Haven Access for non-Haven Guests - Thoughts?

pcakes122

53 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I remember a few years ago... 2014-15 maybe, NCL decided to offer a VIP package. It would include breakfast & lunch in Cagney's, priority embarkation .. a few other perks; the price $99 on a 7-day cruise IIRC. 

Well, let the uproar was absolutely crazy. By that I don't mean ppl were mean or nasty but just appalled that NCL would do this to those already paying top dollar for a suite.  

It didn't last long, does anyone else remember this incident?

I think it was more likely 2014 when they tried that.  It was pulled back really quickly. So was their short lived experiment to include the ‘s’ suites on Jewel class in Haven. It overcrowded the Haven and it wasn’t the product people thought they paid for.  Ncl needs to do anything they can to protect their Haven product.  It’s very easy to chase a few dollars and trash a product overnight in the process.  I totally understand a concierge making individual decisions and offers to certain non Haven customers.  By Ncl taking the decision to sell Haven access out of concierge discretion and turn into a spa pass type of sales opportunity, it shouldn’t be long for the Haven to become the Tommy Hillfinger of the cruise industry. 

• Like 2

It's all Marketing. This time next year they will probably be selling the Haven Platinum Plus package, where for only 50% more you will get the Haven deal that we had up until a week ago, but that doesn't include 5,000 of your new best friends. Winning!

Right?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mertziek said:

Taking a watch and see attitude here, too!

If you are only going watch, you might as well cancel now.  You need to take action and inform the powers that be how upset you and some of your friends are... otherwise there's nothing to expect but the more erosion of service. 

• Like 1

Just now, littlelulu01 said:

I think it was more likely 2014 when they tried that.  It was pulled back really quickly. So was their short lived experiment to include the ‘s’ suites on Jewel class in Haven. 

I think you're right. It makes sense b/c we were booked in a suite on the STar and I thought, "how can they do this when we already have to wait for a seat to dine for breakfast"? 

But if pax booked in Haven and Suites don't let their opinions known... this time they'll get away with it.  Sitting around and just watching will not make them change their policy. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

If you are only going watch, you might as well cancel now.  You need to take action and inform the powers that be how upset you and some of your friends are... otherwise there's nothing to expect but the more erosion of service. 

Oh I plan to let them know and have plenty of time to cancel!  They will hear from me often.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

Our Oct cruise on Getaway now shows this dining option.  Final payment due in 7days.  Pd. a fortune for our Haven experience, with the expectation of the same experience we have had before in the Haven.  NOT opening it up  as a Specialty Restaurant.  the Haven Bar area is quite small and intimate, there is no room for more people to lounge around for an hour or so.  what I booked has changed with no notification from NCL, .  Have never wrote a letter of complaint before, but am ready to now.   Anyone have a better address than what is listed on website. 

A better address? Yep, the travel agent channels on YouTube. We can whine all we want, but NCL doesn't care. The agents earn their living from selling travel packages. When word gets out that the Haven isn't really exclusive or whatever, and people don't see the value they will drop the Haven like a hot potato and sell something else. When the phone calls start when people get back from their cruises, and they have paid an arm and a leg for something they didn't get, the agents will be crawling all over NCL. Hit NCL where it hurts. In their pocket.

Edited by elwood_98034
Typo
  • Like 1

Just now, NW Pacific said:

Have sent emails to  vewart and ncl conciergne desk.  Called NCL to vent, but representative did not know anything about it, , she gave me the email for the concierge and encouraged me to send a msg.

Good that you're doing your job! By that I mean, trying to get the policy changed.  Venting will only work if you have made it clear what you want. No, to additional pax, non-Haven pax, dining in our EXCLUSIVE dining room. You've paid a high price for your benefits, you deserve to expect it to be what's advertised.  Let them know how you feel about his "intrusive action" they're encouraging. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mertziek said:

We have 3 upcoming cruises all in the Haven.  The one in October would be hard to cancel but not the two after.  Taking a watch and see attitude here, too!

I would bail. We are stuck with our August cruise, but after that we are done. You only rip me off once, and then I take my money elsewhere.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

I think it was more likely 2014 when they tried that.  It was pulled back really quickly. So was their short lived experiment to include the ‘s’ suites on Jewel class in Haven. It overcrowded the Haven and it wasn’t the product people thought they paid for.  Ncl needs to do anything they can to protect their Haven product.  It’s very easy to chase a few dollars and trash a product overnight in the process.  I totally understand a concierge making individual decisions and offers to certain non Haven customers.  By Ncl taking the decision to sell Haven access out of concierge discretion and turn into a spa pass type of sales opportunity, it shouldn’t be long for the Haven to become the Tommy Hillfinger of the cruise industry. 

"I'm sorry sir, the restaurant is full."

"Here's twenty bucks."

"Oh, we just had an opening. Would you like a drink while they get your table ready?"

• Like 1

I logged into my account for my September cruise. It also says it is “Complimentary for guest of Haven”. Sorry if I missed this note in the other pages. Any thoughts on whether this will now require Haven Guest to book reservations? I enjoy being able to go whenever without the structure and planning as with the other venues.

BAB1100E-BE44-4E6C-8405-97CB82EE1480.png

Edited by teeredi2cruise

The thing that gets me is if you have booked the dollar equivalent of a years college education (we have), you aren't likely to do anything stupid that might get you kicked out. If you are just there to hit the bar because the cafe was full, you will be more inclined to go for a walk around afterwards. Why wouldn't you? Check out the pool, go up on the sundeck and have a smoke, have a sleep in the Lounge. That sort of thing. What can happen? 

