Carnival to Jamaica

beshears

I know when people see the heading, they will suggest that I go to the Jamaica area, which I have, but have NOT gotten any response. 😞

If you have been to Jamaica, especially Ocho Rios, what would you suggest that we see/do (it has been 12 years since I have been there), other than Dunns River Falls, which is awesome? 

Also, do you know if the Prospect Plantation is still open?  We had such a wonderful tour of the plantation 12 years go, and I would love to take my family there again, if it is still open.

16 minutes ago, beshears said:

I know when people see the heading, they will suggest that I go to the Jamaica area, which I have, but have NOT gotten any response. 😞

If you have been to Jamaica, especially Ocho Rios, what would you suggest that we see/do (it has been 12 years since I have been there), other than Dunns River Falls, which is awesome? 

Also, do you know if the Prospect Plantation is still open?  We had such a wonderful tour of the plantation 12 years go, and I would love to take my family there again, if it is still open.

You won't get a response in the Jamaica section.i went last year and came back and answered my own question.I'm in the same situation.im going to play it by ear when we get there..not a lot of information out there.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Yes, Prospect Plantation is still open, along with Dunns River Falls, You also have Mystic Dunes where you can ride the Bob Sledge and Bob Marley museum. Jamaica has the most activities out of all the Islands in the Caribbean, because it's much large than the other Islands.I was born in Jamaica and cruise alot too on CCL, RCL and NCL.

• Like 1

Oh thank you "everyone" for your responses.  It has been 20 years or more since I have seen Dunn's River Falls, and did the Prospect Plantation( the only reason I knew the name was I had put the name with my picture of our tour), which was great!  After all those years, a person never knows (even when Googling) whether something is still current where we were years ago.  I would love for my 3 sons and wives to enjoy/see what I did 20 years ago.

8 hours ago, beshears said:

Oh thank you "everyone" for your responses.  It has been 20 years or more since I have seen Dunn's River Falls, and did the Prospect Plantation( the only reason I knew the name was I had put the name with my picture of our tour), which was great!  After all those years, a person never knows (even when Googling) whether something is still current where we were years ago.  I would love for my 3 sons and wives to enjoy/see what I did 20 years ago.

Dunn River Falls is still there. And I'm sure the locals there are just as pushy as they were in the past. (We were there on a land trip in 1997.)

We did zip lining and Dunn River Falls in a January. After they took us to Margaritaville and we had jerk chicken and rice and beans. When lunch was over you got back in the bus and you had the option to be dropped off at a shopping area or back near the ship. 

We did a 7 day land based vacation in Jamaica so it was a dilemma for us to figure out what to do once we returned via cruise ship.  We found Courtney Taylor tours on line and went to the Blue Hole and tubing on the White river.  A short stop for Jerk chicken per our request.  All in all it was an enjoyable day in Jamaica. 

A lot of people look for help in the port of call threads but find it easier to ask a question on this board because they get a faster response.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Dunn River Falls is still there. And I'm sure the locals there are just as pushy as they were in the past. (We were there on a land trip in 1997.)

Its funny, SUPER pushy when you get off a ship. We did an AI in Runaway bay, like 20miles away last year. Maybe the least pushy people I have ever met haha

Its definitely not an active thread. I have been to Jamaica about 10 times on land vacations and a few cruises. I am having a rough time figuring out what to do with a 3.5 year old. Bobsled  videos shows signs that say he can go with an adult but all the booking says 5. Falls , I think there is a kid area but not sure. I know my granddaughter Zipline and tubed at 5 but not sure about a littler one. Any suggestions on this?

We were in Ocho Rios in February and did a combination tour with Peat Taylor visiting Dunns River Falls and the Cool Blue Hole.  We had a great time and our driver made sure we were aware of what scams various vendors and hawkers try to pull and how to avoid them.  In between the two venues we had a nice narrated tour of the area.  We finished up our day with Lunch at Margarittaville and some shopping outside the port.  Really the vendors were no more "pushy" than any other Caribbean cruise port.

We used Erroll at Travel Jamaica Tours.  We got him to take us to Blue hole and then tubing.  I would highly recommend going to Blue Hole instead of Dunns River Falls.  Google Blue Hole in Jamaica and look at some of the videos.  There are very few people that go up there so it is much more relaxing and away from the crowds.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 10:13 AM, 1994te said:

I would highly recommend going to Blue Hole instead of Dunns River Falls.  Google Blue Hole in Jamaica and look at some of the videos.  There are very few people that go up there so it is much more relaxing and away from the crowds.

