Cuban Cruises Now Over

CORKY_Q

Hmmm... a devious thought:

1 day cruise from US port to a "far" port.  People move to new ship for cruise to Cuba, ending in the "far" port.  Move to new ship for 1 day cruise from "far port" to US port.   A "bus" ship...

Like I said, just a devious thought.  Not that it would be cost-effective...

1 hour ago, Justmekaren918 said:

It says American Cruise ships well all of the Royal ships are not US Registered, so technically it shouldn't effect anything! 

If the ship cruises out of a US port and you're an American I'm sure the rules will apply to you.

1 hour ago, uday23 said:

With the recent news of an all out ban on cruise ships from cruise ships stopping in Cuba taking effect on Wednesday... Does anyone know how this will be handled by RCCL?  ie. Refunds? People currently on cruises? Where will the ships be reassigned to? Is there any exceptions to allow continuance? Any further insight would be helpful.

Whoa! There is no way to tell until it finally all comes out tomorrow. As for Royal, we won't know how they will handle things such as the new ports, etc until they say how they will. We can speculate and guess all we want, but until they say what they are doing then that's when we will all know. As for a refund I would think it would still be the same. If you cancel before final payment and didn't book non-refundable you will get a full refund. If you are after final payment or booked non-refundable then I would guess you will still be penalized as before.

Maybe a phone all to Royal will get you the info that you are looking for. I wouldn't call any time soon because they probably don't have a clue yet as to what they will be dong.

1 hour ago, The Grumpus said:

There is a substantial premium in cost associated with the Cuba sailings on Majesty that does not exist on non-Cuba sailings.  If indeed Cuba is removed from the itinerary, and RCI were to leave the price "as is", I will be cancelling as well.

What costs are you talking about? Insurance and visa? Is there something else I don't know about?

1 hour ago, hillslife said:

Just spoke to my TA.. he advised waiting to book ( I was trying to book today to get in the grandfathers phase) but he said according to the cruise passenger contact they can still not go to Cuba once you board and you have no recourse .   The contract says they can change ports at any time .. we have had that happen before... and they have had no official word from the cruuse lines  yet and all lines are still selling the cruises, very briskly today, as listed but don’t know if they will even go there😩🙄

Disappointing and frustrating 🤔😢

If the rules come out that the ships can't go to Cuba then they won't be able to go. They can have Cuba listed on their itineraries all they want, but the rules will be the rules.

I know that Royal has had a port listed on their itineraries before even when they knew they wouldn't be going there. That is something that they are choosing to do. It has nothing to do with any new rules.

Edited by ReneeFLL

8 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

What costs are you talking about? Insurance and visa? Is there something else I don't know about?

The price of a cabin on a Cuba sailing is much higher than a non-Cuba sailing for the same ship.  As least for Majesty of the Seas.

9 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

The price of a cabin on a Cuba sailing is much higher than a non-Cuba sailing for the same ship.  As least for Majesty of the Seas.

So true. Even with the interline price it's still high. We have been booked in a JS for a couple of months already. I just hope I get to go. I paid the balance today, but have about 35 days before final payment. I will be keeping a close eye on the rules so I will know if I will be canceling.  

3 hours ago, oneputt18 said:

It does say paid travel is grandfathered in, but if the cruise is not full, will the cruise line still sail? 

Have to wait till it all shakes out. 

I have not seen in any news article anywhere, where it says anything about "grandfathered in". It goes into affect tomorrow (June 5th).... period. No cruise company is going to send out a ship half-full anyways. The ships to Cuba for next year, or even months from now, are probably not fully booked anyways, and I doubt that the cruise lines are going to send ships somewhere that are partially filled.

Q

Does the June 4, 2019 statement regarding Cuba impact my ability to cruise to Cuba in the future?

A

Latest Update - June 4, 2019 at 1:45 pm EST

Royal Caribbean is closely monitoring the announced changes to U.S. policy regarding travel to Cuba. We will communicate additional updates to our guests and travel partners when additional information becomes available.

35 minutes ago, molly361 said:
Q

Does the June 4, 2019 statement regarding Cuba impact my ability to cruise to Cuba in the future?

A

Latest Update - June 4, 2019 at 1:45 pm EST

Royal Caribbean is closely monitoring the announced changes to U.S. policy regarding travel to Cuba. We will communicate additional updates to our guests and travel partners when additional information becomes available.

Are you American and wish to sail to Cuba from a U.S. port? 

If so,  as for now ,  forget about it !

image.png.bb9e28cacd552727df57d1d85ff252e7.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

4 hours ago, Big_G said:

Educated guess is they will alter the itinerary to fill the ship and it won't go over well.

