Equinox - Fresh out of dry dock/refurb June 1-8, 2019 _First time Celebrity cruisers_

poncho1973

Off topic  ..

To Oceangoer...

Not sure, of the date we went.  It was just after hurricane Sandy.  We cancelled a cruise on Reflection to  go....just needed some plain  R and R.  Our entire plane had the same idea!.  

Buildings were quite up to date back then,,...gym  was brand new.  Suggest Concierge or suite accomodation for  all the best.

Water was a bit chilly..I think one pool was heated,..but the sunshine was great, and it was not  crowded.  Very nice international  clientele of all ages, lovely property and a nice local airport.  We plan to return there but maybe in a warmer month...

Sandals Antigua looked nice from the beach..typucal Sandals look.  Saw a wedding ceremony through the fence!

The Eleuthra (?) Bahamas property with golf also looks  very enticing.

Edited by hcat

14 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

It is always good to do your homework before trying something new.  As for feeling “special” that is intrinsic in my case, each and every time I am able to get away and cruise to Europe...I have been watching this thread about Equinox and feel that so far, it is not the right ship for my DH and I, even though we both enjoyed it many years ago...will wait and see what other updates are planned, if any at all!  Just doing my homework and not blaming at all; I am responsible for my own happiness...

We have enjoyed Eq a number of times but just not that excited about the new look....esp compared to EDGE. We will skip it for now,  Oddly..we are more excited about the renovated Summit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CA_Cruzing said:

"and did the buildings appear old?" - nice trick there sliding in the "old" word.

while reading this thread, IMO, people a way too serious about age. age is a frame of mind. without "older" people there wouldn't be younger people. and if only "old" people sail X then who will sail when the "old" are gone? we are mutually dependent.

let's just all cruise and have some fun. i learn a lot from my "older" clients and i have a lot of fun with my "younger" clients.

let it all go. life is too short to B&M about age and how others experience life.

ok...pause on the lecture....even with the emphasis here on some of the more senior sailors, there was no pun intended re the word 'old'...but as you read it that way, must be a concern of yours.  I really only wanted the posters opinion on their land holiday.  There always will be those older/younger than ourselves...it's a given! 

Edited by oceangoer2

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Off topic  ..

To Oceangoer...

Not sure, of the date we went.  It was just after hurricane Sandy.  We cancelled a cruise on Reflection to  go....just needed some plain  R and R.  Our entire plane had the same idea!.  

Buildings were quite up to date back then,,...gym  was brand new.  Suggest Concierge or suite accomodation for  all the best.

Water was a bit chilly..I think one pool was heated,..but the sunshine was great, and it was not  crowded.  Very nice international  clientele of all ages, lovely property and a nice local airport.  We plan to return there but maybe in a warmer month...

Sandals Antigua looked nice from the beach..typucal Sandals look.  Saw a wedding ceremony through the fence!

The Eleuthra (?) Bahamas property with golf also looks  very enticing.

Thanks much!  Just investigated rates etc Feb/March...will compare....yes, Antigua looked nice from the catamaran when we passed by. We seem to be cruise addicts and can't deviate easily so outside opinions are really appreciated.  We are mid old in some respects - inevitable with life experiences, but young of body/mind;  find much in common with all ages - not too much with nit pickers and negativity.

Edited by oceangoer2

17 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

ok...pause on the lecture....even with the emphasis here on some of the more senior sailors, there was no pun intended re the word 'old'...but as you read it that way, must be a concern of yours.  I really only wanted the posters opinion on their land holiday.  There always will be those older/younger than ourselves...it's a given! 

So true.. and as CA cruizin pointed out  "Without us( older cruisers), there'd be no you! " ( younger cruisers)

If we need descriptive labels I  like "senior  sailors" much better than some  other choices.  

It is hard to try something new,..but the AIC Concierge level, worked well for us at the time..btw no big shows at night  where we went....they had a great reggae night on the beach,  and at least one big event each night.  pool dj each day...variety but never blasting,

We kind of broke our mold by trying an  IV on  EDGE,...we enjoyed it and are going back to try a Sunset Veranda.  We also have APEX booked,  will try Summit again, (mostly for the itin),  and think we will wait to hear more about EQ and Silhouette.

Hope more EQ reviews  come out soon!

Edited by hcat

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, mayleeman said:

By the way, what type of cabin is J2? I cannot find it anywhere in cabin code lists. 