I did Google them and unless your cruise is on a Tuesday,  forget Blue Hole.  This is what I found:  

Days of Operation & Tour Time(s):

• Monday:Closed

• Tuesday:10:00 AM

• Wednesday:Closed

• Thursday:Closed

• Friday:Closed

• Saturday:Closed

• Sunday:Closed

I am not sure where you found these times, but other sites have Blue Hole open every day.  I can only go by what I have done in the past, so I would contact a private tour company and see if they would take you to Blue Hole on the day your ship is in port.  I used Erroll of Travel Jamaica Tours, but I am sure other private drivers or tour guides will take you there and can give you information if it is open.
On 6/16/2019 at 5:29 AM, RWolver672 said:

I did Google them and unless your cruise is on a Tuesday,  forget Blue Hole.  This is what I found:  

Days of Operation & Tour Time(s):

• Monday:Closed

• Tuesday:10:00 AM

• Wednesday:Closed

• Thursday:Closed

• Friday:Closed

• Saturday:Closed

• Sunday:Closed

48 minutes ago, 1994te said:

I am not sure where you found these times, but other sites have Blue Hole open every day.  I can only go by what I have done in the past, so I would contact a private tour company and see if they would take you to Blue Hole on the day your ship is in port.  I used Erroll of Travel Jamaica Tours, but I am sure other private drivers or tour guides will take you there and can give you information if it is open.

Unfortunately, now I can't find that site.  I did think when I saw it that it seemed strange that they would only be open one day a week.

36 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Unfortunately, now I can't find that site.  I did think when I saw it that it seemed strange that they would only be open one day a week.

Yes very weird, but sometimes things change.  It is a very beautiful spot and off the beaten path.  Our driver took us there and hired a guide to guide us through the falls.  We will definitely go back.

Oh my, thank you "everyone" for your responses to my question.  Actually, since yesterday was "Father's Day," and we were blessed to be with my youngest son and family, I decided to "let the cat out of the bag." 🙂 When all three of my sons were in the kitchen, I ASK them what they thought about going on another cruise (their wives included) next year.  They ALL piped in and say, YES!!!  Now, with all your responses, this will give me some homework to do. 🙂

On 6/13/2019 at 9:36 AM, Warm Breezes said:

When we were there a couple years ago we did the Jamaican Bob Sled on Mystic Mountain.  That was pretty fun.

I might consider that it we went back, or just do the Bob Marley Bus again. DW is more likely to try that since she is into winter sports, ice skating and cross country skiing.

I think we were on the same Carnival cruise including Jamaica. It was a few years ago, and I remember "Warm Breezes" from the roll call.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I might consider that it we went back, or just do the Bob Marley Bus again. DW is more likely to try that since she is into winter sports, ice skating and cross country skiing.

I think we were on the same Carnival cruise including Jamaica. It was a few years ago, and I remember "Warm Breezes" from the roll call.

Our one time in Jamaica was on the Carnival Freedom 8/18/2013.  We will be heading there again this October on Carnival Sensation.  We are still trying to figure out we will be doing there this time.  We did enjoy Mystic Mountain and the Bob Sled when we were there though.  We had 3 teenage kids with us we when went but I think I liked it just as much as the kids.  "ontheweb" looks familiar to me too.  Not sure if it was this cruise or another Carnival one though.

Image may contain: tree, plant and outdoor

Image may contain: 2 people

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

We went to the Blue Hole and I would also highly recommend this.  We used Chris Jamaica Tours.  We went there as soon as we got off the ship, and we practically had the place to ourselves.  It was amazing.  My kids still talk about how beautiful it was!  As we were leaving, it was getting quite crowded...so if you go to Blue Hole - go there first and do your other sightseeing/adventuring later!

4 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

Our one time in Jamaica was on the Carnival Freedom 8/18/2013.  We will be heading there again this October on Carnival Sensation.  We are still trying to figure out we will be doing there this time.  We did enjoy Mystic Mountain and the Bob Sled when we were there though.  We had 3 teenage kids with us we when went but I think I liked it just as much as the kids.  "ontheweb" looks familiar to me too.  Not sure if it was this cruise or another Carnival one though.

Image may contain: tree, plant and outdoor

Image may contain: 2 people

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

That was the cruise we were on also. round trip Fort Lauderdale with stops at Key West, Cayman Islands, and Jamaica.

Several times in Jamaica we did a Carnival Shore Tour called "Cool Running". It was a nice sailboat to Dunns River Falls. I could not climb the falls the last time so I just stayed on the beach until everyone came back down. Hope they still have the tour!