How to choose between 7-day NCL Alaska cruise options?

fondtravel

What do you think are the most important considerations in deciding between a Jewel 7-day northbound Alaska cruise and a Bliss 7-day Seattle roundtrip Alaska cruise for a family with grade school children? Both itineraries involve Glacier Bay in August, but it looks like port stops or times may be a little better for the Jewel 7-day northbound (which also includes Hubbard Glacier)? But then it’s a smaller ship than the Bliss, so probably less for children to do? The Jewel is also an older ship recently refurbed- but some recent cruisecritic reviews make it seem like the refurb was not that extensive? This would be a first Alaska cruise for the family, and there might not be another one.

3 hours ago, fondtravel said:

What do you think are the most important considerations in deciding between a Jewel 7-day northbound Alaska cruise and a Bliss 7-day Seattle roundtrip Alaska cruise for a family with grade school children? Both itineraries involve Glacier Bay in August, but it looks like port stops or times may be a little better for the Jewel 7-day northbound (which also includes Hubbard Glacier)? But then it’s a smaller ship than the Bliss, so probably less for children to do? The Jewel is also an older ship recently refurbed- but some recent cruisecritic reviews make it seem like the refurb was not that extensive? This would be a first Alaska cruise for the family, and there might not be another one.

We did the Bliss from Seattle. Seattle is a great city to explore at any age. We did a bus tour of the city before the cruise and spent the night after and went to Pike's Market. Bliss is an incredible ship with lots to do for kids and adults.  If you can swing the Haven, it's well worth it on the Bliss as it has it's own restaurant, pool, huge observation area to view the Glaciers that isn't crowded.....  

We just got off the Joy.  While talking with a staff member at the Cruise Next desk he mentioned that the average age of passengers on the Joy was 35, the Jewel is 65, because of families with kids on the Joy.  Your better bet is the Bliss which would be more in line with the Joy.  LOTS of multi generational families.  LOTS of kids.  All very well behaved.

15 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

The additional airfare from the disembarkation port for the Jewel might be a deal breaker. I've been on the Jewel twice- nice ship.

YES the ole airfare -

The BLISS sails out of and returns to Seattle for making a simple round trip by air to most cities.

Now the JEWEL northbound sails out of Vancouver and ends at Seward (Anchorage) needing a 120 or so mile ground

connection to get to the airport in Anchorage.

Alaska RR - charter Transfer Motor Coach - private shuttle - rent-a-car are some of the options

Vancouver at the start can fly into that city or into Seattle and take ground transportation to the Canada Place Pier.

This is not an easy package to put together without a lot of research.

The BLISS or the JOY would be the better bet for the children and your adult traveling sanity !

Alaska is one huge piece of scenic country that needs several trips to see even a bit of it !

My 12 year old son and I are going on the Jewel in July.

It was a CAS cruise so we didn't really have a lot of options for Alaska cruises but I have noticed there isn't a lot of kids things on the ship.. We're only on the ship 3 days so it should be fine.

The airfare was an issue. It cost us twice as much to fly Anchorage to Ottawa as it does to fly Ottawa to Vancouver. We also have a 3 leg flight - Anchorage - Vancouver - Toronto - Ottawa.  I was willing to pay the price since we saves so much on the cruise.

The northbound Jewel would be my choice. If you have time, do the land tour to Denali National Park. 

For us, the only way to get from the port to the airport is via the domed train. You can book it as a ShoreEx or save a little and book it on your own. 

The Jewel was [one of] the first ship to undergo the NorwegianNext upgrades. So it already had the new restaurant branding, electronics, etc. So the changes during her most recent dry dock were less “noticeable”. The ship was probably still gutted during the dry dock, but replacing one O’Sheehan’s sign with another is probably not noticeable. 

If you are in US, flying into SEA is much easier and fares more reasonable.

Vancouver airport is not fun if you are US citizen and have to do customs . Cost of fares are much higher and usually you need connecting flights for YVR from US.

As far as ships from SEA.  

Depends on itinerary you are looking for.

We did Bliss last year, and saw Sawyer Glacier.

We are doing Bliss this year with Glacier Bay.   

If you are going to go only once, I would recommend a cruise that included Glacier Bay.

Edited by phissy

For the most part in AK you have SEE days the exceptions are the Joy and Bliss in open ocean on the west side of Vancouver Island for the first and last days - the Jewel sees open ocean between Glacier Bay and Seward for a day. The rest of the time you are either in Port or in the inside passage with land on both sides.

As far as ports go, there is not enough time spent on any cruise to see and do everything they have to offer.

Not knowing what your kids enjoy it is hard to say which cruise would fit you best. My preference is: Jewel, Bliss, Joy but we are both semi retired and are easily entertained by nature and really don't care all that much about the ship.

Our next AK adventure will most likely be an RV trip up the Alcan hy and tour the interior of AK. However we might also do NB cruise and travel on our own for a couple of weeks and then cruise back.

Thanks to you all for your thoughtful advice. I hadn’t thought properly about the difference in ground transportation costs yet— important to consider on top of then price of the cruise itself!