Apparently, the J wasn't part of the cabin type just on the same line.  My apologies.

Closer view says 2A

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, mayleeman said:

I think it was more than one. When a comment gets over a dozen "likes" it seems to not be an outlier as you might think.

But I think if you hadn't put the comment in your section with the things you disliked or found lacking, you might have found a more receptive audience. Context is everything.

When I saw the comments about counting, I was reminded of the waltz lessons my wife and I took before our wedding so we could do our dance to Bette Midler's "The Rose".  Everyone was smiling and cheering (they knew I was the most reluctant dancer ever), and afterwards we all laughed when people good-naturedly kidded me about being glad I could count to 3 so many times.

Reading your post about the dancing was right next to the gripe about bad oldens driving scooters badly. So it felt like disapproval--pointing and laughing AT someone rather than appreciating and sharing the joy of someone concentrating hard to enjoy what is likely one of the few physical activities available to them at an an advanced age. The AM comments are cute--but misplaced: older people with memory issues may also revert to counting unconsciously to help them.

I think you probably meant your comments good naturedly. But it wouldn't hurt to acknowledge that to many it came across as "they should not be out there if they can't do it right" and thus was a bit tone deaf. When a lot of people don't understand your meaning, it is on you, not them.

I think anyone should be able to dance however that want to dance.  That doesn't mean it wasn't odd to watch.

I actually bet that it is a bit counterintuitive, though.  I bet the dance lessons probably keep some who just want get out there and shuffle with their loved one off the floor.  Like since they didn't bother to take lessons, they aren't good enough.

It's all about your perspective.  I'd rather just see someone enjoy themselves than technically hit the counts.  That's just me though and everything I wrote was from my perspective.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:39 PM, hcat said:

definition of OLDEN....Merriam Webster Dictionary

adjective
old·en | \ ˈōl-dən  \

: of or relating to a bygone era

Not a Noun!....there are better  words to decribe older adults or seniors

The more I think about this, the more I think it's just crap.  Young'uns isn't a word either.  No one is crying over that.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:53 AM, oceangoer2 said:

Bullet point style is very effective when reviewing;  generally agree with your opinions with the exception of alluding to those older than you (or am I guessing you're on the brink and afraid that will be you in a few years?).  You seem to enjoy demeaning those who must use these equipments in their later years.  If you are so young and agile, it should be easy to evade the oldsters' bumper cars hitting your knees.

That being said, you also come across as somewhat uppity.  You say you never felt 'special'...that may be because you aren't 'special'.  Staff responds to the way they are treated by the guest.  Doesn't help if the guest ensures, in some manner, that the staff member feels he/she is there to serve a very 'special' person and the guest is somewhat condescending to them.

Like another poster, you totally went another direction on the special comment.  I don't want to be treated like a special flower or like my cruise is more important than anyone else's cruise.  What you aren't grasping is that EVERYONE should feel like they are special on a cruise.  I understand what you're saying about how a person gets what they give.  We are extremely friendly and outgoing.  I'm in no way condescending to anyone in the service industry, mainly because half of my family are in the industry.  I live in Orlando, most of my friends are in the industry in some capacity.  That's a massive jump to make from a simple comment and a wildly incorrect one.

Also, I have no issues with my age or my journey into my later years.  As I said in a previous post, being an olden isn't necessarily about your age. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, poncho1973 said:

I think anyone should be able to dance however that want to dance.  That doesn't mean it wasn't odd to watch.

I actually bet that it is a bit counterintuitive, though.  I bet the dance lessons probably keep some who just want get out there and shuffle with their loved one off the floor.  Like since they didn't bother to take lessons, they aren't good enough.

It's all about your perspective.  I'd rather just see someone enjoy themselves than technically hit the counts.  That's just me though and everything I wrote was from my perspective.

Hopefully you'll grow out of that perspective in time and into one with more sensitivity and insight....JMHO, and perhaps perspective.  I've observed, on every cruise, those who count their steps (my daughter is a professional dancer and they DO count but silently), those who are pretty good without being semi-professional, those who shuffle to the music not caring that people like you are watching and being critical and little kids letting it all hang out and genuinely having fun.  I've never seen the 'counters' impede anyone else's ability to enjoy themselves.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:53 AM, oceangoer2 said:

Some of the service.  I don't want to sound entitled or bratty in any way, but my wife and I looked at each other last night as we were packing and said that we never felt special AT ALL on this entire trip to that point.   What...no red carpet? Someone forgot you were coming?

