Cape Town: UK News Profile, Ideas, Tips

TLCOhio

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Times last month, they had this headline: “Best winter sun holidays” with these highlights for "best getaways".

Cape Town was spotlighted as a top potential location with these story details: “Some of Africa’s most innovative artists, bars and restaurants come together in Cape Town, beneath the hulking frame of Table Mountain in an area carpeted with greenery on the glittering Atlantic coast. Outdoor activities include hiking, biking and paragliding on to Clifton’s beaches. Stay in a plush apartment at the Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, within a mile of the V&A Waterfront."

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/best-winter-sun-holidays-destinations-2019-2020-rhc6fqcjk

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 65,302 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• 2 weeks later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph today, they had this headline: “The 20 destinations you must visit in 2020” as their experts reveal the must-see places to put on your travel radar with these highlights for South Africa as a top potential with this summary "The indisputable champion of the sub-Saharan safari" from writer Simon Parker"." 

Here are some details cited: Still basking in the glow of its 2019 Rugby World Cup triumph, Africa’s southernmost superpower will in 2020 reaffirm itself as the indisputable champion of the sub-Saharan safari.  Telegraph readers adore Cape Town – voting it their favourite city on the planet for the seventh year running in our 2019 Travel Awards. But the most exciting new food scene is being rustled up 70 miles east in the whale-watching hub of Hermanus. It’s been crowned South Africa’s first Unesco City of Gastronomy, due to its proximity to some of the very best wine and seafood on earth. From playing field to plate, Atlantic to Indian Ocean, coming first remains a national obsession.

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/20-destinations-for-2020/

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 227,493 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Terry...  Totally agree Cape Town is on the must visit list. So glad we made it in 2019!  We just had the most wonderful six day five night visit to Cape Town in mid November after our fabulous Safaris at three beautiful camps.   We loved our visit to South Africa and Botswana with a side trip to Victoria Falls. 

The weather was clear and beautiful the entire time we were there. We had a beautiful view of Table Mountain every day from our hotel room at the beautiful Queen Victoria Hotel which was a short walk from the V&A Waterfront.   We were able to finally take the tram up to Table Mtn on the last day we were there. Two days we had full day small van tours planned and two days the winds were too high and the tram was not running but on our last day everything came together and the winds calmed down and we finally were able to ride  the tram.   Absolute fabulous views. We experienced the most amazing hospitality and wonderful people in Cape Town.  It was difficult to have to say goodbye.   We definitely will be back. 

Terry we followed your blog on Botswana and South Africa several years ago when you did your Botswana Safari and cruise.   It was part of what got us even more interested and the initial stages of planning started.  Our trip was nearly two years in planning!!  Thank you for all the amazing photos and details you have provided on your cruises over the years. 

Sincerely

Mary and Richard. 

Love to know what you experienced as we are headed there soon.

We are being told no earrings even small ones with little little diamonds, no wedding band, even concerned about my husbands med alert bracelet as it is in gold.

what are your thoughts.

We are staying at the Westin Conference Centre for 4 days and have a private tour booked for one day.

Well I wore my diamond wedding ring w/o any problems in Cape Town. I sometimes turned it so the diamond was not so obvious. I wore simple inexpensive silver or gold small hoop earrings.  No diamond earrings.  My husband wore his gold wedding band. We dressed simply but nice. Nothing flashy or that would make us stand out.  

Our private excursions were small group (8) van excursions. One was a Cape Peninsula Tour with visit to the penguin colony. It also included cruise out to seal rock. It was an all day tour.  Our other excursion was once again a small group van tour (8) up to Stellenbosch wine area. 

We stayed very close as in just across the street and a short walk up the hill from the V&A Waterfront.   We made several visits over to just walk around and eat lunch or dinner and some shopping.  We walked mostly during daylight as there are lots of people out.  There is a Security presence.  We even walked back up the hill after dark as our dinner ran late one night without any issues. We never felt threatened. It’s a very beautiful And scenic waterfront. Lots of entertaining local music groups/dancers.  We also went out catamaran cruising twice as we love being out on the water. 
It is very easy to catch the ferry over to Robben Island at the Waterfront. You do however need to have pre booked tickets.  