So, as a parent, I will now have random strangers who have been drinking, wandering around with way less incentive to behave themself than I have. Sure the other Haven guests are strangers too, but they have a LOT more to lose if they start being stupid. Plus, after a day or two we will know each other by sight, and you won't be able to vanish into the crowd if you misbehave.

When my daughter wants to go down to check out the dessert bar in the Lounge I will now want to go with her, as there will be 'strangers' drinking in the bar. If she wants to sit in the Lounge and do drawing I will want to go with her. If she heads to the Library to read a book I will need to be there as well.

Thanks NCL.

Edited by elwood_98034
typo
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 3:50 PM, perditax said:

Hmm, my dinners in the Haven restaurant on BA were absolutely nowhere near worth $100 for two people. They can keep trying to fragment their product into smaller and more exclusive bits, but the quality needs to be there.

We stay in the Haven but often eat in the other dining areas for the variety of the menu.  The Haven menu stays the same and gets old during a week long stay.  They will accommodate things not on the menu but it would be nice if the menu had more daily changes.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

The thing that gets me is if you have booked the dollar equivalent of a years college education (we have), you aren't likely to do anything stupid that might get you kicked out.

This is a dangerous and misguided assumption.  NCL doesn't do background checks on any passengers - Haven or not.  You are also assuming that what is alot of money to you is alot of money to everyone.  For some people, what they pay for the Haven is a meaningless drop in the bucket in relation to their income & assets.

While it is off-topic, I just felt the need to stress that booking the Haven doesn't in any way increase safety at sea.  Everyone should use common sense and caution when travelling no matter where they are booked.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mertziek said:

So what cruises are you on so other “creeps” can get your earlier seating that you are saying you are unwilling to be Hyper-focused on when non-Haven guests are seated before the Haven guests?  Willing to share that so we know to look for you and grab your earlier seating and you need to wait longer?

The use of creepy is the insulting remark.  

As a few have already stated here, the Breakaway and Getaway Haven lounges and restaurants are small with a large number of Haven paying guests they should be accommodating as priority customers.  Adding additional non-Haven guests will make it even more crowded. That’s not the experience we are paying for.  That’s fine if it doesn’t make a difference to you but many more Haven-paying guests will not be happy about increased delays without you having to call them creepy.  No need for insults.

I haven't called anyone creepy; I've pointed out creepy behavior that I won't participate in. Good people can do bad things.

We're on the Breakaway over Thanksgiving. And we'll happily give you our earlier seating if you'd like it. We cruise to relax, not to get upset over waiting 15 - 20 minutes in the lounge, with a drink, for dinner. 🙂 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ticatraveler said:

Checked my reservation for Breakaway June 23.  It shows this message when you go to the restaurant options.  I guess the change took effect immediately. Booked May 26 and it didn't show then.  We are in a Haven cabin that we payed full price for.

We have many reasons to cruise Haven but will have to look elsewhere if we don't feel like we are getting the value as advertised

I am on the Breakaway next week as well but am not in the Haven. No worries-I have no intention of spending $200 for my family to eat in the restaurant! 🤣 Much better dining options in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wendy&Grumpy said:

We cruise to relax, not to get upset over waiting 15 - 20 minutes in the lounge, with a drink, for dinner.

It's great that this new policy won't affect you.  I started this thread to hear everyone's opinions.  However, just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean that if anyone else IS bothered that there is something wrong with that.

For example, one of the main reasons I book the Haven is that I am disabled and use a mobility scooter.  While I do eat in specialty restaurants, I always feel like I am putting others out as I try to maneuver in those smaller spaces when they are crowded.  (Diners may have to get up to move their chairs, etc. in order to let me pass.)  I love that the Haven restaurant and lounge most times have ample room for me to navigate without inconveniencing others.  One concern I have with the new policy is that the Haven bar/lounge/restaurant area will be more populated more of the time (what NCL is hoping, I"m sure) which will impact ease of mobility for me and garner me a few eye-rolls from folks who have to move to let me get by.

So, let's try not and make assumptions about others and their motivations. 🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

I am the eternal optimist, and stupidly assume that the people I choose to associate with will behave in the same polite manner that I do. Thanks for the reminder. 

So once again:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

It's great that this new policy won't affect you.  I started this thread to hear everyone's opinions.  However, just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean that if anyone else IS bothered that there is something wrong with that........So, let's try not and make assumptions about others and their motivations. 🙂

Exactly!  It’s not “creepy” to not like this policy change.  Likewise, if others don’t mind the longer waits, I’m fine with that, too.  Let’s just acknowledge it’s ok for some to not be happy about this change without calling it “creepy” behavior or “hyper-focused” on what color Passenger card they have.

Now aren’t you glad you started this thread?  🤫🤭😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

Go figure, $12k+ down the toilet and we get to sit in our cabin and eat room service.

Sorry you are going to stress over this until your cruise and go on your cruise thinking it will be bad.  No one on here knows if this change is going to be successful or even if NCL will decide that it is not worth it to them.  FWIW, I don't think that many folks are willing to pay $100 per couple for dinner.

The Haven bar was, a few times, two deep on my December Breakaway cruise and this policy was not in effect, so depending on the time, the bar can be crowded even without this program.

• Like 1