I think I was smart to pass on the upgrade...maybe?

reeinaz

I'm booked on the Valor for a 5 day western Caribbean in December. I have a no longer French door interior cabin and received an upgrade offer for a balcony. The upgrade price would bring my cost to about $90 less than booking a balcony outright. Then I looked at the deck plan and the upgrade room is under the lido deck's buffet area. There was no option to select a different room. I'd be better off sticking with my room on the Riviera deck right?

I think you chose well.  You still have natural light, and a couch (I think).  But you won't have people stomping around over you. If you upgrade and the noise gets to be too much, you may want to spend more time out of the room and not get to enjoy your balcony.

Me personally would get the balcony.

It is an extension of your cabin.

I spend alot of time out there.

Wifey is getting ready, I am  out there having a cocktail or 4.

Wake up early walk out and get fresh air.

Room Service Coffee early on the balcony.

Pulling in Port on the Balcony,

Leaving Port on the Balcony.

read a book on the balcony.

No seats on deck. Always a seat on my balcony.

In the cabin, Sleep and Shower.

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 4

The Valor never had french door cabins.  The only ship with formerly french door cabins doing Western Caribbean cruises in December 2019 is the Legend.  The Legend is doing 7 day cruises.

Edited by Tiger0613
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Holy cow, we must have been seperated at birth.

1 hour ago, thesmiths said:

I am in agreeance.  I have only been on 1 cruise without a balcony and I hated it.  Hated not having natural light.  Hated not being able to have my morning coffee out there.  Hated not being able to just look at the ocean when in the room.  Hated not being in my own personal space for sail off and docking.  I supposed I could survive with a port hole, but I HATED the interior.  To me the money savings was not worth it.  I would totaly upgrade.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tiger0613 said:

The Valor never had french door cabins.  The only ship with formerly french door cabins doing Western Caribbean cruises in December 2019 is the Legend.  The Legend is doing 7 day cruises.

Getting my trips mixed up. I have an OV on the Valor. I'm on the Legend with the former French doors in May 2020. The upgrade was for the Valor.

1 hour ago, thesmiths said:

And I forgot to add I love the balcony so much, I have to book an Aft Wrap or I am not booking.

I spoiled myself.

It's the location of the cabin, the deck below the Lido deck, that is more of my concern than the price. I was ready to go for it until I saw the location. Would the noise be that bad? It would be under the buffet area, not the pool. I'm not a particularly light sleeper and I have no issues going back to sleep if I'm awakened.

2 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

It's the location of the cabin, the deck below the Lido deck, that is more of my concern than the price. I was ready to go for it until I saw the location. Would the noise be that bad? It would be under the buffet area, not the pool. I'm not a particularly light sleeper and I have no issues going back to sleep if I'm awakened.

Personally I would think that unless you sleep really late, the early traffic through the buffet wouldn't be that bad.  I think on our last cruise my son and his friends were in a cabin under the Lido seating area and he didn't complain about noise at all...and they slept late.  But not everyone thinks the same and you need to determine the cost vs reward.  I know in all the cabins I've ever been on the only noise I've gotten in the stateroom is hallway noise and noise from adjoining balconies (but this is rare).

3 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

The buffet isn't open all night, and breakfast doesn't start until 6:30. The other times, it should be fairly quiet. It won't be masses trampling through like those that eat at lido for breakfast or lunch.

28 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

Getting my trips mixed up. I have an OV on the Valor. I'm on the Legend with the former French doors in May 2020. The upgrade was for the Valor.

Which sailing on the Valor?  If you are on the Christmas or New Year's sailing, then $240 seems like a good price.  The Lido buffet tends to be pretty dead at night.

Edited by Tiger0613

Thanks a bunch. I decided to go ahead and upgrade and oddly enough, this time it gave me choices (it didn't when the offer first appeared last night). So I got a balcony on the empress deck for $250 more.

• Like 2

In both my previous cabins on deck 8 under Lido, the only time I heard noise was the staff rolling the dish carts across the floors to the buffet.  It sounds like thunder in the distance, but was only a problem if you’re directly under the buffet.  The first cabin was under the carpeted dining area and it was perfectly fine.  I’ve only sailed balcony cabins, and I love reading at night and hearing the ocean, getting a first peek at the port in my pajamas, and sitting there during sail away after am excursion and a long, hot shower.  I don’t know if I could sail without a balcony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reeinaz said:

Thanks a bunch. I decided to go ahead and upgrade and oddly enough, this time it gave me choices (it didn't when the offer first appeared last night). So I got a balcony on the empress deck for $250 more.

Good for you!

Your UpSell ( called an UpGrade) is a nice choice in a few ways.

But Rolling Cart THUNDER shoul be dealt with in any New and/or Reconstruction as it is LOUD..

They could put Rubber wheels on the Thunder Carts too. But do not.

If they added that Sound Proofing they could charge more for thaose cabins.. as Closer to the SLOOP Line LIDo..

• Haha 1