As I previously mentioned we were able to take the aerial tram up to the top of Table Mtn. Fantastic views. Have your hotel check to see if they are running the tram. It does not run if winds are too high.  The one day we had free to do it our hotel concierges checked when we went to breakfast and it was not running. On our way back from breakfast they had already checked for us. We had them book online tickets for us and we grabbed a taxi and left. 

We really wanted to have dinner at the Restaurant called Gold but we’re unable to get reservations for the day we wanted them. 

We dearly hope to get back again in a few years as we would love to go on another Safari and definitely visit Cape Town. 

Have a wonderful time. 

Thanks so much for this advise I wear small earrings with tiny diamonds as I am a tiny lady, a small gold wedding band and that is it. My husband has a gold medical alert bracelet that in Buenos Aries a cab driver told him to take off so I put it in my purse, not sure if he should go buy a tin one from drugstore. We have travel all over the world but you never know what can happen even in your home town.

On 1/12/2020 at 10:03 AM, Trend said:

Thanks so much for this advise I wear small earrings with tiny diamonds as I am a tiny lady, a small gold wedding band and that is it. My husband has a gold medical alert bracelet that in Buenos Aries a cab driver told him to take off so I put it in my purse, not sure if he should go buy a tin one from drugstore. We have travel all over the world but you never know what can happen even in your home town.

Totally agree with you. We are just cautious and try to dress in a way that we do not stand out. 

We did our own tour of South Africa.  A safari was at the top of DW's bucket list so we decided to do it.

First off, we got a little frustrated with some of our local travel agencies that promoted African travel.  We did some searching on the web and then contacted a local South African company direct.  There were numerous recommendations on various sites.  After that, it was a dream.  Skype and email.   We selected their Kruger safari, they arranged for Chobe and Victoria Falls.  We arranged air travel to and from Victoria Falls, back to Port Eliz. and then the rental car for touring from P. Eliz. to Cape Town.   Everything was very easy to arrange on our own.   We were four days in Cape Town.  We flew into J'burg and back from Cape Town from Europe.

Since that trip Africa is not close to the top of my bucket list.  It could well be a good winter snowbird destination for us.

On 1/16/2020 at 10:27 AM, iancal said:

It could well be a good winter snowbird destination for us.

Appreciate ALL of these great comments and follow-ups. Very helpful and beneficial sharing.  Keep it coming!!  Don't be shy with any questions, suggestions, etc.  

We will be heading "down under" near to Australia in just three week. Doing "winter snowbird locations" can be wonderful.  Our destination will be for doing New Zealand's North Island more in-depth after our first visit there in 2014.  Plus, then we will be an exploring of many exotic South Pacific islands on the Oceania Regatta.  See the graphic below. Will do a live/blog on the Oceania CC Board for this upcoming trip.  Any tips, suggestions and secrets for exploring in these areas?  Below is a link to our late summer 2019 adventure in western Canada, Alaska, etc. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Recently completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details from our first visits to these scenic areas!!  That live/blog is at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Or, you could simply do a quick Google search with these terms: 

Live Terry/Ohio Muse Alaska

Below is a graphic for our trip coming up soon in February 2020.  Need to escape the Midwest winter cold!!  Sunshine can be fun and refreshing??!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1389818649_S.Pacific2020GraphicMap.thumb.png.f1da88a1d00cdcd940e4deb171156a95.png

Edited by TLCOhio

We too are finally retired and love getting away in the winter.  Hawaii for us has usually been our go to destination.  We have also done a number of Caribbean Cruises in Jan and Feb. It’s not cold and snowy where we live but instead gray and rainy. 

We absolutely loved Africa and had a fantastic Safari Company plan and book everything. Between all our flights  on both cessnas, and commercial as well as ground transport and our many drivers our trip was absolutely flawless. We were never left anywhere wondering who was picking us up.   We had drivers picking us up from small airports and driving us to the borders where another driver picked us up.  We could never have arranged that ourselves.  For us their services were invaluable and made it a no stress wonderful vacation.  We will most definitely use this Safari Company again.  So fortunate to discover them.  They were invaluable in our planning process. Ours was a custom but not a private Safari.  We are definitely planning to again visit Africa in a few years.  But in the meantime Cruising is on our immediate agenda. 

