Singles on Viking Ocean

What was that?

I am convinced I saw information somewhere that VO does not charge the "single supplement" for solo travelers, but I can't find it now. Does anyone have this information, or an experience traveling solo to confirm it? A single friend is interested in taking the cruise we booked - Viking Venus Iberian Explorer and In Search of the Northern Lights starting 26 January 2021 - and I am trying to assemble the needed information.

2 hours ago, What was that? said:

I am convinced I saw information somewhere that VO does not charge the "single supplement" for solo travelers, but I can't find it now. Does anyone have this information, or an experience traveling solo to confirm it? A single friend is interested in taking the cruise we booked - Viking Venus Iberian Explorer and In Search of the Northern Lights starting 26 January 2021 - and I am trying to assemble the needed information.

Viking DOES charge a single supplement.

The Viking "Single Supplement" is another full fare.  Yes, 100%.  Double!  On the cruise and on pre- and post-extensions.  And you pay for two air fares but only get one economy seat and one baggage allowance.  Apart from having a cabin to yourself, there are no other "benefits" from paying twice.  I don't know whether the "auto-gratuities" is doubled up, or whether the singleton is expected to do so, despite (presumably) only one bed to make up!  To claw back some money's-worth entails serious eating each and every day (six meals a day to break even), and trying convince the excursions team that you have paid to join all included tours twice.  Your ghostly cabin companion should also contribute to the ship's bar revenues, but may have the "free" drinks at lunch(es) and dinner(s).   So, going singleton requires a visit to the Bank Manager first.

Doubling the extensions prices is totally unjustifiable, as these prices include tours (for two persons,  not just one), hotels (which will be room rate, not per person) and meals (can you eat two breakfasts?).  This must be a nice little earner for Viking.  The only justifications for not organising the extensions yourself would be a fear for self-transfers, . . . . or a lottery win.  Bear in mind that extension days include transfers to/from airport/ship.  A three day extension will have only one full day of tours; the first and last will be governed by your travel times and so may not have much value, at double cost.

So, going singleton means you pay for lots and lots that you don't get.  Better to find a friend!

Ouch! Ouch!

Yes and don't find a friend who cancels at the last minute because that is cancelling the entire cabin under Viking terms and conditions, leaving your travel buddy high and dry or forced to pay the single supplement before being permitted to board.

14 hours ago, What was that? said:

I believe there is a current promotion for not charging the single supplement, but I don’t have the details. I suggest you contact your travel agent.

Well, that is all over the lot! I will have to ask our TA to clarify.

Thanks to all for expanding my consciousness!

Please come back and let us know what you find out from your travel agent. Thanks.

I did receive confirmation from Viking (and my CC/TA) that the single supplement is 100%. Sorry that I delayed my response - I'm blaming my house-guests for the delay!

While I am disappointed at such a policy, I am rather annoyed that it is so difficult to get authoritative information on this question, AND that they are so circumspect in the way they word their responses.

NOTE TO VIKING: IF THE SINGLES SURCHARGE IS 100%, SAY SO; DON'T PUSSYFOOT AROUND. ALTERNATIVELY, SELL THESE CRUISES BY THE PER CABIN FARE (which is what you are really doing) - AND CONSIDER GIVING A "DISCOUNT" FOR SINGLES (who will eat and use on-board amenities less).

That should about do it until they make a change...

• Like 1

I've lived alone for so long that I can't even have a one-night, overnight guest stay in my home. I love to cruise alone, and only cruised once with another person out of my 15 or so cruises. So I've learned if it's an itinerary or specific ship or line I want to book to just suck-up the double occupancy rate. I've been lucky a few times to find some lower solo fares on Windstar (at one time anyway) and Azamara. Neither one I care to cruise with again.

I know Crystal and Silversea sometimes have decent solo fares but I haven't tried either of those yet. I really want to try a Viking Ocean so I guess it will have to be one of those suck-up occasions. I'm just a tiny bit surprised they don't offer even a 25% reduction on slower selling cruises. I've checked right up to a month prior to sail date. 

1 hour ago, Zoey said:

I know Crystal and Silversea sometimes have decent solo fares but I haven't tried either of those yet. I really want to try a Viking Ocean so I guess it will have to be one of those suck-up occasions. I'm just a tiny bit surprised they don't offer even a 25% reduction on slower selling cruises. I've checked right up to a month prior to sail date. 

It our opinion Crystal is miles above Viking in food, service and enrichment. There were many singles on all of our Crystal cruises and very few on Viking.

Enjoy whichever  line you book.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:13 PM, Rawmac said:

The Viking "Single Supplement" is another full fare.  Yes, 100%.  Double!  On the cruise and on pre- and post-extensions.  And you pay for two air fares but only get one economy seat and one baggage allowance.  Apart from having a cabin to yourself, there are no other "benefits" from paying twice.  I don't know whether the "auto-gratuities" is doubled up, or whether the singleton is expected to do so, despite (presumably) only one bed to make up!  To claw back some money's-worth entails serious eating each and every day (six meals a day to break even), and trying convince the excursions team that you have paid to join all included tours twice.  Your ghostly cabin companion should also contribute to the ship's bar revenues, but may have the "free" drinks at lunch(es) and dinner(s).   So, going singleton requires a visit to the Bank Manager first.

Doubling the extensions prices is totally unjustifiable, as these prices include tours (for two persons,  not just one), hotels (which will be room rate, not per person) and meals (can you eat two breakfasts?).  This must be a nice little earner for Viking.  The only justifications for not organising the extensions yourself would be a fear for self-transfers, . . . . or a lottery win.  Bear in mind that extension days include transfers to/from airport/ship.  A three day extension will have only one full day of tours; the first and last will be governed by your travel times and so may not have much value, at double cost.

So, going singleton means you pay for lots and lots that you don't get.  Better to find a friend!

Well, Rawmac, based on your comments, I have cancelled the second half of a B2B. I travel solo all the time, and rather than share, suck up the single supplement, often 100%. Yes, I only eat for one, but I am taking up the space that they could fill with 2 people, so until the cruise lines get smart and start building single cabins, this is the reality. I am not using Viking Air, so can't comment on their policy, but I have been quoted gratuities and beverage package for one person only. And I did compare doing independently the pre-cruise package and chose Viking's offer. Maybe I can drink for two the nips supplied in the suite 😁.  

23 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Maybe I can drink for two the nips supplied in the suite 😁.  

Pre and post ship inclusions are mostly rip-offs and do not include hotel mini fridge contents.

you may enjoy but also have big extra hotel bill......

1 hour ago, orchestrapal said:

Pre and post ship inclusions are mostly rip-offs and do not include hotel mini fridge contents.

you may enjoy but also have big extra hotel bill......

I was referring to the liquor nips provided in  my Viking suite.