Cape Town: UK News Profile, Ideas, Tips

TLCOhio

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Independent in the middle of last month, they had this headline: CAPE TOWN CITY GUIDE: WHERE TO EAT, DRINK, SHOP AND STAY”  with these story highlights: “Originally a replenishing point for ships en route between Europe and Asia, Cape Town is the city from which the nation of South Africa grew.  Most of its key attractions lie in the City Bowl and adjacent districts set scenically between the waterfront and Table Mountain. Summer (December to March) sees the city in full stride, but off-season (June to September) comes with the promise of watching whales and great white sharks.  Cape Town is also synonymous with the late, great Nelson Mandela, whose presidential inauguration took place here 25 years ago this month.”

The pictures and highlights from this media profile bring back nice memories.  More can be seen below on my live/blog from our visit there in early 2016.  Great city and area.   Here are a couple of their top insights: "Best view: Hit the V&A Waterfront to see Table Mountain looming above the city and docks.  Insider tip:  Head to colourful Bo-Kaap for koeksisters, daaltjies and other hard-to-pronounce street food."

Full story at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/48-hours-in/cape-town-things-to-do-south-africa-city-guide-best-hotels-restaurants-a8913716.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,725 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Here are two of the visuals used to illustrate this profile.  The second picture is from Boulders Beach that is home to hundreds of penguins and where we visited.  Fun sights there!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1159774078_ScreenShot2019-06-08at4_42_41PM.thumb.png.77948129ec745077f2d258ce725b4054.png

418195097_ScreenShot2019-06-08at4_43_01PM.thumb.png.e299d6833c356e55afd6643a252ccf39.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

South Africa is an amazing and varied country.   We did a safari from J'burg.  Then headed up to Victoria Falls and Zambia.  Flew back to Port Elizabeth, picked up a rental car, and spent ten days or so touring and driving down to Cape Town.  Wonderful hotels and B&B's.  

It was on the top of DW's bucket list.  No so for me.  But after doing this, it is back on my list, near the top.  Africa is amazing.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 6:31 PM, iancal said:

South Africa is an amazing and varied country.   We did a safari from J'burg.  Then headed up to Victoria Falls and Zambia.  Flew back to Port Elizabeth, picked up a rental car, and spent ten days or so touring and driving down to Cape Town.  Wonderful hotels and B&B's.  It was on the top of DW's bucket list.  No so for me.  But after doing this, it is back on my list, near the top.  Africa is amazing.

Appreciate this great background, comments and follow-up from iancal.  Yes, there is so much to see, do and enjoy in South Africa.  

From the Financial Times publication, they had this headline: “I wish I’d had more than one night in this Cape Town hotel” with these highlights about where the writer stayed in Cape Town: “a new boutique hotel in Cape Town where I was planning to spend my last night in the city. We finally worked out that the hotel entrance was positioned on a pedestrian-only stretch of St George’s Mall, a beautiful, tree-lined street in the city centre that was bustling with vendors selling everything from African bracelets to biltong.  Gorgeous George consists of two restored historic buildings – one Edwardian, one art deco, the latter offering soaring original brass doors (where help with the aforementioned cumbersome baggage was happily on hand) leading into an atmospheric, intimate lobby. I was instantly struck by the installation of 1,800 handpainted Delft-inspired tiles depicting a map of Cape Town.”

Full story at:

https://howtospendit.ft.com/travel/206542-i-wish-i-d-had-more-than-one-night-in-this-cape-town-hotel

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 47,178 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

• Like 1

This is why, since retiring, we take cruises to augment our land trips instead of a focus on pre or post cruise travel.   Often they serve as a break from independent travel.  We could not imagine going all that way and only spending a day or two in Cape Town or not venturing out to see more of the country.   We want to do it now while we have the health and the inclination to travel.

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 11:08 AM, iancal said:

This is why, since retiring, we take cruises to augment our land trips instead of a focus on pre or post cruise travel.   Often they serve as a break from independent travel.  We could not imagine going all that way and only spending a day or two in Cape Town or not venturing out to see more of the country.   We want to do it now while we have the health and the inclination to travel.

YES!!!  Very wise and insightful comments and observations from the highly-experienced iancal.  Agree as to how a cruise-only trip does not "do it" in many cases.  You need "MORE", especially in a country as varied and unique as South Africa.   