Terry we will be excited to follow you on your next cruise blog.   We have cruised from Honolulu to Aukland and departing in Sydney just a little over a year ago. Visiting Polynesia was wonderful.  Be prepared as it can be hot and humid.  We also have another Polynesia and New Zealand Cruise on the books but not until next year. 

Edited by mauimary

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2020 at 12:50 AM, mauimary said:

Terry we will be excited to follow you on your next cruise blog.   We have cruised from Honolulu to Aukland and departing in Sydney just a little over a year ago. Visiting Polynesia was wonderful.  Be prepared as it can be hot and humid.  We also have another Polynesia and New Zealand Cruise on the books but not until next year. 

Yes, we super enjoyed French Polynesia and the many other stops in the South Pacific, roaming around New Zealand in early 2020.  Agree that it can get "hot and humid" there.   We got home on March 7, 2020, just before everything started to shut down and become closed up.  Here's a link for more info, visuals and details from that live/blog:

Live, Terry/Ohio, “New” Regatta: South Pacific/NZ, Pix’s

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

From the New York Times Travel Section this past week, they had their annual "52 Top Places to Visit" during the upcoming year.  Here was their headline: “52 Places for a Changed World" with this sub-headline: "The 2022 list highlights places around the globe where travelers can be part of the solution.”

Here are some of their NYT reporting highlights that focus for in and around South Africa:After nearly two years of restricted travel and the recent detection of the Omicron coronavirus variant, South Africa’s many outstanding wildlife reserves and conservation projects are badly in need of support. Lockdowns caused a 96 percent drop in visits to South Africa’s national parks, jeopardizing the efforts of places like iSimangaliso Wetland Park, an 800,000-acre UNESCO World Heritage site on the country’s eastern coast. Home to elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos and whales, iSimangaliso also supports more than 12,000 jobs and an environmental education program involving 150 schools. Visitors can keep it classic and track the “Big Five” — elephants, rhinos, buffalo, lions and leopards — on safari at some of the country’s approximately 500 private game reserves, like Kariega and Manyeleti. Or they can go a step further and volunteer to monitor biodiversity with the Endangered Wildlife Trust at Medike Nature Reserve in the Soutpansberg Mountains, or help save the dazzling aquatic life and octopus teachers that inhabit the Great African Seaforest, the planet’s only forest of giant bamboo kelp.

We super loved and were thrilled by what we did in and around iSimangaliso Wetland Park.  Amazing area!!  As noted by the NY Times, Cape Town and South Africa has been significantly impacted by these recent Covid challenges.  

Here is the NY Times visual used to illustrate this segment of their reporting: 

920574062_ScreenShot2022-01-14at12_28_32PM.thumb.png.306c8bff16c44ca1d10ec91827064943.png

Anyone been to Cape Town and South Africa recently?  Experiences to share?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/travel/52-places-travel-2022.html

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 52,126 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

After touring for ten days we kept our car in Cape Town for another four days.  Used it go tour around, have a wonderful day at a beach outside town, etc.

I absolutely cannot imagine needing a driver if you are going from Port Eliz. down through the Garden Route. 

We were traveling on a seven months post retirement trip after selling our home.  South Africa and the safari were the highlights of our trip.   At some point we plan to do winter snow bird trip to Africa.

We were fortunate to meet up with a young German grad student in Cape Town.  We  invited him out when we toured around Cape Town.  He was involved in some cutting edge remote health technology trials via cell phone and related the advances and the successes the trials were having at that time.

