Question about taxes and port fees

katz

We just booked a cruise that has been deeply discounted due to the Cuban ports being cancelled.  Before I asked my TA what the deal is, I wanted to ask CC people.  The cruise fare w/o air is $998.00 pp.  The taxes and fees are $751.  Can anyone explain why the taxes are so high.  Thank you for your help.

Providing specific information about which cruise you booked, cabin type, and the duration of that cruise may help to address your rather vague question. Details, Details!

Edited by pinotlover

I have not seen taxes & fees added to any invoice  in many years

Usually the price you see online/brochures is the total price

Maybe your TA is giving  you the breakdown from their invoice ???

agree you need to provide more info

OP: as already suggested, the devil is in the detail. How many (and which) ports is a major factor in determining what percent of your total cabin cost will be port charges.

And, obviously, some locations are more expensive than others (or none, which is one reason why transoceanic cruises with lots of sea days are less costly).

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

OP: as already suggested, the devil is in the detail. How many (and which) ports is a major factor in determining what percent of your total cabin cost will be port charges.

And, obviously, some locations are more expensive than others (or none, which is one reason why transoceanic cruises with lots of sea days are less costly).

BTW: just because a particular port is dropped by the cruise line does not mean that previously committed port fees are credited by entities at that port.

I believe the OP is a victim of the "port charges" by TA's.  Is the amount listed as "port taxes and fees" or "port taxes, fees, and charges"?  Many times a TA will take the "non-commissionable" portion of the cruise fare out of their advertised fare, and lump it into "port charges".  The best way to check is to try booking the same cruise with the cruise line.  If the cruise line's fare and "port taxes and fees" come out to nearly the same as the TA's reduced "fare" and increased "port taxes, fees, and charges", then this is generally what has happened.

12 hours ago, katz said:

We just booked a cruise that has been deeply discounted due to the Cuban ports being cancelled.  Before I asked my TA what the deal is, I wanted to ask CC people.  The cruise fare w/o air is $998.00 pp.  The taxes and fees are $751.  Can anyone explain why the taxes are so high.  Thank you for your help.

Probably because Oceania was forced to change ports at the last minute and had to take what remained available at that time.

Supply and demand, my friend.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I believe the OP is a victim of the "port charges" by TA's.  Is the amount listed as "port taxes and fees" or "port taxes, fees, and charges"?  Many times a TA will take the "non-commissionable" portion of the cruise fare out of their advertised fare, and lump it into "port charges".  The best way to check is to try booking the same cruise with the cruise line.  If the cruise line's fare and "port taxes and fees" come out to nearly the same as the TA's reduced "fare" and increased "port taxes, fees, and charges", then this is generally what has happened.

I think most of you (including "the chief") correctly hit on the answer.  When we book our cruises through our TA, we receive 2 different invoices at the time of the booking and when actual deposits have been paid.....One, from the travel agent and a second one from the cruise line.  Various charges are broken out differently on the 2 invoices, but the "bottom line" total cost of the cruise (excluding separately provided "discounts") is the same on both invoices.  The travel agency invoice shows the taxes/port fees as a separate line item/cost, whereas it's all included as a single "cruise fare" on the cruise line's invoice (not show as a separate charge).  But on the TA's invoice, it also (additionally) lists the OBC's, refunds, pre-paid grats, etc. that the TA is providing.  Those "credits" are not shown on the cruise line's invoice (other than separate OBC's that may be provided directly by the cruise line).  The costs/fares might be itemized or depicted differently to customers on invoices generated in different countries Regards.

16 hours ago, katz said:

Please do look at the link LHT28 provided to compare what your TA quoted to the port fees and taxes included fare w/o air.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/caribbean-cruise-deals/