Lanyards - no joke

Lottacruises

36 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Platinum and diamond people would pay a premium for it because the reason half of them like the lanyards is so they can show off their loyalty program status

That's like wearing the paper crown from Burger King.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

Platinum and diamond people would pay a premium for it because the reason half of them like the lanyards is so they can show off their loyalty program status

The best perk of being platinum and diamond is that you don't have that secret envy of them that you used to have. Keep cruising, you'll understand. 

37 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

The best perk of being platinum and diamond is that you don't have that secret envy of them that you used to have. Keep cruising, you'll understand. 

Never had envy of any of them, next year doing one cruise as elite following one as a newbie, do you honestly think I’ll envy the top tiers on the second cruise??

On 6/24/2019 at 5:43 PM, AmazedByCruising said:

The percentage of seasoned cruisers who are genuinely happy about getting a lanyard must be around 0.

I am a seasoned cruiser and I really liked my lanyard on my last cruise. I was thankful to get it.

7 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

I saw your son on the dream a few days ago. I didn't tell him hi from you this time. Great kid

Ah thanks! 😊  His 6 month Contract ends the end of July. And he ready to get off the Ship 🚢!  Wonderful ship, loves his Team, just gets tired of working for months on end. You know, no days off.  

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

That's like wearing the paper crown from Burger King.  

Many of the platinum folks who say they don't need to flaunt their VIFP status on a lanyard are the same ones who come to this forum and begin every other post with, "I'm platinum..." Thankfully, there are plenty of P/D's who don't have that holier-than-thou complex. Unfortunately, the ones who do give them a bad image.

1 hour ago, Lottacruises said:

The fact that you think everyone is envious of you and other P/D's isn't something to be proud of, despite thinking it is. With attitudes like these, the last thing most people feel towards P/D is envy. Having such a superiority complex because of a colored card on a cruise ship is not something you suddenly gain once you get that card. No, that's already inside of you. I don't need a platinum card to understand that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Many of the platinum folks who say they don't need to flaunt their VIFP status on a lanyard are the same ones who come to this forum and begin every other post with, "I'm platinum..." Thankfully, there are plenty of P/D's who don't have that holier-than-thou complex. Unfortunately, the ones who do give them a bad image.

This is spot on ...... Many can't reply to any topic without starting the first sentence with "I'm platinum" ...... Like it matters. 🙄

6 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

The fact that you think everyone is envious of you and other P/D's isn't something to be proud of, despite thinking it is. With attitudes like these, the last thing most people feel towards P/D is envy. Having such a superiority complex because of a colored card on a cruise ship is not something you suddenly gain once you get that card. No, that's already inside of you. I don't need a platinum card to understand that.

That was sarcasm directed to an individual. Sorry that you don't get that.

Wow,  the lanyard is a free gift, it cost Zero, Nothing, Nada, Nitch, Diddlysquat.  Does, it really matter?  What do you get a person that has everything?  I don't even care if I get a gift.  They remind me of the prizes you get for the tickets you get at the arcades.  Now the 'pin' is what brings the smile to my face and the laundry is really cool. Now my wife doesnt care diddley about the pin but will give it to anyone that really thinks they are cool. 

So some peeps liked the lanyard and that is great, others didnt but heck give it away to someone that would like it and make their day a little brighter.  .  

7 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Hi

I think most people understand that cruising "status" levels for any given cruise line are not something that was earned through any sort of skill or knowledge. Everybody can get one. 😃

It's a product that was purchased. We all know people who like to brag about things they own. One thing about travel is that while you will always have the memories and experience, you don't have a tangible product to show. You can see, for someone who does like to boast a bit, it has to come out some way. I notice it usually comes out at those brunch meals. It's just enthusiasm bursting at the seams.

12 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

It's a product that was purchased. We all know people who like to brag about things they own. One thing about travel is that while you will always have the memories and experience, you don't have a tangible product to show. You can see, for someone who does like to boast a bit, it has to come out some way. I notice it usually comes out at those brunch meals. It's just enthusiasm bursting at the seams.

Well, if you want to impress me, I want to hear about their cruises to exotic places like Bora Bora, the Norwegian Fjords, Egypt, New Zealand,  China, etc.  Reaching Platinum by sailing to Nassau and Cozumel 14 times ...... Not at all.  🙄

36 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Well, if you want to impress me, I want to hear about their cruises to exotic places like Bora Bora, the Norwegian Fjords, Egypt, New Zealand,  China, etc.  Reaching Platinum by sailing to Nassau and Cozumel 14 times ...... Not at all.  🙄

Hi

I can't really imagine that you would want to hear those stories. I learnt long ago not to bring out those picture albums (remember those 😃) buried in one of my closets. For most, this would be "boring", even if alcohol is involved. As I said, what you take away from travel are those experiences and memories. They are my memories. For others they are meaningless. People have to experience things for themselves. If it were just for the images and stories, there are numerous travelers who have made films from all corners of the globe that you can see on TV any day of the week.

The question was, why would anyone want to try to impress myself or you, we are complete strangers. While we know there is no good reason, I suggested that it was just enthusiasm that needs to come out for some. I can understand that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

That would put you in the category "people who do like a lanyard, but already have one and have no use for another". :)

Unless you're me and you use lanyards for lots of things and proceed to lose them lol.  A lanyard is a weird gift, but I'm not Platinum anyhow, so that's about my only thought on it.  

On 6/24/2019 at 1:36 PM, crzndeb said:

Rather than trinkets, maybe some free internet minutes, drink coupons, coffee coupons.