Edited by iancal

• 8 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 8:54 PM, iancal said:

After touring for ten days we kept our car in Cape Town for another four days.  Used it go tour around, have a wonderful day at a beach outside town, etc.  I absolutely cannot imagine needing a driver if you are going from Port Eliz. down through the Garden Route.  We were traveling on a seven months post retirement trip after selling our home.  South Africa and the safari were the highlights of our trip.   At some point we plan to do winter snow bird trip to Africa.  We were fortunate to meet up with a young German grad student in Cape Town.  We  invited him out when we toured around Cape Town.  He was involved in some cutting edge remote health technology trials via cell phone and related the advances and the successes the trials were having at that time.

Appreciate this great follow-up from iancal.  Any more recent travel updates and insights?

From the London/UK Telegraph last summer, they had this headline: How to spend a weekend in Cape Town" with this sub-headline: "An insider guide to the South African city that excels in natural splendour.

Here are some of their reporting highlights:You really can’t overstate the case for visiting Cape Town. First, there’s the in-your-face beauty of a craggy mountain range that drops precipitously into a glittering sea, its flanks carpeted in greens and delicate florals. Then there’s the pristine white beaches lapped by a chilly Atlantic, their curves defined by giant granite boulders to bake on. And no visit is complete without at least one full day exploring some of the surrounding vine-carpeted valleys, their rich terroir spawning not only award-winning wines but superb produce.  Yet Cape Town has a cool urban edge, too: excellent art galleries, hip bars, world-rated restaurants, and design-savvy shops.

As another example for the many tips in the profile, here is a tip for a location that I visited and enjoyed: "If you want to squeeze in a visit to Robben Island where Nelson Mandela spent 18 of the 27 years he was imprisoned, descend no later than 10am to be at Nelson Mandela Gateway, the ferry departure point."  

Plus another great location we visited: "There are more plant species on Table Mountain than the entire British Isles, and the best introduction to this rich floral kingdom is a visit to Kirstenbosch. With terraced lawns that blend seamlessly into the steep indigenous forests that pelt the eastern slopes of Table Mountain, it’s a spectacular botanical garden."

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africa/south-africa/cape-town/articles/cape-town-travel-guide/

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 245,896 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I will be on a cruise in February and was wondering if you could give me feedback on Aquila and Addo Elephant park.  I am taking tour to Hluhluwe but was considering maybe also visiting these places as well as Tala Reserve. Any information would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, chatuga said:

I will be on a cruise in February and was wondering if you could give me feedback on Aquila and Addo Elephant park.  I am taking tour to Hluhluwe but was considering maybe also visiting these places as well as Tala Reserve. Any information would be appreciated.

Have not been to either Aquila or Tala.  Not familiar with them.  Yes, have been to Addo Elephant Park and loved it.  Had two days and stayed overnight at Hluhluwe.  That timing made all of the difference!!  Safari experiences depend so much on the quality/skill of your guide, size of your group (smaller better and more personal), net amount of time spent there (versus the transit times getting there and back), weather luck, etc.  

Below are just a few visual samples from Addo.  Tell me more about your net amounts of time availablefor Addo and Hluhluwe, etc.  Happy to share more as is beneficial to you.    

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 241,143 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

From Addo, does this give a sampling give more backgroundfor what we saw and experienced at this park?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.1a3f7ae41e7176ff4b1f0f1cb546893f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.780e4767678139c6fb2904aed1bf5ff5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fe5439e3503bc50fb7657bded1085872.jpeg

Given its name, yes, Addo has elephants.  Super love the baby elephants!!:

image.thumb.jpeg.5ed473d32e1947e51a690775455ad901.jpeg

Seeing the animal faces and eyes really connects to enhance the experience.:

image.thumb.jpeg.cfd5574d5034d32a4a9295d6daee7c4c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bece0a54c9e89649251117f5cfbac789.jpeg

I am in Port Elizabeth from 7-7 and thinking about booking with Alan Tours.

Am in Richards Bay from 7-7 and am booking a tour for Hluhluwe

Tala Game reserve is an option for Durban . Will be there 8-6. Do you have another suggestion?

Lots to do in Cape Town so thought I would do hop on hop off bus which l can take from the port. May skip Aquila in favor of other suggestions. Have almost 3 days to explore.

Ship also stops in Maputo and East London and was considering a walking tour in Maputo and city tour in East London. Any suggestions on those 2 cities?