From the Orange County Register south of Los Angeles in this past week, they had this headline: “The many sides of Cape Town” on a very detailed profile with these highlights: “A New Year’s resolution I intended to keep was traveling to a new continent. Africa seemed daunting, but I gathered that South Africa — Cape Town in particular — was unlike the rest of the continent. As the plane descended on South Africa’s oldest city, my eyes gravitated toward a massive, distinctly flat-topped mountain in the distance. It was Table Mountain welcoming me to the Mother City..

Here is more: "Victoria & Alfred Waterfront was the prettiest working harbor I had ever seen. A pedestrian swing bridge, Ferris wheel, an abundance of restaurants and shops and the diversity of people had me feeling I could be anywhere in the world, but towering Table Mountain reminded me otherwise."

Many different options and potentials are outlined in this profile. Plus, a nice range of pictures to bring back wonderful memories from our visiting there. 

Full story at:

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/14/travel-the-many-sides-of-cape-town-south-africa/

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Below are just two of the 20+ pictures featured in the profile related to Cape Town and nearby.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)41063313_ScreenShot2019-06-23at12_35_38PM.thumb.png.e75302cc46a3c779e953d0ca7204d10f.png

1305285528_ScreenShot2019-06-23at12_35_07PM.thumb.png.2115256b2b332d267dd40295206cafc8.png

• Like 2

IF that penguin picture is taken where I think it is taken.....there are signs in the parking lot asking motorists to check under their cars for penguins before starting the engine or moving the car!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 1:11 PM, iancal said:

IF that penguin picture is taken where I think it is taken.....there are signs in the parking lot asking motorists to check under their cars for penguins before starting the engine or moving the car!

Appreciate this interesting follow-up about those super lovable penguins.  Loved seeing them live and in person at Boulder Beach south of Cape Town.   

From the Independent Online group of newspapers in South Africa,  they had this headline: “10 unique travel experiences you’ll only find in South Africa” with this story highlights: “South Africa is currently rated ninth among the biggest wine-producing countries in the world. With more than 560 wineries in the Cape, you couldn’t so much as throw a stone without hitting a wine farm in this award-winning region. With scenery as delicious as the wine, local and international visitors agree that this is one of South Africa’s most treasured attractions. The Constantia, Stellenbosch, Durbanville and Route 62 routes are the most popular. ”  

Full story at:

https://www.iol.co.za/travel/south-africa/10-unique-travel-experiences-youll-only-find-in-south-africa-27871193

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 247,658 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is one of the visuals for this profile that highlighted the wine options nearby to Cape Town.  Loved that part of South Africa.:

274597645_ScreenShot2019-06-30at4_21_50PM.thumb.png.356a564bd2395791afb88c008feaf435.png

4 hours ago, Omega1 said:

Fortunately, the article doesn’t refer to the most beautiful Cape wine area - Franschhoek. We need to keep this gem a secret!

YES, agree 100% that the Franschhoek area is totally wonderful!!   But, keeping it a SECRET???  Not sure that is possible!!  The "word" is out".  Sorry.  We visited both the La Motte winery and Grande Provence Estate in this Franschhoek region. .  Super enjoyed this area.  So scenic and dramatic!!   Plus, great and unique history.   Below are a few of my pictures as proof/evidence.  I had posted much on the different locations that we visited in 2016 on my live/blog that is connected below.  

From the London/UK Telegraph in 2015, they had this headline: “36 Hours in... Franschhoek” with these highlights: “About an hour’s drive from Cape Town - and less than half an hour from Stellenbosch, South Africa’s oldest settlement and centre of its wine production - lies the small town of Franschhoek, which has the unlikely distinction of being one of the world’s gastronomic capitals. There’s an unreality about this tiny place (population: 20,000), the white-washed, gabled Cape Dutch homesteads made immaculate by the clarity of light. However, despite the Dutch influence, it’s the French Huguenots we have to thank for this special heritage (Franschhoek means 'French Corner' in Dutch). Fleeing persecution under Louis XIV and invited to the Cape by Dutch Protestants, the Huguenots brought their knowledge of wine-making - and restaurants have sprung up to make the most of this fine resource.”

Am I in big trouble for sharing too much information and background?

