Silversea vs Regent Comparison

trevandange

Captain or not, there is no excuse for rudeness and standoffish behavior from a senior officer of what, after all, is a very expensive offering in the luxury travel market. If nothing else (and there is to me “much else”), the captain sets the tone for the officers and crew. That’s why I expect the captain to attend the welcome party, behave as if he enjoys it, and introduce the senior officers - as if there is an element of mutual respect, and that includes respecting the product and brand we are subsidizing. And giving us our due in the course of the cruise.

Simple as that... it is, then, the cruise line.

Happy and healthy sailing!

18 hours ago, wripro said:

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with the cruise line. It's the Captain himself (or herself) who is responsible for his interactions with passengers. I've seen everything from the Captain of a Seabourn ship run all the way across the deck to open a door for me when he spotted me to a Captain on Silversea who turned and walked the other way when I tried to catch his eye. And furthermore I could care less id the Captina has any interaction with me. AS far as I'm concerned as long as he does his job of sailing the vessel safely I'm happy. I don't need him to entertain me. Most of them are far too boring anyway.

I second this opinion.  All I ask of the Captain is to keep the ship on course and safe.  Has no effect on my enjoyment of a cruise if I ever see the Captain or not.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, markham said:

Captain or not, there is no excuse for rudeness and standoffish behavior from a senior officer of what, after all, is a very expensive offering in the luxury travel market. If nothing else (and there is to me “much else”), the captain sets the tone for the officers and crew. That’s why I expect the captain to attend the welcome party, behave as if he enjoys it, and introduce the senior officers - as if there is an element of mutual respect, and that includes respecting the product and brand we are subsidizing. And giving us our due in the course of the cruise.

Simple as that... it is, then, the cruise line.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Since I stopped going to the welcome parties and the goodbye parties long ago I could care less if the captain attends them or not. I'll never know.

58 minutes ago, wripro said:

Since I stopped going to the welcome parties and the goodbye parties long ago I could care less if the captain attends them or not. I'll never know.

I too stopped going to these events (as I have the Venetian Society party, before which I ask the Cruise Consultant not to call out my number of nights, etc.)  However, I feel a bit guilty about not attending the farewell party and not putting my hands together and contributing my applause to the richly deserved tribute to the crew during the wonderful Crew Parade.  Perhaps I compensate by contributing a bit more generously to the Crew Welfare Fund.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

I too stopped going to these events (as I have the Venetian Society party, before which I ask the Cruise Consultant not to call out my number of nights, etc.)  However, I feel a bit guilty about not attending the farewell party and not putting my hands together and contributing my applause to the richly deserved tribute to the crew during the wonderful Crew Parade.  Perhaps I compensate by contributing a bit more generously to the Crew Welfare Fund.

We always sat in the Bar along the windows and applauded the crew as as they came out the side door of the Theater.  I even "hi-fived" our butler once as he came by.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Observer said:

One of therein reasons I stopped going to the farewell party to applaud the crew is that many of them have told me they called it the monkey show where they are required to parade out like animals at a zoo so passengers can applaud. They find it demeaning. If you want to show your appreciation write them up in the guest questionnaire and make a contribution to the crew welfare fund.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wripro said:

One of therein reasons I stopped going to the farewell party to applaud the crew is that many of them have told me they called it the monkey show where they are required to parade out like animals at a zoo so passengers can applaud. They find it demeaning. 

This is a disturbing message.

I too was aware that (at least some) crew refer to the parade as The Monkey Show.  I thought that this was nothing more than a bit of (lame?) crew wit, probably launched at the crew bar.  I never imagined that it was a response to the feeling of some or many of the participants that the entire affair was demeaning.  I gather that participants are assigned to marching on a rota basis.  If many crew believe that their participation is demeaning, I hope that Silversea will suspend the tradition or, at the very least, make participation entirely voluntary.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Observer said:

I too was aware that (at least some) crew refer to the parade as The Monkey Show.  I thought that this was nothing more than a bit of (lame?) crew wit, probably launched at the crew bar.  I never imagined that it was a response to the feeling of some or many of the participants that the entire affair was demeaning.  I gather that participants are assigned to marching on a rota basis.  If many crew believe that their participation is demeaning, I hope that Silversea will suspend the tradition or, at the very least, make participation entirely voluntary.  

When you think about it the whole process is designed to make the passenger feel good about applauding, not to make the crew feel appreciated. jmo.

6 hours ago, Observer said:

Agreed.  We will be skipping this event, on our first cruise and subsequent.

6 hours ago, wripro said:

When you think about it the whole process is designed to make the passenger feel good about applauding

I may have never thought about it this way, but now that I read these words, I can imagine myself feeling good about applauding. No thanks, don't need it.

6 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

The whole thing is superficial, demeaning and somewhat tasteless.

Ouch.  I'm with wripro, do away with it then. 

It could be worse. You could get dancing waiters!

Been to a few and always once there feel a bit trapped and wished we weren't. However, if they didn't do it, the noises about cutbacks and they just don't care would soon come to the forefront in sure.

• Like 2