It's official...all NCL cruises to Cuba are being changed

RupanIII

3 minutes ago, herdingdogmom said:

Correct.  But if you go on the cruise, you get 50% of what you paid for your suite back as an automatic refund.  4 days on a cruise goes by so fast.  You can always stay on the ship in Nassau (and Freeport) and take full advantage of that suite.  

You are right!  If my choices are lose $5k for cancelling or get paid $2500 to sail, then clearly we are sailing and enjoying the FAS offers. Thanks everyone for helping to bring this into sharp focus. It is not as bad as I thought. 

29 minutes ago, SpaceCoast1075 said:

My e-mail just arrived. It says that if I choose not to sail, then standard cancellation policies apply. The way I read this, I pay a 100% cancellation penalty for cancelling a suite within 55 days of sailing. This makes it sound like if I don't sail to the Bahamas, then I lose 100% of my cruise fare. Am I understanding the cancellation policy wrong?

Sounds like it. Overall, they make more money with people on the ship than sailing with empty staterooms. They count on people buying beverages, additional food, shopping, gambling, booking excursions, etc. They’d rather have warm bodies at 50% off than no people at all. They probably know they can’t fill those staterooms at this point if they let people cancel.

1 hour ago, Birdie And Sue said:

How is basically getting a FREE CRUISE paying more?  Seriously 50% refund + a 50% credit to a future cruise AND you still want more?  Ungrateful attitudes is why companies rarely give offers this good.  I guess if they gave you free cruises for life you would not be satisfied since it was not for youe childrens' lives as well...  😮

Wonder if anyone ask about the 50% future cruise credit.  Usually NCL, when they give you this, it is 50% of the cruise fare you paid for the cruise you are on, less taxes, port charges, etc.  On another cruise, they got a 25% future cruise credit and after taxes, port charges, etc. were deducted, some said it came out to around 17% of what they paid for the cruise.

5 minutes ago, Kingkonig said:

It’s not a “total refund” in the same way a cancelled cruise with a check in the mail would be, but a 50% refund, 50% cruise credit is them refunding 100% of the amount that you paid, whether you get it now or later.

Which might be (would be) considered shady business practices if you didn’t get to go on a cruise.  Is it to Havana?  No.  But it’s still (what was it, a 3, 4, or 7 day cruise?) a cruise.  There’s a reason there’s Terms and Conditions that protect the cruise line - and inform the customer - about port changes.

If it's the same as most cruises, it will be 50% off the base cruise fare not 50% off the total cruise price. If that's the case, people will have to pay the extra taxes & port fees for two cruises in order to take full advantage of the offer, even though they may not have planned to take another cruise prior to the cut-off date. They will also be giving NCL extra money for any gratuities added for perks, tips, any excursions booked through the cruise line & any other onboard expenses they may incur. The other cruise lines are giving guests a chance to cancel their cruise & be refunded all money they spent. They can then decide what they want to do with that money. NCL is guaranteeing they will be paid 50% of a Cuban cruise rate to go to the Bahamas, which won't come close to a 50% discount. They're also going to receive all added gratuities & onboard expenses on that cruise + 50% & added expenses on another cruise. They're guaranteeing they'll still make a substantial amount of money. The other cruise lines are cutting their losses & willing to not make any money on the customers that cancel. In this case 50% + 50% doesn't equal 100%. It's not even close.

PS: If they went against what is commonly done & truly deducted 50% off the entire cruise price, they would still be making money.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tarheelmjfan said:

If it's the same as most cruises, it will be 50% off the base cruise fare not 50% off the total cruise price. If that's the case, people will have to pay the extra taxes & port fees for two cruises in order to take full advantage of the offer, even though they may not have planned to take another cruise prior to the cut-off date. They will also be giving NCL extra money for any gratuities added for perks, tips, any excursions booked through the cruise line & any other onboard expenses they may incur. The other cruise lines are giving guests a chance to cancel their cruise & be refunded all money they spent. They can then decide what they want to do with that money. NCL is guaranteeing they will be paid 50% of a Cuban cruise rate to go to the Bahamas, which won't come close to a 50% discount. They're also going to receive all added gratuities & onboard expenses on that cruise + 50% & added expenses on another cruise. They're guaranteeing they'll still make a substantial amount of money. The other cruise lines are cutting their losses & willing to not make any money on the customers that cancel. In this case 50% + 50% doesn't equal 100%. It's not even close.

