How does Chops Grill work ?

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

The best way to try more than one entrée is to order "with" your dining companion.    

I am totally full after an appetizer, salad and entrée.  But if you want extra appetizers, soup, salad, and dessert, go for it.

If I try his and I like it, he may not give up the rest!!   LOL😂

We have never done a specialty restaurant on Royal.  This cruise we have a free dinner for 4 as one of our perks with our agent.  We've been back and forth.  DS says steak isn't worth it because he can have steak every night in the MDR (he usually does!) - he wants to try Italian - but given the mixed reviews I've read here about Jamie's (and who knows if it will still be on Symphony when we sail). …. I'm leaning towards CHOPS.

{that picture posted above was extremely convincing!}

Edited by Queen of Oakville

7 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

We have never done a specialty restaurant on Royal.  This cruise we have a free dinner for 4 as one of our perks with our agent.  We've been back and forth.  DS says steak isn't worth it because he can have steak every night in the MDR (he usually does!) - he wants to try Italian - but given the mixed reviews I've read here about Jamie's (and who knows if it will still be on Symphony when we sail). …. I'm leaning towards CHOPS.

The steak in the MDR and the steak in Chops is like Golden Corral versus Ruth's Chris.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 5:42 PM, SRF said:

The steak in the MDR and the steak in Chops is like Golden Corral versus Ruth's Chris.

I don't know what Golden Corral is but it doesn't sound good 🙄

I'd expect the steak at chops to be a premium quality.  My son typically only eats steak in the MDR except for the nights he eats prime rib.  I think he was more looking for the opportunity to eat something different that he would like (yes, I know there is variety in the MDR - but it generally doesn't appeal to him).  

That being said, I think we're going to chops 😄

On 6/21/2019 at 5:42 PM, SRF said:

Just off Adventure OTS last month. Ate in Chops 3x on B2B. Had filet and rib eye. Both were excellent. Never order steak in MDR. Tried rib eye in Geovany 1 night excellent,  next time they could not cook a medium rare. Tried 2x to no avail. Had a fillet in Chief Table, excellent. 

1 minute ago, Annicruise2014 said:

Is it best to make a reservation BEFORE  the cruise in the cruise planner?  Or if I wait until we board, will I still be able to make a reservation?

If you are not flexible in your schedule, then it's best to pay full price and book pre-cruise.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:52 PM, cruisingator2 said:

Can’t imagine anyone needing a “second “ main course.🙂

just visit the MDR and see it for yourself some/.most people ask for 2 courses ( I do)

Edited by mcatmcat

3 minutes ago, Annicruise2014 said:

I

If I am flexible, is it cheaper on the ship than pre purchasing?

Ship prices are unfortunately not predictable.  There's no guarantee that any dining package will be available onboard, and they may only offer restaurants at full price. 

One good thing (until they change it) is that Royal does not add 18% to dining package purchases pre-cruise, whereas they do add the 18% to dining purchases onboard.