Drink package not offering what I was told. Would you gripe?

Stockjock

Recently returned from a week on Bellissima and had a nice time.  We had purchased the now retired 431 Classic Drink Package.  I had been told it covered any wine up to $9 per glass.

But once onboard, they said it only covered wine up to 5 Euro per glass, and those wines were generally mediocre or worse.  I got into a polite argument with the staff as this contradicted what I had been told.  They showed me a paper stating that only the absolute cheapest wines were covered (higher coverage on cocktails).

However, I just found this attachment which shows that what I had previously been told is or was correct.  We apparently should have received wine up to $9 per glass, which I'm sure would have been more drinkable.

We have 2 future MSC cruises booked, one out of Miami this year and another out of Paris next year.  I did gripe about a few other issues, such as an electrical failure in the room, and they sent me a certificate for 15% off a Mediterranean cruise within 2 years.  I doubt we'll do that, although maybe they'll apply it to the Northern European cruise out of Paris (but probably not).  So that certificate may end up being useless.

If you were in my shoes, would you complain about not getting what you were told with respect to the drink package we had on Bellissima?  Or would you let it go?

1427788328_DrinkPackageCodes.pdf

The description of the Classic package on that PDF refers to US sailings (hence the $ price).  Classic is more expensive for US sailings and covers more than in Europe (where Classic is cheaper, but the offerings are more limited).  The crew were correct - only the very cheap wines are covered in Classic when the currency onboard is Euros - it has nothing to do with the new drinks packages;  that was always the case.

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

We have 2 future MSC cruises booked, one out of Miami this year and another out of Paris next year.

Are MSC getting into the River Cruise business?🍻🥨🍻

39 minutes ago, GazZebo said:

they have done their own exchange rate from euro to dollar for them 9$ = 5€ even though its nearer 6$ for the rest of us

It has nothing to do with currency exchange rates!  The Classic package is cheaper on ships where the currency onboard is Euros - even for those booking from the US.

I agree with Bea, that paper is for US sailings and states it's for the Classic package.  Someone wrote the Classic code 534 and the All Inclusive R&B package 431 for that same description because they are the most similar when trying to make a comparison using that paper's limited choices, but that is inaccurate in a few ways.  That paper is trying to show the differences between the US old and new packages, someone added the European package codes to it.  Unfortunately from my last sailings I've noticed crew often do stuff like this because it's too difficult to explain the differences and MSC really doesn't publish a fully comprehensive listing of all the differences between those two packages.  On my last sailing I had the Deluxe package and they kept telling me I had the Premium Plus, I'd say no but they would just say they are the same thing.  I didn't get the JW Blue though.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the issue here Stockjock as Bea and Ate have mentioned, is that you've been given incorrect information as to what the package includes, and the crew have actually acted correctly. Appreciate it's disappointing when you expect something different though

I used to upgrade to the Deluxe mainly because of the poor wine selections.  However, I did stick with the R&B package on one of our cruises and the wine was fine - not great, but I got by.

However, apart from the included wines for the 'Easy' package, I noticed that a lot of other drinks on the Euros menu are just over the €6 limit by amounts like 20c!  🙄

Edited by Beamafar

Bea ... That to me 20 cents shows petty mindedness on behalf of whoever dreampt up the drink package shambles. I was checking our booking details earlier from the travel agent and the 534 to 536 was still just £6 pp pd, Premium to Plus is around £17 pp pd!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidari said:

Bea ... That to me 20 cents shows petty mindedness on behalf of whoever dreampt up the drink package shambles. I was checking our booking details earlier from the travel agent and the 534 to 536 was still just £6 pp pd, Premium to Plus is around £17 pp pd!

Trying to figure out if it's worth it to upgrade the Premium package in YC to Premium+. I'd only consider it if champagne by the glass were included. Someday I'll figure out why if you're in Aurea and buy Premium, you don't get the mini bar or the 30% off bottles of wine and champagne, but if you have Yacht Club (which comes with Premium), you DO get those things. And yet you STILL have to pay extra for Premium+ in YC. 😕

The mini-bar was included for YC before the introduction of an included drinks package for use around the rest of the ship, so it's not linked to drinks packages.

You don't get 30% off bottles of wine when in YC (unless you have the Prem+ package).

We've upgraded to Prem+ for our next 2 YC outings and are looking forward to enjoying Veuve Cliquot and Moet & Chandon (not to mention some of the items on the Connoisseurs' Selection list).

Dave ... we're only paying €14 to upgrade and, IIRC, Mark (Cruisers6) is paying £13 to upgrade.  That's for our US sailing.

For our Med sailing, we're being charged €16 - the difference in cost between the packages when on Euros cruises (€55 - €39).

Edited by Beamafar

46 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Trying to figure out if it's worth it to upgrade the Premium package in YC to Premium+. I'd only consider it if champagne by the glass were included. Someday I'll figure out why if you're in Aurea and buy Premium, you don't get the mini bar or the 30% off bottles of wine and champagne, but if you have Yacht Club (which comes with Premium), you DO get those things. And yet you STILL have to pay extra for Premium+ in YC. 😕

Yacht Club doesn't come with the true premium package, it's a bit of a mish mash and hybrid... in the UK we can't upgrade it 😞

On our recent cruise we had the now retired 431 AIB&R package and we had the same choice of standard 2 red, 2 white, 2 sparkling & 1 rose as we did prior to the drink package changes.

When I booked our YC sailing, the agent was at great pains to point out YC does not come with a specific drinks package.