PS: If they went against what is commonly done & truly deducted 50% off the entire cruise price, they would still be making money.

Tips go to whomever you give them to, not to NCL.  The DSC also goes to the crew.  Excursions are 100% optional.  You get two cruises and pay for one, which is far more than what is required.  As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Wonder if anyone ask about the 50% future cruise credit.  Usually NCL, when they give you this, it is 50% of the cruise fare you paid for the cruise you are on, less taxes, port charges, etc.  On another cruise, they got a 25% future cruise credit and after taxes, port charges, etc. were deducted, some said it came out to around 17% of what they paid for the cruise.

No it was 25%.  You still went to ports and had to pay the fees and taxes for what you went to.  The difference was credited to the on board account.

The only reason I booked this cruise was to go to ,plus this was in the middle of a B2 B2 B , so the only resolution I will be happy with is 100 % refund , I don't need to go to Freeport and Nassau again.

How are they handling the Next Cruise deposit I used? Hopefully just putting it back into my NCL Next Cruise bank.

Message NCL sent me:

Cuba Travel Policy Update #2 - June 5, 2019 12:00 PM ET

As you may know, on June 4, 2019, the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and have begun to update itineraries for upcoming sailings. We will share the revised itineraries and additional details as soon as they are available. A detailed communication will be sent to you shortly.

We understand the disappointment and frustration this unexpected, last-minute change has caused. Like you, we were surprised by the sudden modification to policy. We thank you for your patience and support as we navigate this recent development.

wow this is amazing!  NCL is refunding $1029 of our cruise plus the $150 visa charge and we still get to go on whatever the new itinerary happens to be.  Then $1029 off our next cruise i'll take that deal any day.  Will probably buy a cruise next certificate once onboard as well if it can stack with the 50% off future cruise?  Considering it also has free drinks, free flights and 2 free specialty dining perks can't really be beat for a balcony.  I cant see very many people canceling or they wont get the 50% refund. Will be even better though if the ship isnt 100% full.  Barely made the cut sailing Sept 2nd on the Sun. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tarheelmjfan said:

The other cruise lines are giving guests a chance to cancel their cruise & be refunded all money they spent. They can then decide what they want to do with that money.

IMO, that is how this situation should be handled.  It's good customer relations and probably better for them long term financially.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I am not booked on this cruise (so no invested interest) - given these circumstance, I think NCL is wrong in not letting individuals get a full refund if they choose not to go. RCL and CCL stepped up and did the right thing.

Well, I am already flying to Florida for this cruise to where ever.  Me asking for a refund wont help,  is the airline refunding me? NO!  I have to take the flight.  I want a cruise not a refund, and  receiving the 50% off this one, is a welcomed!🙃

Edited by navy60wife

20 minutes ago, Moneybags123 said:

wow this is amazing!  NCL is refunding $1029 of our cruise plus the $150 visa charge and we still get to go on whatever the new itinerary happens to be.  Then $1029 off our next cruise i'll take that deal any day.  Will probably buy a cruise next certificate once onboard as well if it can stack with the 50% off future cruise?  Considering it also has free drinks, free flights and 2 free specialty dining perks can't really be beat for a balcony.  I cant see very many people canceling or they wont get the 50% refund. Will be even better though if the ship isnt 100% full.  Barely made the cut sailing Sept 2nd on the Sun. 

I am with you! not complaining!  enjoy!  and now I will cruise again in 2021 to celebrate my retirement.   