I am also going to cruise up west coast of Africa to Walvis Bay,Luanda, Takoradi, Abidjan, and Banjul but have been receiving conflicting information regarding visa, time in port,etc. Have you visited any of these cities? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Rhoda

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 10:14 AM, chatuga said:

Ship also stops in Maputo and East London and was considering a walking tour in Maputo and city tour in East London. Any suggestions on those 2 cities?

I am also going to cruise up west coast of Africa to Walvis Bay,Luanda, Takoradi, Abidjan, and Banjul but have been receiving conflicting information regarding visa, time in port,etc. Have you visited any of these cities? Any feedback would be appreciated.   Rhoda

Sorry, Rhoda, we have not traveled up the west coast areas from Cape Town.  For Maputo, I would suggest a ship's tour to sample the highlights there versus just "walking around".  That will help give you a better "overview" of the various sights, markets, etc., in that town that has some "challenging" areas where you want to be efficient and safer as to where you are going, etc.  We did a ship's tour and it worked well for getting the quick "sampling".  On my live/blog connected below, there a number of pictures for what all we saw and did in Maputo.

For East London, we were fortunate to have a private tour connection that involved visiting a local school there, having students perform for us, learning more about South African sports, interests, etc.  Sorry, cannot line that up for you.  Keep researching and considering your many options.   

From the London/UK Times this past week, they had this headline: Cape Town is back — and better value than ever" with this sub-headline: "Our favourite South African city is having quite the moment.

Here are some of their profile highlights: “The Waterfront has also bolstered its arts and crafts profile — its Watershed warehouse is now lined with stalls selling covetable ceramics, fashions and jewellery from local artisans. Typical among them are Africa Nova, which has colourful textiles from £50, and Ilundi, where exquisite handcrafted leather bags start at £60 (waterfront.co.za).”

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cape-town-is-back-and-better-value-than-ever-nfcbj3xvf

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,588 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

Terry,

Thanks for your feedback. I love the fact that you got to visit a school,etc. We are retired educators and in China we got to do that years ago.

I have booked 3 tours in west Africa through fellow cruise critic members.  Am considering renting a bike in Durban to ride along the Golden mile but will wait to see weather and other factors. I am not going to book anything in advance for East London or Maputo.

Rhoda

20 hours ago, chatuga said:

Terry, Thanks for your feedback. I love the fact that you got to visit a school,etc. We are retired educators and in China we got to do that years ago.

I have booked 3 tours in west Africa through fellow cruise critic members.  Am considering renting a bike in Durban to ride along the Golden mile but will wait to see weather and other factors. I am not going to book anything in advance for East London or Maputo.  Rhoda

Appreciate, Rhoda, your follow-up.  Glad to know of your education background and that you are doing this important research and planning.  It will pay off as you do this great "adventure".  

Below are a few visuals from our school visiting.  This worked so well to better connect with local students there and learn more about life in these parts of South Afric.  Keep it coming with any and all questions.  

When you get on the ship, ask the excursion staff about arranging any possible special private tours at certain ports.   Such tour might cost more, but these options could give you access to do varied and different sights and sites.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 100,745 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

In the Zulu area of eastern South Africa, here are some visual samples from visiting during our private tour a school, bringing gifts for the kids, having them perform a song for us, etc.  Very interesting!!:

image.thumb.jpeg.e62308da88730082c166ceec6935972e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.80e437fb91360d5ef876c27064ecffa9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2e0608ef2a91bff950a324212836ea6d.jpeg

At East London, we visited this private school where we enjoyed a musical performance, saw athletic/sports training, talked with the kids, etc.:

image.thumb.jpeg.ee1a02d9bcff76243bed7e6f6a0f5e9b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f71f727216685c57ac1b8f2a9e76f7a2.jpeg

Having just returned from a few days in Cape Town, I can heartily recommend EA Travel Tours and Transport Services. Eshaam Abrahams operates a clean, comfortable car. He has completed tour and guide training. We used his services two consecutive days: once to Table Mountain and the next day to Cape of Good Hope and Simon's Town. He was happy to drop us off at the cruise terminal to embark the Norwegian Jade.