Nearby, Haiti, Dom Republic and Jamaica  may not enthuse  enough 'potential '  Cuba  cruisers'  to make it a profitable sailing 

image.png.055f5d18a485f1ed2cd93436f954b76d.png 

sail.noordam@gmail.com

32 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Can we Please skip the politics?

This is not the place for political  discussions,

NOT my, rule !     It is  CC's   rule

image.png.443ee3ab4618b453c20be5a16139e64d.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Your comments are the most political on this discussion. They should be removed for berating people and being political.

• Thanks 2

"O.F.A.C.’s regulatory changes include a “grandfathering” provision, which provides that certain group people-to-people educational travel that previously was authorized will continue to be authorized where the traveler had already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to June 5, 2019."

Just now, boscobeans said:

"O.F.A.C.’s regulatory changes include a “grandfathering” provision, which provides that certain group people-to-people educational travel that previously was authorized will continue to be authorized where the traveler had already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to June 5, 2019."

Looks like if it was booked prior to June 5, 2019 it will is grandfathered.

5 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Looks like if it was booked prior to June 5, 2019 it will is grandfathered.

The question is how will that affect Royal who may have a sailing 6 or 9 months from now that is only 50% sold.  Basically they can sail with a ship half full and go to Cuba or change the itinerary and sail somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovelights said:

I have not seen in any news article anywhere, where it says anything about "grandfathered in". It goes into affect tomorrow (June 5th).... period. No cruise company is going to send out a ship half-full anyways. The ships to Cuba for next year, or even months from now, are probably not fully booked anyways, and I doubt that the cruise lines are going to send ships somewhere that are partially filled.

From the ABC News article I posted at the beginning of the thread

"For Americans who have already booked a flight or hotel or made another "travel-related transaction," they will be "grandfathered" in, according to the Treasury Department. "

1 minute ago, oneputt18 said:

From the ABC News article I posted at the beginning of the thread

"For Americans who have already booked a flight or hotel or made another "travel-related transaction," they will be "grandfathered" in, according to the Treasury Department. "

Well tell that to Royal Caribbean that just announced that their cruise for June 5th and June 6th, will no longer be going to Cuba.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovelights said:

Well tell that to Royal Caribbean that just announced that their cruise for June 5th and June 6th, will no longer be going to Cuba.

Yes, I just read that Royal has cancelled Cuba cruises for June 5 and 6. Wonder if more dates will be cancelled, or a new itinerary scheduled?

From a TA:

Cuba Travel Update - Just in from Royal Caribbean - The Majesty of the Seas sails tomorrow and was supposed to go to Havana. Will now go to Costa Maya. It would now appear that all Royal Caribbean sailings to Cuba have or are being rerouted from having any stops in Cuba..

Per Royal Caribbean - Passengers on the sailing tomorrow on the Majesty of the Seas are getting a refund in the value of 50% per stateroom of your cruise fare paid as a credit to your onboard account. And, if you have any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions for Havana, you'll also receive a refund in the form of a credit. You may use these credits anywhere onboard and if you don't use them, they'll be refunded back onto your credit card on file.

Will update as we get word from the other vendors.

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

So true. Even with the interline price it's still high. We have been booked in a JS for a couple of months already. I just hope I get to go. I paid the balance today, but have about 35 days before final payment. I will be keeping a close eye on the rules so I will know if I will be canceling.  

We're in a JS too and refundable.  FP isn't until September so not a bad idea to make full payment in case there is some kind of grandfathering and the ships still goes.  If we go we go great, if not we'll cross that 90 miles from KW when we get to it.

14 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Yes, I just read that Royal has cancelled Cuba cruises for June 5 and 6. Wonder if more dates will be cancelled, or a new itinerary scheduled?

The new rules seem to indicate that any U.S. cruise itinerary for the foreseeable future is prohibited, with no known end date stated.

Very fair compensation. Hopefully Royal will extend the same offer of 50% per stateroom of cruise fare paid as a credit to onboard accounts to all those booked on future cruises advertised as stopping in Cuba.They were priced at a premium fare and seems only fair that those traveling on these older ships should get a break on the fares where the main draw was Cuba.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Are there Cuban cruises that depart from non-U.S. ports?   Would it be possible for an American to take a cruise to Cuba that did not leave from or return to the U.S.A.?

It sounds as if they are reverting to the "old" rules. If that is the case, then yes there are ships that visit Cuba and depart from non US ports. They are not allowed to port in the US if they call on Cuba (or have called on Cuba within a certain look-back period of I forget how long...)

To be very correct, Americans were not technically prohibited from visiting Cuba previously but from spending any money there.

Many, many Americans visited Cuba during the previous period by departing from another country, either by plane (more common) or cruise ship.  

Also it sounds as if those operators with humanitarian or people-to-people licensed educational tours MAY still be permitted to go there....