Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
1Coconet

Copenhagen Hotel help please 🙂

Recommended Posts

Hi there! We (DH and myself) are on the Baltic cruise with the Regal Princess 8/6/2019. We have one night precruise in Copenhagen I have made a reservation but am second guessing it as they are going through renovations and I’m now worried about the room we will end up with. Looking for input from anyone that can help! 

 

1. Admiral Hotel - current reservation but hotel under renovation. No AC - reviews say hotel can get very warm. 

2. Scandic Palace - looks nice includes breakfast and from what I can determine good location. Reviews look pretty good. 

 

Open to suggestions ....thank you in advance! 

 

Kathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed at the WakeUp Borgegade Hotel.  It's is a super location -- within walking distance of Nyhavn (and the canal boats), Tivoli Gardens, and Stroget (the shopping area).  The rooms are small, but efficient.  They are also clean, comfortable and quiet (if you pay a little extra for the rooms on the upper floors as we did).  The breakfast is a (moderate) extra charge, but so worth it.  It's a great  buffet and you can really fill up for the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1Coconet said:

Scandic Palace - looks nice includes breakfast and from what I can determine good location. Reviews look pretty good. 

 

We stayed at the Scandic Palace for several nights last summer and would not stay there again.  Yes, it's in a good location, and we enjoyed the included breakfast.  However, unless something has changed since then, the bell in the City Hall Bell Tower, which the hotel faces, chimes every fifteen minutes from early in the morning until midnight, and counts out the time on the hour.   Even though our room was not on the City Hall side of the hotel, and was supposedly a quiet room, it turned out to have a sort of French balcony that faced the direction of the Tower (overlooking a courtyard), and so we could hear the bell loudly in our room.  We found it very disturbing at night.   It seems to be a roll of the dice whether you'd be in a room where you could hear the bell, and we wouldn't chance it again.

 

I just took a quick look at the reviews on Trip Advisor, and found this on the second page:

 "The peacefulness of the hotel is disrupted every 15 minutes with chiming of a historic city clock. Great location but not particularly restful." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've stayed several times at the Admiral in Copenhagen, and it's among our favorite hotels anywhere. The location is convenient, and the building is loaded with character and history. Even without AC we were never uncomfortable, including a couple of mid-summer stays. Their Web site sometimes offers packages that include a really excellent buffet breakfast. We'd happily go back anytime, even during renovations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are currently at the Andersen Hotel in Copenhagen and are quite pleased  with our selection. We are walking distance from the central train station, have A/C, breakfast included and a nightly wine hour. We have walked from our hotel all over Copenhagen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are at the Absalom hotel (across the street from the Anderson), and have had a great experience.  The room is lovely; front desk excellent; staff very friendly and helpful.  We too have walked all over the city from here (though it is further to the center of town than some other places).  It gets great reviews on TripAdvisor and it is evident why.  Breakfast is included and is very good; something for everyone, including my very picky vegetarian DD.  And a very short train trip (10-15 minutes) from the airport that is very easy to do on your own.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved my stay at the Admiral many years ago but have no clue what it would be like under construction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 11:58 AM, twentyco said:

We are at the Absalom hotel (across the street from the Anderson), and have had a great experience.  The room is lovely; front desk excellent; staff very friendly and helpful.  We too have walked all over the city from here (though it is further to the center of town than some other places).  It gets great reviews on TripAdvisor and it is evident why.  Breakfast is included and is very good; something for everyone, including my very picky vegetarian DD.  And a very short train trip (10-15 minutes) from the airport that is very easy to do on your own.  

I am looking at the Absalom hotel for next year on the Mardi Gras do they have air condition,?  we have a walking tour that leaves from City Center, how far is it from hotel also Tivoli gardens, Nyhavn, their website don't give this info.  Thanks for any info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input! I’m keeping our room at the Admiral right now. I did check the Andersen but they are full. Thank you again everyone for your input! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, telebax51 said:

I am looking at the Absalom hotel for next year on the Mardi Gras do they have air condition,?  we have a walking tour that leaves from City Center, how far is it from hotel also Tivoli gardens, Nyhavn, their website don't give this info.  Thanks for any info.

