Dominican Republic Port Still In NCL's Itineraries?

dongordon

Just wondering if NCL is concerned about the recent tourist deaths in the hotel in the Dominican Republic and the recent shooting of David Ortiz.

Is it still considered a safe port of call?

Have they changed any itineraries yet? 

11 hours ago, dongordon said:

Just wondering if NCL is concerned about the recent tourist deaths in the hotel in the Dominican Republic and the recent shooting of David Ortiz.

Is it still considered a safe port of call?

Have they changed any itineraries yet? 

I would never have considered it particularly safe and it is one of those ports where you are better of touring with a group, but it is a beautiful island well worth visiting and remember Chicago has a lot of shootings every weekend but people still tour the city. 

• Like 1

What DR port does NCL sail to? I know they used to go to Samana but that was years ago.

BTW asking whether the DR is a safe port is sort of like asking if the US is a safe port? Better to ask about a specific stop instead of the country as a whole.

Edited by zqvol

21 minutes ago, Lupush said:

I didn't even know NCL sailed to DR.  

9 minutes ago, zqvol said:

What DR port does NCL sail to? I know they used to go to Samana but that was years ago.

BTW asking whether the DR is a safe port is sort of like asking if the US is a safe port? Better to ask about a specific stop instead of the country as a whole.

In 2021 the 7 day Eastern Caribbean Itineraries include Puerto Plata DR.  I don't know when they officially start cruising there.

Edited by RedwingHockeyFan
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 12:36 PM, RedwingHockeyFan said:

In 2021 the 7 day Eastern Caribbean Itineraries include Puerto Plata DR.  I don't know when they officially start cruising there.

If you are a baseball fan it is a great stop in the winter.  Big Papi was an accidental shooting, they wanted to kill his friend.  Nothing nefarious has been linked to the other tourist deaths.

I would not be concerned taking a cruise to Puerto Plata.  The deaths have all occurred at resorts near Punta Cana, which is on the opposite side of the island.  If in doubt, don't eat or drink while off the ship.  I'm sure by the time Norwegian starts sailing there this will probably blow over.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, zqvol said:

I don't think they are sailing there at this time. There was a port, for a short period of time maybe 10 years ago, It was Samana. I would somewhat differ from you when you say, asking about DR is like asking about sailing to a port say in USA: I say this because dR has never and still isn't very safe regardless of what port It is a beautiful island but has many, many problems. This has never stopped us from visiting but we do it knowing we need to be super careful.