I couldn't agree more about the Easy package limitation and all of those drinks priced 20c or 50c above. I can understand making it more limited but it's been excessively reduced imo.

19 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The mini-bar was included for YC before the introduction of an included drinks package for use around the rest of the ship, so it's not linked to drinks packages.

You don't get 30% off bottles of wine when in YC (unless you have the Prem+ package).

We've upgraded to Prem+ for our next 2 YC outings and are looking forward to enjoying Veuve Cliquot and Moet & Chandon (not to mention some of the items on the Connoisseurs' Selection list).

Dave ... we're only paying €14 to upgrade and, IIRC, Mark (Cruisers6) is paying £13 to upgrade.

What's the price to upgrade to P+? Seems to me it was like $17 pppd. I was reading a website called Reasons to Cruise and the author mentioned that YC passengers did receive the Premium Plus package. I asked for clarification and he said that MSC UK's latest brochure updated the language to say that's it's just a selection of beverages in all bars and restaurants, so not specific anymore. The famous MSC ambiguity continues. 😄I'd simply like to know sometime before we sail whether the drinks we're likely to want are going to be included or not. If not, I want the opportunity to upgrade before we set sail and have to pay gratuity on top of the drink prices. I think I'll contact our travel agent and see if he can get an answer from his MSC contact. 

Edited by DCGuy64
adding info about contacting TA

It is $17 for US sailings (it's $15 for other sailings as the packages are cheaper):

564803830_PricesofdrinkspackagesinUS.png.acabe9830842d8c1ffbe2583b4ad800b.png

The only drinks not included for YC are on the Connoisseurs' Selection page of the bar menus and those items with prices next to them on the YC menu.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

It is $17 for US sailings (it's $15 for other sailings as the packages are cheaper):

564803830_PricesofdrinkspackagesinUS.png.acabe9830842d8c1ffbe2583b4ad800b.png

The only drinks not included for YC are on the Connoisseurs' Selection page of the bar menus and those items with prices next to them on the YC menu.

Thanks, I'd love to see the actual YC bar menu. When we were on the Seaside last year, our Premium+ package covered not just the usual good stuff, it included everything that was available in a package, i.e. the only things we didn't get were things not included in any package. So before I go and pay the extra charge, I want to make sure it's worth it. For example, if the bar offers Moet & Chandon by the glass for $17 and the Premium package is only drinks up to $12 but getting Premium+ gets you anything by the glass, it'd be worth it to upgrade. Same thing with the 30% discount on bottles, that's only available with Premium+. 

23 minutes ago, 1fifthavenue said:

Yacht Club doesn't come with the true premium package, it's a bit of a mish mash and hybrid... in the UK we can't upgrade it 😞

Yes, you can, Tim.

On the subject of what's included for YC, I started a thread on the very subject where it was discussed in length:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2652145-what-drinks-package-is-included-in-yc/?tab=comments#comment-57200312

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Yes, you can, Tim.

On the subject of what's included for YC, I started a thread on the very subject where it was discussed in length:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2652145-what-drinks-package-is-included-in-yc/?tab=comments#comment-57200312

7212DFCE-0816-498E-BD43-AC442FA607BA.jpe

This is what I was looking for, and thank you, Bea, for including the link to your previous posts about this. This menu is what I was talking about. I'd be happy paying the extra $17 pppd to have these sorts of wines included. I can't remember offhand which ship this is for, and the selections might change based on the ship and the itinerary, but I'd gladly hand over more $ to get premium wine selections like these. 

Edited by DCGuy64
Wanted to add my actual message
  • Thanks 1

They're what's on offer for Med cruises.  The list may differ for US ones.

Those champagnes will also be available by the glass at the Champagne Bar for those with the Prem+ package.

Here's the Connoisseurs' Selection (for those with Prem+) and the Premium Selection:

image.thumb.png.930f47468d38b6f9d8847c2a800df9c1.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

They're what's on offer for Med cruises.  The list may differ for US ones.

Those champagnes will also be available by the glass at the Champagne Bar for those with the Pre
m+ package.

Here's the Connoisseurs' Selection (for those with Prem+) and the Premium Selection:

image.thumb.png.930f47468d38b6f9d8847c2a800df9c1.png

"Those champagnes will also be available by the glass at the Champagne Bar for those with the Prem+ package."

I think I have my answer. 😊

I re-read your excellent thread with pictures and there seemed to be only one included champagne, the Nicolas Feuillatte. (only 1 champagne, talk about 1st world problems!) Cheers, Bea!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

This is what I was looking for, and thank you, Bea, for including the link to your previous posts about this. This menu is what I was talking about. I'd be happy paying the extra $17 pppd to have these sorts of wines included. I can't remember offhand which ship this is for, and the selections might change based on the ship and the itinerary, but I'd gladly hand over more $ to get premium wine selections like these. 

That's the reason why we decided to upgrade - just one glass of VC or M&G as an aperitif at dinner and one glass of Remy Martin XO after dinner and we're already quids in!   😜  And that's before enjoying some of the better wines both at lunch and dinner!   😂 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

That's the reason why we decided to upgrade - just one glass of VC or M&G as an aperitif at dinner and one glass of Remy Martin XO after dinner and we're already quids in!   😜  And that's before enjoying some of the better wines both at lunch and dinner!   😂 😂

HAHA! 😄 BTW just called MSC customer service and waited, I'm not kidding here, 5 seconds on hold before someone answered. FIVE SECONDS. Anyway, she told me that everything is included in Yacht Club, and that in the Champagne Bar it depends, but that we should ask the concierge when we get on board. Anyway, just thought I'd share.