Not all rooms at the Absalon have air conditioning.  Ours (on the 5th floor) did, but it was an upgrade; we booked one without AC due to cost.  In terms of location, it is about a 5 minute walk from the main train station (Copenhagen central station), and about 5-10 from Tivoli.  I think it would be a hike from Nyhavn.  We did walk one day from Stroget (main shopping/pedestrian street) in about 20 minutes.  We took a boat tour and saw Nyhavn.  Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, twentyco said:

Not all rooms at the Absalon have air conditioning.  Ours (on the 5th floor) did, but it was an upgrade; we booked one without AC due to cost.  In terms of location, it is about a 5 minute walk from the main train station (Copenhagen central station), and about 5-10 from Tivoli.  I think it would be a hike from Nyhavn.  We did walk one day from Stroget (main shopping/pedestrian street) in about 20 minutes.  We took a boat tour and saw Nyhavn.  Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. 20 min. walk is no problem we did a lot more in Barcelona. We have no plains using the train station Wife is afraid of biking so that's out. I have to see what the weather is once we get close if we will upgrade to AC room, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be on Baltic cruise in August and based on above reviews, will be changing our hotel reservations. I appreciate everyone’s input. Question: have any of you done the cruise, starting and/or ending in Copenhagen? We decided not to go with the hotel package with Princess and transfer, so we are booking independently. Is a taxi from the ship to hotel the only choice (other than bus and train)? Thanks for any advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can highly recommend the WakeUp Borgegade Hotel, too. It's in the perfect location. The rooms are pretty no frills, but it's clean and comfortable with everything you'd need. 

 

If you need a hand with some ideas for things to do in Copenhagen, I've written extensively about my time there! 🙂https://justinpluslauren.com/3-days-in-copenhagen-itinerary-travel/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed at the Scandic Weber’s two weeks ago. It has a great location,  air conditioning, and a delicious breakfast.  The hotel arranged a taxi to the port for us. The taxi took credit cards and cost the equivalent of $40 US.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We are thinking Baltic next year, this is great info.  How much should I budget for taxi to hotel...and then on return cruise port to airport?  I find the cruise line transportation is really expensive and it sounds like it's easy enough to do ourselves. 

 

Also, has anyone done the NCL Baltic on the Escape?  review please 😄 

Edited by thillman123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if a hotel with 2 double or queen beds?  Meeting family there, before Baltic cruise.  

 Thanks  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thillman123, maybe ask about the Escape on the NCL boards.  The Escape has been in service for a while but not sure if she has sailed the Baltic.  The Getaway is sailing the Baltic this year.  That ship (Getaway) has had some issues.  The Epic is a very large ship, though.  

 

Next July, we are on The SKY Princess, (which debuts this fall)  so are reading reviews on her  sister, the Regal.  

 

Good luck  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just came back from a cruise and stayed at the Scandic Palace the night before and after the cruise. The night before  we were very tired and went to sleep early, we heard the bell  and woke up several times. After the cruise we stayed in a room facing the front of the hotel ,it had a tiny balcony with 2 sets of wood doors with glass panes.We did not hear the bell although we were close to it, the doors did the trick.

It advertised having AC, but turning the AC to the max level provided not much cooling. The ssecond night we requested a table fan that really worked well cooling the room.

 

We loved the breakfast buffet, lots of choices, the baked goods and the coffee were exceptional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 5:07 PM, sinned19 said:

We just came back from a cruise and stayed at the Scandic Palace the night before and after the cruise. The night before  we were very tired and went to sleep early, we heard the bell  and woke up several times. After the cruise we stayed in a room facing the front of the hotel ,it had a tiny balcony with 2 sets of wood doors with glass panes.We did not hear the bell although we were close to it, the doors did the trick.

It advertised having AC, but turning the AC to the max level provided not much cooling. The ssecond night we requested a table fan that really worked well cooling the room.

 

We loved the breakfast buffet, lots of choices, the baked goods and the coffee were exceptional.

Thank you very much for this update! We ended up switching our reservation last week to the Scandic Palace. We plan on enjoying bells or no bells 🙂. Liked the location ! We will request a table fan at check in. Thank you for the tip 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 1Coconet said:

Thank you very much for this update! We ended up switching our reservation last week to the Scandic Palace. We plan on enjoying bells or no bells 🙂. Liked the location ! We will request a table fan at check in. Thank you for the tip 👍

Enjoy the Princess cruise, we did  !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...