Haven Access for non-Haven Guests - Thoughts?

pcakes122

So, I’m not a haven cruiser because the price is too high for me. I do get the idea that you paid a lot of money for this experience and shelling it out piecemeal to anyone on board cheapens that experience. But as far as over crowding. Don’t haven cruisers generally get the specialty dining package? I’ve seen many people on here asking about specialty dining when they are haven and being encouraged to eat in multiple restaurants since the haven menu doesn’t rotate. So, I don’t think it would be unreasonable or increase the crowds if one night 10 haven passengers have reservations at specialty restaurants so they then sell 10 people access to the haven restaurant that night.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

The thing that gets me is if you have booked the dollar equivalent of a years college education (we have), you aren't likely to do anything stupid that might get you kicked out. If you are just there to hit the bar because the cafe was full, you will be more inclined to go for a walk around afterwards. Why wouldn't you? Check out the pool, go up on the sundeck and have a smoke, have a sleep in the Lounge. That sort of thing. What can happen? 

So, as a parent, I will now have random strangers who have been drinking, wandering around with way less incentive to behave themself than I have. Sure the other Haven guests are strangers too, but they have a LOT more to lose if they start being stupid. Plus, after a day or two we will know each other by sight, and you won't be able to vanish into the crowd if you misbehave.

When my daughter wants to go down to check out the dessert bar in the Lounge I will now want to go with her, as there will be 'strangers' drinking in the bar. If she wants to sit in the Lounge and do drawing I will want to go with her. If she heads to the Library to read a book I will need to be there as well.

Thanks NCL.

Just a heads up, but Haven lounge doesn't have what I'd consider a dessert bar.  They do typically have gummies and m&ms there plus a couple sweet breads during the day by the pool.  It isn't like in the MSC lounges.

• Like 2

Having just gotten off the Escape and been in the Haven the Haven lounge is already crowded enough late afternoon and evening. Yea, that's what the Haven needs, more people crammed into it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Question 1 for Haven veterans (my first Haven experience is coming up end of September and I've paid a small fortune upfront for it). How do the powers that be KNOW that you are a legitimate Haven guest? I understand the concept of needing to scan your card for entry, but say you are traveling with non-Haven folks and you all go up together on the first day. The Haven person scans the card, all of the group walk in....how does anyone in the Haven area know that some are not legitimate Haven people??

Question 2 - if this non-Haven folk dining takes off, what will this mean for actual Haven people? Can we make reservations for the Haven restaurant? I had thought that we just show up whenever and get seated whenever, since it's an exclusive restaurant? If they are taking actual reservations for those willing to pay $50 then does that "trump" those of us that have "complimentary" access? If I have to reserve a specific time then I just as well go eat in Taste/Savor!

Question 3 - has anyone yet been on a sailing where this is already in place and has seen any negative consequences?

On page three Ally infers it was on Bliss last week from what I can tell.

53 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

So, I’m not a haven cruiser because the price is too high for me. I do get the idea that you paid a lot of money for this experience and shelling it out piecemeal to anyone on board cheapens that experience. But as far as over crowding. Don’t haven cruisers generally get the specialty dining package? I’ve seen many people on here asking about specialty dining when they are haven and being encouraged to eat in multiple restaurants since the haven menu doesn’t rotate. So, I don’t think it would be unreasonable or increase the crowds if one night 10 haven passengers have reservations at specialty restaurants so they then sell 10 people access to the haven restaurant that night.

That’s likely already accounted for in the space for the restaurant, along with peoples’ preferences with dining times, time spent at the lounge, etc.

54 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Just a heads up, but Haven lounge doesn't have what I'd consider a dessert bar.  They do typically have gummies and m&ms there plus a couple sweet breads during the day by the pool.  It isn't like in the MSC lounges.

The bliss horizon lounge has mini m&m, gummy bears, peanut m&m, fruits, pastries (chocolate croissants, raspberry chocolate croissant puffs, sweet biscuits with frosting drizzle) as well as a few breads/pound cakes- pistachio pound cake, walnut bread, strawberry pound cake, muffins, and yogurts a few other items that are kept refreshed next to the espresso/cappuccino machine all day.

7 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Question 1 for Haven veterans (my first Haven experience is coming up end of September and I've paid a small fortune upfront for it). How do the powers that be KNOW that you are a legitimate Haven guest? I understand the concept of needing to scan your card for entry, but say you are traveling with non-Haven folks and you all go up together on the first day. The Haven person scans the card, all of the group walk in....how does anyone in the Haven area know that some are not legitimate Haven people??

Question 2 - if this non-Haven folk dining takes off, what will this mean for actual Haven people? Can we make reservations for the Haven restaurant? I had thought that we just show up whenever and get seated whenever, since it's an exclusive restaurant? If they are taking actual reservations for those willing to pay $50 then does that "trump" those of us that have "complimentary" access? If I have to reserve a specific time then I just as well go eat in Taste/Savor!

Question 3 - has anyone yet been on a sailing where this is already in place and has seen any negative consequences?

1. There are many ways to know: they ask you for your card when you go to the restaurant, they ask for your card when you order a drink, if you ask the concierge to help with anything, they ask your room number. 

2. As a Haven guest, I would hate to have to make reservations for the Haven Restaurant. It felt like the last place on the ship that wasn’t truly freestyle- without reservations required.

3. It was implemented on our ship on June 13th. Who knows if it impacted us. But there was a wait for a table for two on Saturday night (15th). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I agree but they are taking reservations before knowing what the Haven capacity will be in the dining room. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skipper305 said:

Apparently drinks are included with the $50 deal, no mention of a beverage package required to enjoy drinks in the Haven lounge.