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africa/south-africa/franschhoek/articles/36-hours-in-franschhoek/

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 46,136 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Here are some of my visuals from this super scenic area, including the Huguenot Monument to religious freedom, built in the 1940s.  Below also are a few others as examples for the character and sights possible in this wonderful region of South Africa.:

229458124_PetraBuffet1642.jpg.995b569ebd9d5485666086cda9af9123.jpg

1280970875_PetraBuffet1643.jpg.6feec820964d9c0fbd4cb007b9327326.jpg

844642242_PetraBuffet1644.jpg.325fc3b52320ac41b9649d0c4c7ec16d.jpg

1133653453_PetraBuffet1645.jpg.e7097139476a4472cd8239e3bf109093.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Terry - I was only teasing about keeping Franschhoek a secret! We know La Motte and Grande Provence very well. We had a wonderful lunch at Pierneef (La Motte) when we were last there in January and the new cheetah outreach centre at Grande Provence is excellent.

Sadly, we won’t be returning to Franschhoek until January 2021 as we have too many other things planned, but it would be be nice to combine our next visit with a trip to Namibia - something we have been meaning to do for quite a time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

Thanks Terry - I was only teasing about keeping Franschhoek a secret! We know La Motte and Grande Provence very well. We had a wonderful lunch at Pierneef (La Motte) when we were last there in January and the new cheetah outreach centre at Grande Provence is excellent.  Sadly, we won’t be returning to Franschhoek until January 2021 as we have too many other things planned, but it would be be nice to combine our next visit with a trip to Namibia - something we have been meaning to do for quite a time.

Great to know you were "ONLY TEASING" and that I not in big trouble for failing on "keeping Franschhoek a secret! ".  Nice to not be in a "dog house" for punishment.  

Yes, we would love to go back to South Africa.  Also, we would like to see and experience Namibia.  As I understand from a good friend, Namibia is not as full of animals as we found in Botswana, but has its unique aspects.  Yes, we are busy for future travel options.  In mid-July we will be, for our first time, seeing Jasper/Banff, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, then sailing up to Alaska, doing a post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  After that on our priority list is a first-time trip for exploring in early 2020 various South Pacific islands, including Fiji, Samoa, Bora Bora, etc.   Would commence this 18-day cruise in mid February from Auckland.  We plan to get there a week ahead in order to explore more of New Zealand's North Island and be escaping from the Midwest winter cold.

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 222,363 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2019 at 11:57 AM, Omega1 said:

Your travels sound wonderful.

YES!!  Great fun and enjoyment by traveling, especially while our body and brain is able to perform reasonably well with the demands of international journeys.  

Have been traveling.  Where?  First, during our recent travels, we encountered many different, wonderful people from BOTH Australia and New Zealand.  It's always fun with those from "down under".  

Just completed yesterday, for our first time, flying into Calgary, seeing Jasper/Banff National Parks, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, then sailing up to Alaska, doing a post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  As mention earlier, next on our priority list is a first-time trip for exploring in early 2020 various South Pacific islands, including Fiji, Samoa, Bora Bora, etc.   Would commence this 18-day cruise in mid February from Auckland.  We plan to get there a week ahead in order to explore more of New Zealand's North Island and be escaping from the Midwest winter cold.  In 2014, we did Wellington, Napier/Cape Kidnappers, Tauranga/Rotorua and Auckland/Waiheke Island, etc.  Will welcome all good suggestion for other exciting opportunities and fun locations in NZ's North Island.  More good photo opportunities??

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details!!  That live/blog is at: 

www.boards.cruisecdritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Or, you could simply do a quick Google search with these terms: 

“Live Terry/Ohio Muse Alaska”

36 minutes ago,  BarbinMich said: 

Terry, there's a typo in the link you posted:  a "d" in the midst of cruisecritic in the link.  I'm just now catching up with your travels.

Appreciate Barb's catching of this "goof".  Have corrected and will update the other posts with this better link.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

CORRECT LINK

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

On 8/7/2019 at 9:07 PM, Trend said:

Do the Waitoma caves with the glow worms out of Auckland.

Appreciate this above excellent tip and follow-up about our options for early 2020 when we will be visiting New Zealand's North Island.  

