Beginner Scuba

FMZ

All Discover Scuba in Cozumel will be done from shore, and there isn't much coral along the shore in Cozumel, but there is coral rubble, items placed in the shallows to see,  and some fish life.  All companies will do basically the same thing, Chankanaab might be a good choice as once you are done you have the facilities to enjoy plus if you have family with you, they can hang out there while you do the class.  

We watch some discover scubas at Chankanaab once when we were there...they also have some statues in the water that the scuba divers were at.

Since we weren't doing any Discover Scuba diving back then, I'm not sure where they take you to (or if it's even out of that roped off area) but all I could see snorkeling was a lot of rocks and fish around the edges where you go in. Most of the area seemed to be a sandy bottom from what I could tell from above. 

IMG_5768-M.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We used Cozumel h2o, private intro to Scuba.  My wife is certified, but had not dived in 25 years.  I have only snorkeled on our cruises in the past.  I am 60 and DW is 55.  We searched for a long time to find an outfit that offered an outing for just the two of us.  The taxi ride was maybe 5-10 minutes from port to the marina, $5 per person.  We were met by our dive master, Nacho and the boat captain, filled out some release forms, loaded up in a 25 ft boat with canopy and were on our way right on time.  During the trip out, Nacho went over all the safety items and equipment.  You can bring your own mask, fins and snorkel, our use the equipment they provide.  After a 20 minute ride, we put our tanks on and were in about 4-5 feet of water to do a little training. Yep, open water, not a pool.  Stayed here about 20 minutes.  I am overweight and the dive shorty for me felt like I was in a vice and could not breath.  So I took off the dive shorty and wore my t-shirt.  You definitely want something to protect your bare skin from the BC jacket.  It will rub your skin raw in just a few minutes.  

Anyway, once Nacho was satisfied with our progress, we got back into the boat and went out about 10 minutes to deeper water.  The plan was to stay with Nacho, go down to 30-35 feet and drift for about 45 minutes.  WOW! Best excursion I have every been on in 6 cruises.  Water temp at the end of August was warm, even at 35 feet.  We came back to the boat and rested for about 25 minutes with water and fresh fruit that were provided.  Our next stop was another 15 minute ride.  Over the side and back down to 35 feet for another 45 minute dive.  Just awesome! FYI, we never got far from land and dived in an underwater protected park. Visibility was perfect!  

We thought the price was very reasonable for a private boat and a two tank dive.  Cozumel h2o does offer outings that will accommodate 12-14 people and the price is less per person.  Since our ship did not get into Cozumel until 10:00 am, our dock time to meet Nacho was a little before 1:00 PM.  We got back a little after 5:00 PM with plenty of time to get back to the ship.  Did not depart Cozumel until 10:00 PM. The owner was great to email with and answered all of my questions.  We will be back in March 2020 and will book with them again.  

We have  used Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel.  The owner himself, Antonio, was our guide.  After about a 15 minute lesson on the basics in shallow, sandy water, we then were taken to 2 separate locations for dives in about 30 feet of water.  Antonio brought his camera and took pictures of us.  He also met us afterwards at the 7-11 across from the cruise terminal so that we could buy t-shirts from him.  I would not hesitate to recommend them.