• Elite status.  After the goodies you get as a Diamond on Royal, being Elite on Celebrity was like being Gold on Royal.  You really don't get much at all.  The Captain's Club event on 5 of 7 nights was like the Diamond Lounge's ugly stepsister.  They had 3 canapes each night and the options on the drink list were really light.  It's no wonder the place was a ghost town!  Finding a seat wasn't a problem, you could have almost any seat!  You counted the canapes??
  • The oldens.  Holy crap was the age of this cruise INSANELY HIGHER than any cruise we've been on in the Caribbean.  So many hover-rounds!  So, so, so, so many smashed feet because the people driving them were crazy!  So many wheelchairs and canes!  So many Arthur Murray dance lesson graduates!  My wife said it was cute to watch them dance their routines and watch them mouth the step counts, but it was also very Stepford.  I'm no dancing judge, but it seems like dancing should be about feeling and not counting.  But if a song was playing, there was an A-M graduate couple out there counting! You seemed to have spent a lot of time watching;  must have been enjoyable making fun of those getting exercise while you were sitting.  So much perfume in the elevator!  AS A SIDEBAR, the i-Lounge was so funny and great for older folks.  There was always a line in there of older folks asking for help on their phones or tablets.  They had daily classes to teach people how to use them.  Now getting beyond the absurd that you canvassed so many venues looking for 'oldens' - is there such a word? - to 'review' their habits.
  • The specialty dining or our lack thereof.  We tried to get in and they simply don't return phone calls.  I called the day of once and managed to get a real person, he told me that I could ONLY get Le Petite Chef and ONLY at 9pm.  No thanks.  But then we spoke to several people who said their specialty dining was mostly empty.  I called twice more and was forced to leave a message... no returned calls.  They must not have wanted our money.  The second-to-last night we were walking the hallways after dinner and peeped in on 3.  Tuscan was 1/2 empty.  Morano looked like pretty empty.  Sushi on 5 was empty except for 3 tables.  A guy offered us lunch the next day for $30 or dinner for $25... we were on it!  Why did it take until the last day? Staffing depends on preceding reservations in almost any 'fine dining' venue...being the special person you are, you must have known that.  Or did you expect, because you were so special, that a table would be set especially for you.
  • Everything cost more, or at least almost everything.  Then again, it's the upgraded line, so people with more money come on it?  Bland sarcasm here.  Money doesn't buy class...again, you must know that being so special.

It was our first experience on X.  I think I'd like to try Edge or one of her sisters at some point in the future, but from this very limited experience, I'm not seeing how X is the future for us.  We'll try again, for sure, but after several people IRL told us we'd never go back to Royal after we "moved up to X" I think that it just isn't the case.  It's not going to be a regular thing for us.  Not sure you will be missed.

Wow.  I missed the red parts.  That's a deep level of bitterness you've got there.  I'll just leave that alone because that's a whole different level of crotchety.  WOW!

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:18 AM, sjb317 said:

Nice review and based on our experiences with Celebrity, my opinion is you are pretty accurate.😀  We enjoy Celebrity but Royal is our first choice.  However, When Celebrity offers a better price, we grab it!

We will be on Equinox in 2 weeks so will see how our week compares with yours. We may be  among the “counting dancers” but our’s is Fred Astaire instead of Arthur. 😂

Sherri🙂

I'll be waiting for your views!  Have a great time.

8 minutes ago, poncho1973 said:

Wow.  I missed the red parts.  That's a deep level of bitterness you've got there.  I'll just leave that alone because that's a whole different level of crotchety.  WOW!

Just commenting on your own words, complete with pictures...will not defend ''deep level of bitterness"....if that's how you see it you must be looking for someone who agrees with your condescending remarks.  Again, a slam against the older generation which must be 'crotchety' when they disagree with you because they're older?  Re caps 'WOW'...must have reached you,...perhaps you'll now rethink when posting how your remarks may be received.

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Like 1

This is like the Star Wars movies when you think stormtroopers are bad and then you meet Darth Vadar and you're like OOOOH HE'S BAD and then you meet Emperor Palpatine and you're like OOOOOOOOOOOOH SNAP!  NOW I'VE SEEN THE DEPTH OF YOUR WAYS!

