Missing the Pyramids?

19 minutes ago, Sharle said:

There us a two day stop at Luxor with an overland tour that includes the pyramids if you choose to book it

Thanks, Sharle.  I missed the overland section.  This is the one:  OVERLAND-EGYPT'S RENOWNED RELICS LUXOR & PYRAMIDS.  I'm guessing that this will not be an included excursion.

As you've found out there is an Overland that flies you up to Cairo.

Very few cruises go near Cairo, except perhaps if they stop at Alexandria.

If you really, really have to see the Pyramids, I understand, and suggest you do that Overland, which is not, as you surmised, included, but in fact will be fairly pricey.

52 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

As you've found out there is an Overland that flies you up to Cairo.

Very few cruises go near Cairo, except perhaps if they stop at Alexandria.

If you really, really have to see the Pyramids, I understand, and suggest you do that Overland, which is not, as you surmised, included, but in fact will be fairly pricey.

Hi Wendy,

The Pyramids have been on the bucket list since childhood.  Is there a problem with Port Said or Cairo that Regent doesn’t go there?   Any idea what “fairly pricey” is? 

3 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

The problem is that to see the pyramids you have to go with your mummy. Does not fit with the WC demographics !

Well, most of us will be embalmed by the time we get there.  Some may be crying for our mummy by then!  😉

2 hours ago, MadMarine said:

Hi Wendy,

The Pyramids have been on the bucket list since childhood.  Is there a problem with Port Said or Cairo that Regent doesn’t go there?   Any idea what “fairly pricey” is? 

If Cairo were safe, Regent would be stopping there.  It isn’t so Regent does not go there.

If there is an excursion, at any price, it is worth it because Regent has to pay quite a bit for the amount of security that is needed in that area.

Having been to Cairo, Luxor and other stops along the Nile, I can say that the sites that you can see visiting Luxor exceeds what you would see in Cairo (except for the pyramids).   

55 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

If Cairo were safe, Regent would be stopping there.  It isn’t so Regent does not go there.

If there is an excursion, at any price, it is worth it because Regent has to pay quite a bit for the amount of security that is needed in that area.

Having been to Cairo, Luxor and other stops along the Nile, I can say that the sites that you can see visiting Luxor exceeds what you would see in Cairo (except for the pyramids).   

TC, 

Quite a set of assertions.  Any information from Regent as to the unsafe conditions in Cairo?  Why would they have an overland excursion that includes Cairo if that were so?  

Several other cruise lines include Port Said (Cairo) in their itineraries.  Would you suggest that they are willing to risk the safety of their customers?

An excursion at any price, really?  Security is provided for all organized excursions in Egypt, as far as I’ve read including private excursions.  Tourism is important to the country.

Finally,  I appreciate that you might think that a visit to Cairo, the museum and pyramids pales in comparison to the grandeur of Luxor, but it might not for others.

But, thanks for your opinions.  I was actually looking for hard data.

• Like 1

When we were in Cairo 4 years ago, someone asked the hotel concierge whether it was safe to go out.  He said, "It is always safe unless you try to cross the street."  The traffic is that horrendous, but I don't know why Jackie thinks Cairo is dangerous. My impressions match the concierge's.

Saying if Cairo were safe then Regent would dock there seems to ignore the fact that Cairo is way up the Nile from Alexandria. There is no sea port there.

Re pyramids vs Luxor, I'm lucky to have spent a couple of days at both. If I were forced to choose just one, it would easily be Luxor. But I certainly understand the pyramids being on people's bucket list.

The flight from Luxor to Cairo has another thing going for it.  There is a thin ribbon of green along the Nile, sometimes less than a mile across, and from the plane looking either East or West beyond the ribbon of green there is nothing but sand as far as you can see. There are pictures on the web, but that is a poor substitute for actually seeing it.

Now, if Regent offered a tour to Abu Simbel I would be tempted to pay the money to go there again. But last time I checked they don't.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MadMarine said:

Hi Wendy,

price for the overland is $1499 pp

12 hours ago, MadMarine said:

Hi Wendy,

It is my understanding its somewhere around USD 1,400 p/p (I got a quote in NZD so using exchange rate - approximately). The trip to Cairo is on the second day, early start - 4.30 am. Flying to Cairo and back, a few hours there to visit the pyramids. As much as we would like to go there, I can't justify the exercise, to be honest

• Like 1

I think the trip starts in Luxor with a full day of touring.  Then overnight in Luxor and early flight to Cairo for pyramids.  They were the last people back on the ship before sailaway.  The people we talked to had no regrets.  The ship is docked something like an hour from Luxor.  

