Which are Must Visit Ports on a Japan cruise?

worldtraveller99

Planning a round Japan cruise - will have our own time in Tokyo before we start, and in Kyoto & Osaka after we land. And I know we want to see Hiroshima and Miyajima on the cruise.

But then all the lines - large and small - go to different places as they circumnavigate Japan!!  None of which I know much about - and do have guide books.

So which please are your favourite Must See Ports apart from the above - and what specifically is there to see in them? Thank you very much for your help.

We have done two Japan cruises and enjoyed both of them immensely. And we have already booked a third...
A must see town definitely is Kyoto - which can be reached from Osaka or Kobe.

Our first cruise was on Millennium from Tokyo to Shanghai. Our second on HAL Westerdam circumnavigating Japan. Both itineraries were good.

Here´s more about it:

Millennium 

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

or Westerdam

Depends on the cruise whether you will visit Hiroshima.   We enjoyed Kanazawa to visit shirakawa.  We liked Kochi, Otaru, Sakaiminato, Hakodate, Aomori.   I would suggest you look at lonely planet and the Michelin guide to see what interests you.   Then trip advisor for what is available.  Miaminice has some great photos of the cruise we were on. 

The thing about Japan is that even the less touristy places are amazing. The food, the people and the scenery.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

... how to choose which line?

Easy - by itinerary and price :-)

We did our first cruise to Japan with Celebrity. It was and still is our prefered cruise line.

We then did the second Japan cruise with HAL and chose it mainly for the more Japan intesive itinerary. The (much) lower price was also a factor. 

Although we still prefer Celebrity because we prefer the ship design and other things, HAL was also a good experience and we would cruise with them again any day. We met great people (incl. Bennybear) on that cruise and had a blast.

We booked another cruise including Japan for 2021 and had our eye on a Celebrity cruise. However, the prices became unreasonable and we now booked the cruise with Royal´s Ovation of the Seas for less then half. The Grand Suite on that cruise would have been less expensive then a regular balcony stateroom on Celebrity...

Botom line: Japan is always great. Book the itinery you like most with a cruise line you feel comfortale with.

However, I would recommend doing individual SMALL GROUP tours. Either organized yourself or by joining people from the roll call. Following a number together with 30+ people on a tour is just not the same experience at the places.

Most ports are also very easy to do DIY. You can find info and maps on websites or at kiosks at every port. They are very helpful...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I echo Miaminice,    we chose based on time and price.   We went during cherry blossom time and it was amazing,  though the cruise was pricier than at other times.   I wouldn't stress on including Hiroshima on the cruise,  it is easily visited from  Kyoto by bullet train.   Though truly deserves its own overnight.     I think summer is very hot,  and you want to avoid typhoon season  which I believe is in the fall.  Other than that,  what ever most appeals.    Let us know what you choose and we can be of more help.  

Thank you all - it isn't for a couple of years, so I have lots of time to look at your suggested ports and work out which itinerary we would like. But at the end it will probably be who does it in May which is the month I want to go in! Not all lines do Japan all the time, sadly.  

• 3 weeks later...

We did 3 Japan cruises and 2 land trips. Ship lines were Ponant, Azamara, and Holland America. Azamara's itinerary included the most ports. We were there in May, peak of cherry blossoms in the northern ports of Aomori and Hakodate. One Princess ship cruises around Japan regularly out of Yokohama. They advertise in Japan which means that you will have polite and well dressed Japanese co-passengers.

If you can swing it, spend some time in Japan before or/and after your cruise. Kyoto is most people's favorite but be aware that it is as overrun with tourists as Rome, Venice and Barcelona.

We loved the small ports like Sakaiminato and Kochi. Do some research to get a feel for the country's sights.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Miaminice - Having just booked a NCL cruise for Japan in November 2020, I was interested to see where some of the ports would be.  We booked as the cruise seemed a bargain, but having read your report this morning I think we've made a good call as many of the ports are the same.  

Interesting question.  I was looking at two April cruises and then saw one hit certain ports during the cherry blossom season and the other did not.  These are 4/26/2021 Azamara and 4/21/2021 Oceania.  Because the Azamara one goes north, it worked.  I actually had to do some real research.  The Azamara cruise starts later, but goes north before going around and south and the Oceania 10-day cruise is all south of Tokyo.  In the end, it's the two ports which weren't key ports for us (Hakodate and Aomori) which were the ones that turned the decision for us.  

Good job on the choice.   Cherry blossom time starts end of March and goes north.  Hakodate and Aomori are towards the end of April.  Each year can vary as well.  We found the smaller ports that we didn’t know were often the highlights. 

Photos from Hiroshima April 3, Hakodate, April 23 and Hirosaki from Aomori April 24

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

Thanks Bennybear.  I was going to post a thread here on choice of cruises.  Because of my profession, I can only go after 4/15 (unless I wait six years until retirement).  The other benefit to the Azamara itinerary is that it's 15 days and will be warmer in May when we get to southern Japan.  The Oceania cruise is only 10 days, beginning April 21 and only goes south of Tokyo and returns there.  Price is similar for both cruises, although only have Ocean view for Azamara and would have veranda for Oceania.  5 extra days for same price and two ports for cherry blossoms > veranda.  Only 500 days out.  😉

Enjoy!  We loved it!   Spend some time before or after in Japan and visit some smaller and larger places.  It is fascinating!   Now I am wanting to go back again to Kyoto.  You will be there in Mid May and should also be able to see the wisteria around Tokyo.  

IMG_1858.jpg

• Like 2

Have just seen in a tour operator's brochure the Ashikaga Flower Park near Tokyo with beautiful wisteria in early May I hope. Am now aiming to spend an extra day in Tokyo before our mid-May cruise to go and see that. I don't want to start our trip until the Golden Week is over to avoid the crowds?