From the New York Times today, they had this headline: “As Gang Murders Surge, South Africa Sends Army to Cape Town” with these highlights: “It was like a scene from the apartheid days: a military unit with armored trucks and assault rifles patrolling the streets of a South African township.  But as soldiers arrived in Mitchells Plain, an impoverished suburb outside Cape Town, people did not hide inside or erupt in protest.  Instead, residents rushed from their homes to welcome the troops, who were sent in last month to quell an extraordinarily bloody spate of gang violence and have remained in the area ever since.  Cape Town, widely known as a tourist destination for its historical sites and natural beauty, has become one of the world’s most dangerous cities. The police recorded more than 2,800 murders in 2018, and its homicide rate — about 66 killings per 100,000 people — is surpassed by only the most violent cities in Latin America.  Trying to stanch the bloodshed, President Cyril Ramaphosa ordered the military intervention on July 12.”

Not good news for either Cape Town or South Africa.  Don't know how much is a problem in the townships versus in the main tourist areas of Cape Town. Sad!

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/world/africa/cape-town-crime-military.html

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 84,801 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• 2 weeks later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Evening Standard last weekend, they had this headline: “A guide to South Africa’s enchanting Franschhoek region with this sub-head: "This quaint centuries-old wine region is a must-visit during any trip to Cape Town."

Here are some the story highlights: “Just one hour’s drive from Cape Town is the incredibly scenic Franschhoek wine valley. Hidden amongst the Groot Drakenstein Mountains, it's arguably the most beautiful and captivating town of the Cape Winelands. We were lucky to spend a few days in this quaint French-inspired town during the autumn, and with the weather still warm from the recent summer, it was a delightful leafy wonderland.  The area was first settled by French Hugenots over 300 years ago, who brought with them vines and started planting wine farms across the region. Translating to 'French corner', Franschhoek still has a very definitive French feel.”

YES, the secret is out and we loved exploring this part of the Cape Town Winelands areas.  Many options for places to stay and dine are offered in this profile that has many visuals, etc.  

Full story at:

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/guide-to-south-africa-s-franschhoek-region-a4209871.html

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 64,381 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• 2 weeks later...

A very interesting thread - thanks to all who have posted information + pics.

We are thinking of booking a cruise from Cape Town to The Seychelles, which also calls at Port Elizabeth and Durban on the way.  We will be looking at a week or two pre cruise in South Africa, but do not want to do an intensive itinerary or to drive ourselves, so any thoughts would be most welcome.

Is it the sort of place one would travel with a car and driver, or would we be better using a train of flying, if neccesary?  We tend to spend twice as long in any one location than tends to be recommended and take some time out to just relax and/or take leisurely outings (by foot if possible) and find that a good way to travel.  We may yet return another time, so do not need to see/do everything on the one visit and we would not be too interested in the wine country as we have done a lot of that sort of thing in France.

Edited by tring

I would not suggest train travel in South Africa unless you want to use one of the luxury companies:

www.bluetrain.co.za

www.rovos.com

Are you interested in doing a safari?

Would suggest African Sky Safaris and Tours if you don't want to drive yourself. They are well reviewed on Trip Advisor.

I can make further suggestions based on your interests. For example, if you enjoy hiking, a trip to the Drakensberg should not be missed. There are fantastic golf courses and golf holidays in South Africa if you enjoy that. 

The Garden route is an excellent suggestion if you enjoy spectacular coastal scenery, lovely markets, excellent food and a more quiet, relaxing holiday.

Which month are you planning to cruise?

2 hours ago, Mercury said:

I would not suggest train travel in South Africa unless you want to use one of the luxury companies:

www.bluetrain.co.za

www.rovos.com

Are you interested in doing a safari?

Would suggest African Sky Safaris and Tours if you don't want to drive yourself. They are well reviewed on Trip Advisor.

I can make further suggestions based on your interests. For example, if you enjoy hiking, a trip to the Drakensberg should not be missed. There are fantastic golf courses and golf holidays in South Africa if you enjoy that. 

The Garden route is an excellent suggestion if you enjoy spectacular coastal scenery, lovely markets, excellent food and a more quiet, relaxing holiday.

Which month are you planning to cruise?

Thank you for the reply.  We are looking at a December cruise, so would be in S Africa late Nov/early Dec 2020.

