Swelling feet

Tablelamp

I have the same problem cruising and put it down to the change in lifestyle too, spending more time with feet down  - sitting at mealtimes, lounge, bar, theatre, coach trips, waiting times, standing queuing and so on. Much more stationery feet-down time than I’d normally do at work and home. So I just try and walk a lot, get my feet up as much as possible during the day, raised end of bed at night and hide my puffy ankles under trousers. Once home, feet are back to normal in a few days. Hubby totally unaffected by the problem, so it’d be interesting to know if more women are affected than men - whether it’s a physiological thing?

The only time I had this was on a Celebrity Cruise where the food was salty and I had more of the ship's water than normal.

By the time I got home my legs were swollen too - they were like tree trunks!

Since then I have avoided the ship's water, always had bottled water with my meal and in the cabin.

Have also tried to avoid having too much salt as much as I can.

I used to take some water retention tablets you can get from Boots, ( a herbal remedy) but I have not needed them. juts know that they exist

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, terrierjohn said:

If that was true then everyone would suffer since all the water in the dining rooms is made on board the ship.

For some reason I 'liked' this and was meant to press 'quote'. Just ignore me ;-)

Are you saying that even the bottled water they sell is the same stuff as comes through  your tap?

I am confused as that sounds like something that Del Boy would do ...

Edited by Presto2

There has been many differing reasons that cause swollen feet onboard cruises over the years and there are many different reasons that can cause this on the internet depending where you look and I suppose everybody has there own reasons. Even doctors have different views of causes so dont really think there is one definitive answer that can apply to everyone as the cause.

11 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

For some reason I 'liked' this and was meant to press 'quote'. Just ignore me 😉

Are you saying that even the bottled water they sell is the same stuff as comes through  your tap?

No just the water served to you in the mdr and from the dispensers in the buffet, and the ice in your drinks . However I suspect that quite a lot of the cheaper brands of bottled water are plain tap water, but if you want to pay for something that is normally free then of course that is your choice.

Edited by terrierjohn

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

No just the water served to you in the mdr and from the dispensers in the buffet, and the ice in your drinks . However I suspect that quite a lot of the cheaper brands of bottled water are plain tap water, but if you want to pay for something that is normally free then of course that is your choice.

Thanks for the clarification.

Just to clarify for the O.P. we always buy the pack of 6 1.5 litre bottles that P&O sell and are available in your cabin. When we get off we always buy some on land too  - that is usually much cheaper if you are happy with bog standard cheap bottled water. Have never had a problem with swollen legs / feet since and no tummy upsets so will stick with it.

Must say I drink the water in the MDR and also from the machines.  We boil the water in our kettle in the cabin and let that cook to take ashore.  Never had swollen ankles, but if you are prone to , you have 3 things working against you.  Salt in the food, alcohol and aircon.

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Must say I drink the water in the MDR and also from the machines.  We boil the water in our kettle in the cabin and let that cook to take ashore.  Never had swollen ankles, but if you are prone to , you have 3 things working against you.  Salt in the food, alcohol and aircon.

Hi, just to add that I have never before or since had swollen feet or legs in any hotel or ship. I really do think it was the water for me. Never affected hubby but we are all different. E.g. The air con never affects us, but it gives others a cough.

I think it is helpful for the OP to know what affects others just incase it is the trigger for them. :-)

7 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, just to add that I have never before or since had swollen feet or legs in any hotel or ship. I really do think it was the water for me. Never affected hubby but we are all different. E.g. The air con never affects us, but it gives others a cough.

I think it is helpful for the OP to know what affects others just incase it is the trigger for them. 🙂

Yes. I echo this.   Certainly our experience as noted in my earlier post 

20 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I think it is helpful for the OP to know what affects others just incase it is the trigger for them. 🙂

I too have only ever had this problem on ships.

Even though I couldn’t find any scientific evidence to support it I decided to see if avoiding the ship tap water helped and sure enough the swelling completely went away. I don’t think I changed anything else which could explain the dramatic improvement. Indeed nowadays I increasingly rely on a powered wheelchair to get around the ship so am less mobile which should in theory increase my risk of odema.

So not sure why it worked but it did so I shall be sticking with it.

Julia

• Like 1

On 22 June 2019 at 11:58 AM, Presto2 said:

For some reason I 'liked' this and was meant to press 'quote'. Just ignore me ;-)

Yes, it's all the same, Peckham Spring...😀

Andy

• Like 1