It's like every post gets further to the dark side!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, poncho1973 said:

The more I think about this, the more I think it's just crap.  Young'uns isn't a word either.  No one is crying over that.

I think you are getting feedback with varying viewpoints. No need to  defend your position...it is you!

A new thread on Scooter Safety  and Etiquette  may be a good idea in view of your report .

Young'un

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

1. A young human being; - a contraction of young one.

Edited by hcat

1 minute ago, hcat said:

A new thread on Scooter Safety  and Etiquette  may be a good idea in view of your report .

That might be a good idea.  Although, it would probably have a greater impact if people who use them or have family who use them (ideally, APPROPRIATELY) started it.  I just watched them cause chaos.

Sidebar: some poster mentioned me getting hit by a scooter, I just wanted to be clear that I did not personally get hit.  I saw a man with a child get hit in the knee and a lady get pushed over a tabletop.  We saw rude behavior several times, but I did not actually take a hit from one.

As an almost-Diamond on Royal, I appreciated the perspective you brought to your review.  As your contemporary (just barely old enough for AARP membership), I totally "get" where you were coming from on the "oldens".  Hopefully people here will un-knot their knickers and let it go, but I doubt it.  

I also know what you mean about the "feeling special" aspect.  I've found that the staff on Royal in general tend to go out of their way to do any little thing to make every passenger feel catered to.  Things like your room steward opening your cabin door if he sees you coming, your MDR waiter remembering that you like the pumpkin seed rolls and making sure there are plenty in the bread basket, a waiter knowing your regular drink in the Schooner Bar, and just a general feeling from the staff that they are happy that you are there. 

I guess I'd compare it to ordering at McDonald's versus ordering at Chick-Fil-A.  Both are fast food restaurants, but at Chick-Fil-A the staff are trained to act REALLY nice... they say, "It was my pleasure!" instead of just "Thank you."  They use their facial expressions and body language to match the words, too, versus the often-robotic and lackluster staff at other fast food establishments.  It's not just about you as a person, but rather the way they treat all their customers.  On Royal, I see it not only in the service staff (waiters, stewards, guest services), but even with the cleaning staff, the pool towel staff, the guy squeegeeing the water off the pool deck, etc.  

Regarding the "silverware" issue, it might have been a language technicality -- the utensils aren't actually made of silver anymore, so they aren't actually silverware.  We don't really make the distinction anymore, calling it "silverware" even if it is made from plastic, but perhaps the employee was raised that only silver utensils are silverware, and everything else is tableware / flatware / cutlery / whatever.  

I personally don't use Royal's rock climbing walls, Flowrider, etc., but I do prefer to be on a ship with lots to do and lots of different activities, if for no other reason than it means that the people will be spread throughout the ship, making it easier for me to find a shaded lounger on the pool deck to relax with my Kindle!  😎

PS -- I also enjoyed your Scooby Doo reference.  I never like the show b/c they were all the exact same show!  LOL

Edited by brillohead
forgot Scooby Doo
  • Like 2

Enjoyed your review.  Took it with the humor in which it was intended. I would be considered an "olden".  Not offended by the term or your perspective. As someone in this forum has stated "olden", is a state of mind.  

I'm very cognizant of scooter drivers after almost getting run down by one on a cruise.  The lady driving actually did hit another nearby passenger who was unable to get out of the way.  The passenger she ran into was totally fuming when we got into the elevator together.  The driver was very apologetic. She even admitted the scooter confused her. Probably should not have been on a scooter. 

We'll be on the Equinox in August.  We've only done one other Celebrity cruise.  Their Captain's Club evening event doesn't come close to Royal's as you mentioned.  The one thing that surprised us is it not being offered on the first night.  

No matter how our cruise unfolds, we are anticipating being on board. Thanks for sharing the overview of your experience. 

Edited by denamo
  • Like 1

It would be nice if there were a "scooter license" issued on board... everyone using a scooter would have to successfully navigate an obstacle course in order to be assigned a scooter license (like what motorcyclists have to do).  

If they don't pass the scooter test, the scooter is taken away from them and they're issued a standard wheelchair for the cruise instead. 