Not as active as we used to be (will be 70 by then) so would be more interested in strolls rather than 'long and active' style walks.  We are not golfers either but a safari - maybe and will look up the company you mention.  A garden route sounds interesting as I am a keen gardener and scenic is always good, so will look that up as well.

Is it possible to travel with a car/driver or would things like that be very expensive in S Africa?  We have done that in Sri Lanka  for a 6 nights tour (and doing similar next January).  It worked very well there as the better hotels have driver accommodation.  Not a cheap way to travel in Sri Lanka, but very effective as they have driver/guides so a bit like 2 for 1, if you see what I mean.

We will have at least 4 nights in Cape Town so we can do it justice in a relaxed fashion, but if other places can easily be reached in day trips, we may stay there longer, so will not have a lot of extra time to go elsewhere.

Edited by tring

As you are planning to come in Summer, I would suggest an area like the Pilansberg for a safari as it is not as hot as Sabie/Kruger and also not a malaria area. You can contact the Game Lodges there and see whether they can arrange a transfer for you before you book with them. Try Ivory Tree Game Lodge or Shepherd's Tree.

Another favourite non malaria area is the Waterberg. You could try Hanglip Mountain Lodge or Widside Camp.

After a safari, I would suggest flying to George airport (in the Garden Route). The Garden Route is so named because it is regarded as the Eden of South Africa. It has rolling mountain ranges, forests and valleys and a beautiful coastline. Lots of lovely  towns to visit on the route including Plett, Knysna, Sedgefield, Wilderness, George (more of a city centre), Glentana, Mossel Bay (also a bigger town centre) and on to Cape Town. You could easily spend a week along this route.

It may be a good option for you to look into your accommodation needs on a website like 

www.portfoliocollection.com or www.travelground.com

You could then plan your own movements and make use of a company that offers a transfer service. Try:

https://www.shuttletravelandevents.co.za

13 hours ago, tring said:

Is it possible to travel with a car/driver or would things like that be very expensive in S Africa?  We have done that in Sri Lanka  for a 6 nights tour (and doing similar next January).  It worked very well there as the better hotels have driver accommodation.  Not a cheap way to travel in Sri Lanka, but very effective as they have driver/guides so a bit like 2 for 1, if you see what I mean.

There isn't dedicated driver accommodation at hotels in South Africa, but you could book the driver his/her own room if you prefer the driver being available as and when you need them.

I think it would be better to plan your own route and make use of a shuttle service (as mentioned above) for longer transfers. For shorter distances, you could try Taxify who are apparently now operating in the Garden Route.

17 minutes ago, Mercury said:

As you are planning to come in Summer, I would suggest an area like the Pilansberg for a safari as it is not as hot as Sabie/Kruger and also not a malaria area. You can contact the Game Lodges there and see whether they can arrange a transfer for you before you book with them. Try Ivory Tree Game Lodge or Shepherd's Tree.

Another favourite non malaria area is the Waterberg. You could try Hanglip Mountain Lodge or Widside Camp.

After a safari, I would suggest flying to George airport (in the Garden Route). The Garden Route is so named because it is regarded as the Eden of South Africa. It has rolling mountain ranges, forests and valleys and a beautiful coastline. Lots of lovely  towns to visit on the route including Plett, Knysna, Sedgefield, Wilderness, George (more of a city centre), Glentana, Mossel Bay (also a bigger town centre) and on to Cape Town. You could easily spend a week along this route.

It may be a good option for you to look into your accommodation needs on a website like 

www.portfoliocollection.com or www.travelground.com

You could then plan your own movements and make use of a company that offers a transfer service. Try:

https://www.shuttletravelandevents.co.za

11 minutes ago, Mercury said:

There isn't dedicated driver accommodation at hotels in South Africa, but you could book the driver his/her own room if you prefer the driver being available as and when you need them.

I think it would be better to plan your own route and make use of a shuttle service (as mentioned above) for longer transfers. For shorter distances, you could try Taxify who are apparently now operating in the Garden Route.

Thank you very much for that very detailed information.  The Garden route sounds very good, especially if we can end up in Cape Town easily since we do not want to do an excessive amount of travelling.  We may skip the idea of a safari on this occasion as we will be away for a long time all told when we include the 2 week cruise and a post cruise stay,

Barbara