the kids were 15 and 18 but we did it when the were younger.  The kids room was always near ours and we had a key to their room.  We are doing the same thing again (on another cruise line) because of the Shareholder benefits and such.  Kids are now 18 and 21.

I think it depends on the children and there ages.  Even when my kids were 8 & 11, I would trust them in a room, they really are only in the room to sleeping anyway.  We would put them in the kids club or be with them the rest of the time.

Most cruise lines think you need to be both over 18 to share a cabin.