I serousily doubt it, that is why I suggested in another post that they make a disclaimer that drinks are not included.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skipper305 said:

Apparently drinks are included with the $50 deal, no mention of a beverage package required to enjoy drinks in the Haven lounge.

There's no way. It doesn't say or even imply that those drinks are free. You either pay per drink, or if you have a beverage package, that will cover.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

So now you can pick up a cheap inside, spend the day in the vibe and evening in the Haven.

What's the problem with someone getting passes to the Vibe?  Are they off limits for people not in the Haven?   As for the dinner at the Haven it's at the discretion of the Concierge and I highly doubt someone will pay 100 per night to eat there.  I doubt they let many reserve as they know the battle they're in for from the Haven guest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thistimeplease said:

What's the problem with someone getting passes to the Vibe?  Are they off limits for people not in the Haven?

They certainly are not and I never said they were? Good story though!

Just stating I can book a cheap inside and enjoy the luxury of the vibe and haven on a budget.

• Haha 1

Just going by what I'm reading, but I think you can only pay for the Haven for 1 stay if you're not in the Haven already.  That means, you're there for a couple of hours and get dinner.  If you don't have the drink package, you're paying to drink there, too.

Plus, they're limiting those people who can pay to play in the Haven.

So, for two, you're paying $100 for dinner and a "look-see" into the Haven for a few hours, one time.  Worth it?  I dunno.  I guess is someone is willing to pay $418 for two in the VIBE, someone might be willing to pay $100 to eat in what amounts to a specialty restaurant and hang out in the Haven pool and bar area for a few hours.

To me, save your money and buy the specialty dining package.  You'll get more varied food and probably have as good a time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

They certainly are not and I never said they were? Good story though!

Just stating I can book a cheap inside and enjoy the luxury of the vibe and haven on a budget.

I guess if you think 100 per night for dinner and the Vibe are a bargain you're right. 

You can rent an amazing house for one week in Palm Springs for half the price of a Haven Cruise. Lots of options for that Haven money.

One advantage of booking early is you can always back out if the product you signed up for is changed.

• Like 1

I can vouch for the concierges knowing the Haven passengers by sight.  Way back when it was new, I guess, the elevator button still said "Climbing Wall" when it was actually the Haven.  There was a concierge on the elevator with us, I guess, and he quickly told us we couldn't go to that floor.  First thought?  Change the darn elevator button.

And on our last cruise we were offered a tour of the Haven at the Platinum Officer's Dinner.  We declined.

• Like 1

I believe this option is for Haven guests that book the "connecting room" categories on the newer ships (Bliss, Escape).  It gives them the opportunity to have their kids/guests have dinner with them in the Haven Restaurant if they desire.  I don't think they're going to let folks that are not traveling with Haven guests in some capacity take advantage of this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just going by what I'm reading, but I think you can only pay for the Haven for 1 stay if you're not in the Haven already.  That means, you're there for a couple of hours and get dinner.  If you don't have the drink package, you're paying to drink there, too.

Plus, they're limiting those people who can pay to play in the Haven.

So, for two, you're paying $100 for dinner and a "look-see" into the Haven for a few hours, one time.  Worth it?  I dunno.  I guess is someone is willing to pay $418 for two in the VIBE, someone might be willing to pay $100 to eat in what amounts to a specialty restaurant and hang out in the Haven pool and bar area for a few hours.

To me, save your money and buy the specialty dining package.  You'll get more varied food and probably have as good a time.

Not the pool area, just the bar/restaurant. 

5 minutes ago, Lupush said:

I believe this option is for Haven guests that book the "connecting room" categories on the newer ships (Bliss, Escape).  It gives them the opportunity to have their kids/guests have dinner with them in the Haven Restaurant if they desire.  I don't think they're going to let folks that are not traveling with Haven guests in some capacity take advantage of this.

No, this offer is for all passengers - there is no requirement to have a connection to an existing Haven guest.  If you read through the thread you will see that not only is it online, but it was confirmed with the Haven staff by a poster who was on the Bliss.  The offer was launched June 13th.

1 minute ago, pcakes122 said:

No, this offer is for all passengers - there is no requirement to have a connection to an existing Haven guest.  If you read through the thread you will see that not only is it online, but it was confirmed with the Haven staff by a poster who was on the Bliss.  The offer was launched June 13th.

I see now.  Thanks for the clarification.

17 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

Not the pool area, just the bar/restaurant. 

OK...now, that makes a 2-3 hour stay in the Haven even less desirable for $100.  

Conciege's do know the passengers.  And, I'm guessing they won't be doing any reservations or special seatings for restaurants and/or shows.

Not sure this is going to be what people actually think it is if they can get it.

• Like 1

I'm reading they're only opening this up for guests of the Haven.  Which I take it to mean people who someone from the Haven is inviting in, and not just anyone on board the ship.  Am I misunderstanding here?

I can't imagine they'll be selling too many of these if its just for those who know someone on the inside.  I actually think I would like this as a potential perk for my family to get my parents to cruise on NCL down the line.  They hate these big ships and like the exclusivity of other lines like Azamara, Oceania, river cruises, etc.  But with us having a little one (year and a half), I know they'll want to go on another cruise with us in the coming years, so if this is possible, I can sell them NCL to have fun with the kid while still having the exclusivity of the Haven.  And they'll be able to invite us all in for a dinner or two in their exclusive area to show off (because, its what they do) and it'll meet all of our demands.

2 minutes ago, Beardface said:

I'm reading they're only opening this up for guests of the Haven.  Which I take it to mean people who someone from the Haven is inviting in, and not just anyone on board the ship.  Am I misunderstanding here?

Yes, you are misunderstanding.  The offer is not limited to those who have a connection to a Haven guest.