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Moneybags123 said:

It's amazing that you're getting a coupon? God bless NCL, they have trained their cheerleaders so well. "Yes, please sir, screw me over and do it again next time, here's my credit card." LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SuziCruises said:

From Norwegian:  NO REFUNDS IF YOU CANCEL ON JUNE - SEPTEMBER CRUISES

NOTE:  Norwegian is the ONLY cruise line to stick it to passengers who want to cancel.

Sailings through and including September 2, 2019

Those guests currently sailing on Norwegian Sun who departed on June 3 as well as all guests booked on Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun cruises to Cuba through and including the September 2, 2019 departure will receive a 50% refund of the cruise fare paid as well as a 50% future cruise credit valid for sailings through December 31, 2021. Refunds for June 2019 and July 2019 sailings will be processed by June 30, 2019 while refunds for August 2019 sailings will be processed by July 31, 2019.

Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. This process will be automatic and requires no action from you.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this unforeseen change. Standard cancellation policies apply for those guests who choose not to sail. Visa fees arranged through Norwegian Cruise Line will be refunded and government taxes and fees will be adjusted accordingly. Any shore excursions purchased through Norwegian Cruise Line for Cuba will be automatically refunded and posted to your onboard account for June 3 departure or refunded to original form of payment for other sailings. Future Cruise Credits will be attached to your Latitudes profile.

When was your sailing for?  date?

1 hour ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Tips go to whomever you give them to, not to NCL.  The DSC also goes to the crew.  Excursions are 100% optional.  You get two cruises and pay for one, which is far more than what is required.  As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

NCL also charges gratuities on their "free" perks. With this offer, you need to take two cruises you may not have chosen to take & pay gratuities on the "free" perks for another cruise to get the extra 50%. 

Is NCL giving 50% off of the total price of the cruise? If not that's not 50% off the cruise, if you're comparing it to a 100% refund. You'll need to pay those charges for two cruises you may not have chosen to take.

As far as no good deed goes unpunished, the good deed isn't very impressive, when it's self serving compared to other offers. Again, I can't believe anyone considers this offer comparable to the other cruise lines. This is simple math that should be obvious to everyone. So far, NCL is the only cruise line that's guaranteeing the results will come out in their favor.

Edited by tarheelmjfan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, tarheelmjfan said:

It's hard for me to imagine that anyone thinks 50% off of one cruise & 50% off on another cruise equals a total refund. We don't have a cruise booked, so this doesn't affect me at all. Regardless, it's easy to see that isn't the same as a cancellation, with a 100% refund.

Well for me is better than going to Nassau and getting nothing as a refund.  It's in the contract, ports are NOT guaranteed.  end of story.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, navy60wife said:

Well for me is better than going to Nassau and getting nothing as a refund.  It's in the contract, ports are NOT guaranteed.  end of story.  

I agree it's better than getting nothing, but it's not comparable to what those who booked on other lines received. The other lines aren't hiding behind their contract. As I mentioned earlier, this doesn't apply to me, but I think it's ridiculous that some people are equating a 50% + 50% discount to a 100% refund. They're not even close to equal.

Edited by tarheelmjfan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Most NCL enthusiasts aren’t exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.

Seriously? Because some of us who were planning To go to Cuba within the next couple weeks are trying to look at this in a positive light you’re going to result to name calling? I’m hardly an NCL  enthusiast, just trying to make the best of a family vaca that turned crappy. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tarheelmjfan said:

I agree it's better than getting nothing, but it's not comparable to what those who booked on other lines received. The other lines aren't hiding behind their contract. As I mentioned earlier, this doesn't apply to me, but I think it's ridiculous that some people are equating a 50% + 50% discount to a 100% refund. They're not even close to equal.

I completely agree. My friends would have preferred a full cancellation as they only wanted to see Cuba. They have no desire to see Nassau or any other substitution or sail with NCL again - this trip was booked with a purpose of seeing Cuba. They wished they had booked with another line as they did allow full compensation. For those who like the ship experience and NCL, you are probably happy with this compensation. Not everyone thinks the same.

• Like 1