SEA Pier 91 embarkation

riversights

On embarkation day for our Alaska cruise, a family member will deliver us to Pier 91.  Is there easy access to check-in?  This is our maiden cruise.  We are boobs at seagoing, so our questions are rather humble and basic.  Thank you for replying!

Walk in door after leaving any luggage you want to drop off with the porters, weave through the cattle fences, ride the magic escalators to the promise land (almost). Through the metal detectors then line up to check in.  - This is based on me not mixing up my embarkation ports. 

• Like 1

The drop off zone is shaped like a big horseshoe.  Your driver drives in and stops at the appropriate place.  Unloads luggage and people, says good-bye and drives off.  You'll give your properly tagged luggage to a porter and then walk in the door.  Find the right line.  Go through security.  Go to the check-in counter.  Get on board.  Yay!

It is quite chaotic.  But, there are signs and cruise ship folks everywhere to guide you through each step.  They are usually very friendly and helpful.  And just remember, on the other side of what seems like an endless line (which goes pretty quickly) is your home for the next however many days.  

One more thing; Pier 91 is kind of under a bridge and across an industrial-looking area.  When you first come down the off-ramp it's easy to miss the entrance and end up in long-term parking.  Well, at least it was for me.  Just follow the signs and again, there are people everywhere who are there to help.  Have a great time.

• Thanks 1

First, make sure you've put your luggage tags on each piece of luggage before arriving at the port.  I always put 2 on each bag.  As your friends drive up, they'll drop you and your bags off in the designated area. 

Don't forget to tip the stevedores (guys who take your luggage at the port).  These guys will direct you where to go to the building entrance.  Next, you will need to each have your passport and boarding pass ready to enter the building.  Port representatives will direct you from there. 

Another newbie tip - the first day is often overwhelming.  You'll be in a daze and your head might be swimming a bit.  Get unpacked, get to bed at a decent hour and the next day will be much smoother.  Even after 46 cruises, I still feel exhausted and overwhelmed on the first day (although not quite as much as I used to).  And, don't expect everything to be perfect.  It won't be.  Roll with the punches, relax and enjoy yourselves.  Bon voyage!  🙂

Oops - looks like we were posting at the same time. 

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for these candid, knowledgeable embarkation tips.  We will soon join the flow to check-in, and I hope we have gained enough savvy from your (collective) wisdom and experience to recognize signage and look for yellow jackets and remember to tip the porters.  Oh, what's a good tip for those baggage handlers?  

Edited by riversights
missing letter

Please have your passport / travel documents in hand as you enter the Pier 91 Terminal building.  They will be looked at multiple times before you board the ship.

If possible, do use the porter service (yellow vest) outside - it will save you from waiting in one line inside the building.  PCL luggage  tags with your stateroom number need to be attached to your bags in order for the porters to be able to take your luggage.

$5 porter tip would suffice.

• Thanks 1

My tip for porters:  $5 per bag, minimum $10.

If you do wind up in the lane for long term parking just go with it and stay to the right - the road will go back to the drop off area.   I drop off wife with luggage, go park and return on the van.  Seattle pier 91 is one of the easiest to do that.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for the helpful posts.  For experienced voyagers, the cruise culture (its environment, protocols, and routines) is natural and familiar.  But brochures don't tell all, and life is in the small details (like what's a good tip).  So many thanks!