As you might guess, Eshaam suffered from the lack of travel during COVID restrictions. It's my pleasure to endorse his services.

eatraveltourstransport@gmail.com

eatraveltoursandtransportservices.co.za

AS

21 hours ago, Arizona Sunshine said:

Having just returned from a few days in Cape Town, I can heartily recommend EA Travel Tours and Transport Services. Eshaam Abrahams operates a clean, comfortable car. He has completed tour and guide training. We used his services two consecutive days: once to Table Mountain and the next day to Cape of Good Hope and Simon's Town. He was happy to drop us off at the cruise terminal to embark the Norwegian Jade.   As you might guess, Eshaam suffered from the lack of travel during COVID restrictions. It's my pleasure to endorse his services.

eatraveltourstransport@gmail.com

eatraveltoursandtransportservices.co.za

Appreciate this follow-up from our Canada/Arizona travel friend.  Yes, excellent private guides can make a very positive difference.  Fortunately when we visited in and around Cape Town and South Africa, the exchange rate was good and we were able to afford different private guides whose expertise fit perfectly for our needs in each different location.  

My tip on private guides?  Look at sites such as TripAdvisor, identify four or five potential guides or tour services, write them individually with specific questions as to your personal needs and interests.    See who responds and actually reads and pay attention to what you are asking.   Narrow down to those who are reasonable in pricing/value, paying close attention to your needs, etc.  I would ignore those who just give you back their bland "formula" offerings that don't or won't customize to your personal style and interest.  If you going to do a "private tour", making it work for you, not just the guide's easiest routines.  Our personal guides made things super great in South Africa.  

On such private tours, we love having real "conversations" with our guides to learn more and explore these scenic and fascinating areas. 

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 71,033 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

• 3 months later...

From the Miami Herald in the past week, they had this headline: American visitors are South Africa’s fastest growing tourism market with these highlights:South Africa is becoming a hot spot for American tourism, and experts say it’s increasing. In 2022, the U.S. delivered 262,183 arrivals into South Africa (220 percent over 2021) and 70 percent of the 2019 pre-pandemic levels, placing them just behind the UK. There has been a 45 percent increase in airline capacity from the U.S. since 2019. Holiday travelers are booking 4 to 11 months in advance. Western Cape is the most popular destination for American travelers.  Delta Air Lines and United Airlines have flights directly into the country from American hubs. The access has given American travelers the opportunity to explore the world.

Have good friends now touring in South Africa.  Below is a picture they sent me yesterday reflecting the wonderful, scenic mountains in SA's Wine Country near Cape Town.  Look good?

image.thumb.jpeg.bc07360a9605e70c264a40c4d5cb55c8.jpeg

Full story at:

https://www.miamiherald.com/detour/article276156561.html

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 54,340 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

20 hours ago, rubyclaret said:

We are due to be in Cape Town for 3 or 4 nts in Jan 2024....nothing booked as yet.  Something that caught our eye was a Hot Ballooning trip over the Winelands, anybody done this ? Any thoughts ? Thanks.

Appreciate this good question and follow-up.  While we did not do hot air ballooning over the Winelands, we did experience a "close cousin".  What was it?

Helicopter adventure!!!  From the V&A area of Cape Town, we did a helicopter flight over the scenic coastal areas, over part of the wine country region, etc.  How was it?  Wonderful!!  See a couple of visuals samples below.  

Getting up high allows a much greater appreciation for the drama and scenic beauty in this region of South Africa.  If possible, DO IT!!

BUT, weather can be a factor.  Sunny weather makes things much better and so much more fun. 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 54,198 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

Here are just three of my visual "evidence" to prove that getting up HIGH in and around Cape Town can be fun and amazing.  Need more proof?  The third shot shows a couple of the famed sporting event sites in the Cape Town area.:

image.thumb.jpeg.243911776b05e95678eaae93523d2481.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.db08a13b9b469c17f2e469472e6ec13e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.93ea6c703b1cdf72e4073fde435bd6d6.jpeg

• Like 1