Should I stay in the Doral Area

phillyguy31

Planning on possibly driving to Miami for our next cruise out of there. Normally when we fly we stay at one of the Port hotels, but since parking is obscene there though I would stay where parking is free and even possibly use a cruise special rate. Since I am not familar with the area just looking for some input on what is around because our DGD's will be with us. This also helps me decide wether I shoiuld fly or drive when adding all cost factors in.

There is a very wide range of quality (and quality of location) for hotels in the City of Doral. You could be in an industrial area immediately west of the airport, or noticeably further north or south.  Can you give us a few of the hotels you have found park-n-cruise packages at--I've never heard that they are prevalent in that area. 

And what ages are your granddaughters? Since you will have a car finding family friendly restaurants won't be an issue. But I presume you are looking at a shuttle ride to the port, and then finding your own transportation back to your car when you disembark--return shuttles are rarely included. Can you wrangle all the luggage and a couple small children simultaneously--and are they patient enough for the rides in either a hot and crowded van, or possibly a taxi driven by someone unfamiliar with the destination?

Bottom line is that stay-park-fly (or cruise) packages at MIA area hotels are usually offered only because there would otherwise be no other reason to choose that particular property. If the savings over parking at the port is truly great enough to justify the significant extra time and effort involved--you probably don't want to bring the grandkids there. 

I suggest staying cheaper outside of South Florida (West Palm and north, or Orlando) and the driving to the port the morning of your cruise and parking there. Less hassle with grandkids and luggage and about the same $$.

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

I suggest staying cheaper outside of South Florida (West Palm and north, or Orlando) and the driving to the port the morning of your cruise and parking there. Less hassle with grandkids and luggage and about the same $$.

So you are suggesting staying outside of Miami to then drive to Miami and park at the Port? How is a 1-4 hour drive the day of the cruise easier? 

To the OP, you have a car so Doral is fine. I agree give us the hotels you are thinking about and we can help you more. Doral is a typical Miami suburb. Plenty of places to eat near by in car. But with a car you could head into the city easily. 

• Like 1

West Palm to POM is about 90 minutes, maybe 2 hours of there is traffic. Staying outside of Miami saves money that you can spend on covered, safe, and convenient parking at the port. No shuttles or taxis - OP can be an hour on the road before he gets to his car in Doral.

15 hours ago, Flymia said:

So you are suggesting staying outside of Miami to then drive to Miami and park at the Port? How is a 1-4 hour drive the day of the cruise easier? 

To the OP, you have a car so Doral is fine. I agree give us the hotels you are thinking about and we can help you more. Doral is a typical Miami suburb. Plenty of places to eat near by in car. But with a car you could head into the city easily. 

Agreed. Doral isn't exactly far from the port. Plenty of reasonably priced hotels and decent options. 

I am IHG (holiday Inn) member so one of those is probably would be my first choice, I saw several different brands there. the kids will be 14 and 12 both girls. Which is another reason why I may want to fly...LOL.

If driving, I might consider staying in the Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood area.  It's an easy drive to the cruise port/parking the morning of the cruise (30 minutes)

I would think with the girls that age, they might find the boardwalk beach areas a fun place to visit.

I thought I'd jump in on this thread to solicit some advice too:

I've got two nights booked at the InterContinental at Doral this coming January prior to my cruise out of Port Everglades (I know, I know but I can get a free night at the InterContinental and even with the Uber fare from the IC to PE, it'll be cheaper than paying for two nights in the FLL area).

I won't have access to a car so I'd really be grateful for some recommendations for the following:

1. A place nearby where I can pick up some grocery-type items (e.g. a small case of pop to take with me on the cruise);

2. A couple of places nearby that would be good for dinner (for me; I'm traveling solo so it doesn't have to be family friendly);

3. If by some miracle I want to do some shopping, am I better off going to the Dolphin Mall, the Miami International Mall, or the Mall of the Americas? Or somewhere else?