The people who are able to drive one are able to continue doing so.  The people who have never used one before and didn't bother to practice at Wal-Mart before the cruise and don't have a clue what they're doing can get pushed around instead. Safer for everyone.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What many able bodied people don't realize is that cruising is a great travel option for people who have mobility issues. You just have to get yourself to the ship... and then it takes you and your hotel to different destinations.  DH detached his quad muscle a few years back and after two modestly successful... though not completely successful surgeries... we discovered the scooter. We have been on about 25 cruises or so.. the last two he broke down and rented a scooter. Fortunately he has not run into anything.. yet. But I do recall seeing people on previous cruises... seemingly out of control. They do provide instructions with the scooter... but ... while highly impractical... it would be nice if there was someone who could give the newbie a quick lesson on the speed control knob...   Now one idea... would be that instead of leaving the scooter in your cabin (if you have mobility issues... you might need wheelchair assistance just to get to your cabin)... you had to go to a central location to pick up your scooter... and there someone could give you a quick review of the equipment.... This could be done for those who are first time renters.... 

For those of you who are bothered by seeing so many older or disabled people on ships.... count yourself lucky..... one bad fall and you could suddenly find yourself joining the crowd... And as you stand by the elevator.... just remember some don't have the option of using the stairs. If it is crowded... I will often tell DH I will meet him... and take the stairs... gives me some exercise and one less person in the elevator. Some ships are better for all the scooters than others...newer ships have wider and more elevators... and wider cabin doors... One challenge is finding the best ship and cabin if you do use a scooter. We have not considered accessible cabins... since DH can stand... so no need for an accessible bathroom.... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kearney said:

What many able bodied people don't realize is that cruising is a great travel option for people who have mobility issues. You just have to get yourself to the ship... and then it takes you and your hotel to different destinations.  DH detached his quad muscle a few years back and after two modestly successful... though not completely successful surgeries... we discovered the scooter. We have been on about 25 cruises or so.. the last two he broke down and rented a scooter. Fortunately he has not run into anything.. yet.

This is sad that there are those on this thread who feel the need to almost apologize for being that hampered by immobility they must use a scooter.  This could be any age group, but the OP CHOSE those who are in the next generation from him/her to literally make sarcastic and self-amusing remarks.  It isn't only the scooter issue (they settled on that) but being old"er" in general on X cruises.  I am very flexible, agile, walk and golf almost every day.  I've said two of the cruelest hits in life I could take is losing my reading and/or walking ability, so I definitely feel for those who enjoy being away from their home and holiday,  and to do so must use some sort of assist.  I am also surprised the site host hasn't commented on the direction, from the very beginning, this thread has taken re ageism.  If it was about obesity or a mental problem it would have been taken down.  I guess ageism is allowed.

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

This is sad that there are those on this thread who feel the need to almost apologize for being that hampered by immobility they must use a scooter.  This could be any age group, but the OP CHOSE those who are in the next generation from him/her to literally make sarcastic and self-amusing remarks.  It isn't only the scooter issue (they settled on that) but being old"er" in general on X cruises.  I am very flexible, agile, walk and golf almost every day.  I've said two of the cruelest hits in life I could take is losing my reading and/or walking ability, so I definitely feel for those who enjoy being away from their home and holiday,  and to do so must use some sort of assist.  I am also surprised the site host hasn't commented on the direction, from the very beginning, this thread has taken re ageism.  If it was about obesity or a mental problem it would have been taken down.  I guess ageism is allowed.

Understood. But in all fairness.... there was a time when I wondered about people on scooters... in my naiveté I thought they just did not want to walk.... for several years DH would not consider a scooter..... but just looking at the pain on his face.... one cruise... I insisted... it was a life saver... or perhaps I should say 'cruise saver'. But with age comes experience and with experience a bit of wisdom.

• Like 3

I think it is the difference between a cruise review and a “judgement” of older people.  Starting the paragraph with “Holy Crap” and mocking traits like counting steps of older people with sarcasm is different from critiquing the food or even the scooters.  I’ve been shoved aside by scooters on ramp and, yes, it was annoying but I needed to consider that older person and how hard the scooters are to get used to.  As we get older, there are more challenges, financially, physically, and culturally.  I don’t need to be mocked by the youngers in addition.  Remember, I’ve been young 20, 30, 40, 50, etc but the youngers have not— I hope this ageism stops.

• Like 4

On 6/10/2019 at 9:58 PM, PhoenixCruiser said:

Thanks for your review!

Just reading about the perfume gave me a headache.  I loved my Grandmother  - but boy I could smell her before I could see and it caused an immediate headache.  

That’s how my husband gets.  I guess we better be sure we have plenty of Advil! Lol

• Like 1