I think even a single drink coupon would be better than what they give away. Pretty sure my lanyards are still in the suitcase from my trip 2 months ago...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

You know, I kind of get this now. On our first Platinum cruise (we sailed so much that we became Platinum in just 4 years!) we were in the priority guest services line for some reason. An older woman behind us, also Platinum had the nerve to yell at us for standing in the wrong line because we don't fit the usual age group stereotype. 

Let's just say, it was quite nice to shove my card in her nosey face.

10 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I'll announce my loyalty status when it's pertinent to the post I'm writing, not to brag or flaunt it.  I'll say I'm Diamond when I talk about priority boarding or disembarkation, early cabin access, etc.  so readers won't think I'm ignoring or breaking the regular rules.  I wouldn't want a blue or red card thinking they can follow me through the closed doors to access a cabin early or to get into the Captain's Diamond Brunch for example.

Since we can only read the words here, and have no body language, no facial or tonal expression to help determine the attitude of what's written, I generally try not to guess at what motivates people to post.  I'll admit, I do succomb sometimes though, usually when it's one of my own hot button issues.

Some posts are written in a way that 5 different people can interpret them 5 different ways, and mostly through the reader's own bias, not the writer's.  It's a process similar to transference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

You know, I kind of get this now. On our first Platinum cruise (we sailed so much that we became Platinum in just 4 years!) we were in the priority guest services line for some reason. An older woman behind us, also Platinum had the nerve to yell at us for standing in the wrong line because we don't fit the usual age group stereotype. 

Let's just say, it was quite nice to shove my card in her nosey face.

That's not the same as proclaiming that everyone who isn't P/D are envious of P/D. I can assure anyone who thinks that, with utmost certainty, that I am not envious of P/D. Nor will I ever look down my nose at those who aren't, when my time comes.

I have to say...I rarely see platinum/diamonds starting threads with "I'm platinum".  What I see MUCH more of is platinum/diamond bashing...all over this board.  Now, in some threads, like this one, it's absolutely relevant...because we're the ones that get the gift.  Gasp...I said "we".  Yes, I will admit it...I'm one of them.   So feel free to stop reading my response now, and dismiss it because of my status...which so many of you seem to hate.  Get over it...it doesn't make anyone better or worse than anyone else.  But sometimes it's relevant to express the fact that a person has cruised on Carnival a lot...which makes them an experienced Carnival cruiser.  That's all.   Some non-platinum people are actually far more experienced, as they cruise across multiple lines.  There's just no convenient label for them. 

Now, to the issue at hand:   Does the lanyard suck?  Absolutely (in my opinion).  Have other gifts sucked, in my opinion?  Yes.   Are some of the gifts awesome?  Yes.   But see...it's all relative.  Different gifts suck to different people.   It's hard for me, personally, to see why someone would like this lanyard...even though I am a lanyard person (I rarely have pockets in what I wear on cruises.)   But...I will tell you, there is a huge market of people begging for them and buying them over on the social media site that is the book of faces.  There is a whole group set up of people swapping Plat/Diamond gifts, and let me tell you...people want these lanyards.   So even though I think they suck...others don't.  My husband rolls his eyes at the Tervis tumblers, but I absolutely adore them.   To each his own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Domergirl said:

I have to say...I rarely see platinum/diamonds starting threads with "I'm platinum".  What I see MUCH more of is platinum/diamond bashing...all over this board. Now, in some threads, like this one, it's absolutely relevant

So feel free to stop reading my response now, and dismiss it because of my status...which so many of you seem to hate.

Yes, sometimes it is relevant, but those aren't the instances I was referring to. I never see any P/D's being "bashed" just because they're P/D. That's pretty misleading. You seem to be under the impression that P/D "bashing" only happens because of their VIFP status alone. You're implying that non-P/D are just jealous, so we "bash" you. Wrong. If I have anything negative to say about P/D, it's not directed at the VIFP level itself, it's directed at the person. If someone's arrogant and conceited about it, I'll call it like I see it. But not all P/D's act that way, thankfully. So it's not the status that's the problem, it's how some people use it to treat others.

Tell that to the people who act superior just because of their P/D status. There's no shortage of examples on this forum. You'll even see some in this thread.

You're right, but tell that to the people who constantly act superior just because of their P/D status. There's no shortage of examples in this forum. You'll even find them right here in this thread.

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

That's not the same as proclaiming that everyone who isn't P/D are envious of P/D. I can assure anyone who thinks that, with utmost certainty, that I am not envious of P/D. Nor will I ever look down my nose at those who aren't, when my time comes.

I know, just felt like sharing the story. 

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

Yes, sometimes it is relevant, but those aren't the instances I was referring to. I never see any P/D's being "bashed" just because they're P/D. That's pretty misleading. You seem to be under the impression that P/D "bashing" only happens because of their VIFP status alone. You're implying that non-P/D are just jealous, so we "bash" you. Wrong. If I have anything negative to say about P/D, it's not directed at the VIFP level itself, it's directed at the person. If someone's arrogant and conceited about it, I'll call it like I see it. But not all P/D's act that way, thankfully. So it's not the status that's the problem, it's how some people use it to treat others.

You're right, but tell that to the people who constantly act superior just because of their P/D status. There's no shortage of examples in this forum. You'll even find them right here in this thread.

I'm not sure where that third quote came from?  I don't understand how it's showing as a quote from me?  It looks like it's almost identical to what you typed below it.  I'm assuming it's just a glitch...but not sure why a quote shows up as being mine, when it isn't?  

I don't disagree that there are obnoxious people who lord their status over others...but my personal experience is that I hesitate to even mention status on this board (even if it seems relevant), because I feel like I'll be attacked for saying it.  That's not directed at you, just a general comment. 

• Like 1