The new regulations for Cuba are going into effect, and it doesn't look good.

FredZiffle

The new policy toward travel to Cuba that was mentioned in April is set to go into effect June 5th.  I'm hoping for the best and maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it appears that they are completely doing away with the People to People exclusion.  Supposedly, if you've already purchased travel, you'll be grandfathered in.  That really doesn't help much except perhaps the folks who have a cruise to Cuba in the next few weeks.  No way that cruise lines will stop taking reservations so that their ships can sail to Havana with only those passengers who are grandfathered in.  I'll bet we see a slew of itinerary changes substituting some port like Nassau for Havana.  

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cacr_20190604.pdf

Edited by FredZiffle

Just sent the link to my Travel Agent but she already knew about the new regulations. We bailed on our Cuba cruise in April because we didn’t want to go to Nassau. We were able to replace the cruise with a very nice cruise to ports we love!

We are on the NCL Sun July 29th to Key West and Cuba.  If this grandfather provisions doesn't protect our trip,   Does a cruise line typically refund or just change itinerary? I'm assuming at that point you would have the option to ask for your money back.  Hmm.. guess we'll have to see.  

1 minute ago, goksucats said:

We are on the NCL Sun July 29th to Key West and Cuba.  If this grandfather provisions doesn't protect our trip,   Does a cruise line typically refund or just change itinerary? I'm assuming at that point you would have the option to ask for your money back.  Hmm.. guess we'll have to see.  

If I’m not mistaken, they change itinerary.  The cruise will be similar, but outside of “cancel for any reason” travel insurance, the only refund you’ll get is from Havana’s port fees

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kingkonig said:

If I’m not mistaken, they change itinerary.  The cruise will be similar, but outside of “cancel for any reason” travel insurance, the only refund you’ll get is from Havana’s port fees

We did purchase NCL's insurance so I guess we could just make the decision.  I'm okay with Nassau, only been once and all the time was taken up by a tour.  Would prefer a place I've never been like Montego Bay or something. Guess we'll see what happens.  

I’m booked on the July 25th Sky to Cuba. After all I’ve heard about the port and the politics at this point, I hope they take us to another country. I saw a YouTube video and the terminal is dangerous for someone like me that will be having knee replacement after the cruise. No air conditioning in the terminal, the stairs I can go down not up and they only have one small elevator. At this point they can cancel our stop in Havana and take me anywhere but the Bahamas. Don’t get me wrong about the Bahamas but I go there at least once a year.  Key West and Cozumel sounds just fine. 

4 minutes ago, pinkie60 said:

I’m booked on the July 25th Sky to Cuba. After all I’ve heard about the port and the politics at this point, I hope they take us to another country. I saw a YouTube video and the terminal is dangerous for someone like me that will be having knee replacement after the cruise. No air conditioning in the terminal, the stairs I can go down not up and they only have one small elevator. At this point they can cancel our stop in Havana and take me anywhere but the Bahamas. Don’t get me wrong about the Bahamas but I go there at least once a year.  Key West and Cozumel sounds just fine. 

Key West and Cozumel are much better than Cuba! Nassau is Nassau (enough said). 

IMO, Cuba is a one-and-done trip. The people are lovely but Cuba is a bit underwhelming. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, goksucats said:

Your cruise contract states that they can change ports at any time for any reason. You will not be given a refund, unless it's outside of final payment, or per the regular refund/cancellation schedule of NCL.

This doesn't come as a surprise for those of us in the hospitality biz and those of us who live in Florida.  There will be no unrestricted travel to Cuba until the Castro regime is totally gone.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kingkonig said:

If you booked an excursion in a canceled/changed port, you'll get a refund for that as well.  But you won't get any reimbursement for the trip itself, because the fine print definitely says everything is subject to change and as long as the ship is running they are covered.

1 hour ago, FredZiffle said:

The new policy toward travel to Cuba that was mentioned in April is set to go into effect June 5th.  I'm hoping for the best and maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it appears that they are completely doing away with the People to People exclusion.  Supposedly, if you've already purchased travel, you'll be grandfathered in.  That really doesn't help much except perhaps the folks who have a cruise to Cuba in the next few weeks.  No way that cruise lines will stop taking reservations so that their ships can sail to Havana with only those passengers who are grandfathered in.  I'll bet we see a slew of itinerary changes substituting some port like Nassau for Havana.  

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cacr_20190604.pdf

I agree with you. It looks like trips to Cuba for cruise ships (which are specifically mentioned in the order) are not happening anytime soon.

1 hour ago, goksucats said:

They typically change the itinerary, and unfortunately they do not usually give you the option of getting a refund. The cruise contract specifically addresses situations like this and allows the cruise line to change ports whenever they want and for whatever reason they want.  You might get a Key West and Jamacia or Nassau cruise, maybe even Cozumel.

19 minutes ago, GrabMyWrist said:

As it should be.

the sad thing is its not hurting the government at all its hurting all the non government people who rely on these cruise ships docking and the american dollars it brings in  - i do understand that there was plenty  of tourism before the US started going back but it will still hurt them

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, pieshops said:

the sad thing is its not hurting the government at all its hurting all the non government people who rely on these cruise ships docking and the american dollars it brings in  - i do understand that there was plenty  of tourism before the US started going back but it will still hurt them

I would imagine the Cuban government gets a nice amount from tourist visas, docking fees and passenger port taxes.

• Like 2

Just saw this on the top banner of the ncl.com website:

CUBA TRAVEL POLICY UPDATE June 4, 2019

Today, the U.S. government announced new travel restrictions to Cuba. We are closely monitoring these recent developments and any resulting impact to cruise travel to Cuba. We will communicate to our guests and travel partners as additional information becomes available.

I am hoping that people who are on the cruises that are re-routed go somewhere nice/where they

would be happy. If it were me Nassau would be a disappointment but Key West would be fine.

But that's just me....

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I would imagine the Cuban government gets a nice amount from tourist visas, docking fees and passenger port taxes.

i am sure the government  gets all of it but having spent a month  living with a cuban family in Cuba I can say first hand that the people will be severely affected by this way, way, way more then the government. 

• Like 3

Just now, Quencups said:

We are on the 6/17 Sky cruise to Cuba....lol......I guess we wait for Norwegian's official statement

We are booked the week after on 06/24.  I am up for a mystery cruise and am not stressing over something I have no control over.  I will still be on vacation.  🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

I am hoping that people who are on the cruises that are re-routed go somewhere nice/where they

would be happy. If it were me Nassau would be a disappointment but Key West would be fine.

But that's just me....

I'm with you....Key West would be fine 🙂

27 minutes ago, GrabMyWrist said:

I'm 100% okay with it. That money, ends up back in the hands of a Government that destroys its people.  

the majority of the money  that the people who run the car tours, diving trips, restaurants in their homes etc do get to keep a lot of the money, having lived with a cuban family for a month i know this first hand

• Like 3