We always review the travel advice from the UK Government and the US Government websites when travelling to countries with potential security risks, rather than relying on hearsay or uninformed opinions. 

As to visiting Cairo, the Cairo museum and the Pyramids, IMO it would be easier  to do this  as a land based holiday or as part of a Nile riverboat cruise rather than making the mad dash and expensive visit during a Regent cruise. However if this is the only chance to get to see something on your bucket list then go for it.

The overnight offering by Regent to visit Luxor does look to be worthwhile to allow more time touring the area and minimising difficult travel to/from the ship. We are participating in this overland tour during our Voyager cruise later this year. 

Edited by flossie009

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

We always review the travel advice from the UK Government and the US Government websites when travelling to countries with potential security risks, rather than relying on hearsay or uninformed opinions. 

As to visiting Cairo, the Cairo museum and the Pyramids, IMO it would be easier  to do this  as a land based holiday or as part of a Nile riverboat cruise rather than making the mad dash and expensive visit during a Regent cruise. However if this is the only chance to get to see something on your bucket list then go for it.

The overnight offering by Regent to visit Luxor does look to be worthwhile to allow more time touring the area and minimising difficult travel to/from the ship. We are participating in this overland tour during our Voyager cruise later this year. 

Hi Flossie,

I do the same with regards to travel warnings, good to be prepared for potential risks.  I’m still weighing the merits of doing the land excursion offered by Regent against another cruise line.  I will be looking forward to your assessment of the trip.

Tom

15 hours ago, MadMarine said:

Hi Wendy,

If you're talking about WC 2021, it's this: Egypt’s Renowned Relics            CA$1922 per person

(sorry, I get quoted CAD, so can't give you a precise US price.)

As for Port Said, I have no idea, but I know they just don't do it--traffic in Cairo is a nightmare, I do know that. Focus coming up the canal is Luxor, and its feast of wonderful sights. And there is a well-trodden tourist trail between Safaga and Luxor.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

All of which proves that Egypt - like India - is not a cruise destination.  Stay in Cairo, cruise up the Nile, stay in Aswan.  This might be a good time to go because of the security concerns.   We did that trip several years ago, shortly after a massacre at one of the temples near Luxor.  There were six passengers on our A&K boat plus a soldier with a machine gun mounted on a tripod.  Karnak was deserted, so was Abu Simbel.  There was a downside - the frenzy for tips, guides and general tourist tat made me vow never to return.

Regent ships cannot get to Cairo anyway ...  and they don't seem to stop in Alexandria either.   I find the pyramids impressive but the Valley of the Kings, Karnak etc near Luxor are far more interesting IMO.  I would stick with those.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

All of which proves that Egypt - like India - is not a cruise destination.  Stay in Cairo, cruise up the Nile, stay in Aswan.  This might be a good time to go because of the security concerns.   We did that trip several years ago, shortly after a massacre at one of the temples near Luxor.  There were six passengers on our A&K boat plus a soldier with a machine gun mounted on a tripod.  Karnak was deserted, so was Abu Simbel.  There was a downside - the frenzy for tips, guides and general tourist tat made me vow never to return.

You're right, for sure.  When we went in 2015, Luxor wasn't quite deserted, but close.  We had 12 on our Uniworld river cruise.

And yes, the poor local merchants were pretty aggressive, but I felt for them.  Shoals of empty cruise boats on the river.

53 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Regent ships cannot get to Cairo anyway ...  and they don't seem to stop in Alexandria either.   I find the pyramids impressive but the Valley of the Kings, Karnak etc near Luxor are far more interesting IMO.  I would stick with those.

I agree with you, but it depends, doesn't it?  Seeing Giza is a peak experience of a kind, and if I hadn't been, I'd be on that overnight trip I think. My peak experience on that trip I think was Abu Simbel.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I also failed to mention, the New Zealand government advises their citizens to exercise increased caution when visiting the United States, as do many other countries. Quite a few mention terrorism and gun violence. I exercise caution home or abroad.

Ron

• Like 1
  • Haha 1