Cuban Cruises Now Over

CORKY_Q

5 hours ago, K32682 said:

You might stand out in a crowd wearing a toque in Cuba. You will also need to know what a double-double, hat trick and a chesterfield are.  If you do not ask for a "soda" or say "huh" you'll fit in.    

Well, I do have a Maple Leaf toque, but I'd leave that at home and wear my Bobsleigh Skeleton Canada baseball cap instead.  I hate sugar in my coffee, so I never buy a "double-double" when I hit up Timmies.  I'll have to confess I'm a Penguins fan, so I do know what a Hat Trick is (plus Sid the Kid plays for them).  I don't drink pop, but I've called it pop since I was a little kid.  A chesterfield is a couch South of the Border.  I'm not sure about the "huh", though - I'm more of a "what" or "excuse me" person.. And, my little Canadian flag that the team gave me in 2003 at the World Championships sits in a nice crystal vase in my China Hutch. 😉

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I was made an "honorary" Canadian by the kids I coached and the races I ran for a particular sport.  I can sing the Canadian national anthem.  By winter boots are Made in Canada.  I have a bunch of logo'd Canadian National Team gear from a particular sport.  I have Canadian Olympic headwear from 1998 to 2018.  Do you think this would be enough for me to travel legally as a Canadian?   :classic_biggrin:🙂🇨🇦😉

NO, all that swag  won't do the trick for you.   I get it..... rhetorical question    ! 😙

image.png.d819f642a0cdce417760cb4957fa03be.png

sail.noodam@gmail.com

image.png

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2019 at 1:53 PM, erlyvon said:

I'm assuming $400 OBC was for cabin of 3 not per person?  Yes, there are 3 of us so $133.33 per person I guess in our case. However a stateroom with only 2 people also get a $400 onboard credit.   So it is per stateroom. I would have loved to have  switched to  one of the cruises they offered that overnight in Puerto Rico, but none fit with our daughter's work schedule.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, K32682 said:

Taking a U.S.-based cruise to Cuba isn't a great idea for a Canadian.  We considered joining my  brother and sister-in-law on a cruise from Tampa to Cuba last year.  They said even though they were Canadian they had to abide by the same restrictions as American cruisers meaning they couldn't walk around Havana on their own but had to take an approved cruise line excursion. A Canadian is better off to fly to Cuba instead of a cruise departing from the U.S. and be nominally treated as an America.   

Sure a land trip is better. I  was referring to the NON AMERICAN citizens who have booked cruises that are not  within the cancellation period. You know, they have already paid for flights to the USA, even if the cruise line allows them to cancel.  It is still money lost.  Sure they could go to Disney World instead but who  in their right mind wants to do that in the summer as high as the temps are there this time of year? 

As I said, as an example, we did ports in  Italy  from  Barcelona, Spain some years ago. If those 2 countries had suddenly become enemies and my ports got canceled I would have been upset 

Besides, your analogy about a land trip is better than a cruises holds true for almost anywhere for people in good health. You forget many of us pick a cruise for health reasons as  it is a more leisurely form of travel and easier for someone with major health issues.   I know we almost booked a land tour of Italy back in 2012 but I was afraid my health would not allow me to keep up the pace of that. We had done a week land tour of France back in 2009 "so we could see more" and I came home exhausted and sick. 

20 hours ago, momofmeg said:

Sure a land trip is better. I  was referring to the NON AMERICAN citizens who have booked cruises that are not  within the cancellation period. You know, they have already paid for flights to the USA, even if the cruise line allows them to cancel.  It is still money lost.  Sure they could go to Disney World instead but who  in their right mind wants to do that in the summer as high as the temps are there this time of year? 

A non-American who booked a cruise to Cuba departing from a U.S. port should have considered the risk given the long standing enmity between the two countries and the capricious nature of the President.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

A non-American who booked a cruise to Cuba departing from a U.S. port should have considered the risk given the long standing enmity between the two countries and the capricious nature of the President.  

Lol you got me there.  But I know in our case, as Americans,  we thought we were safe. Hubby said we  better go it this year because Trump was threatening to put back the Cuba ban. Oh well. I was not that hopped up on going, I thought they were overpriced especially when only old small ships would fit  their docks, and it seems to me one Caribbean port is not much different from another; but I am disappointed for him.