Declining Puffin Population

I am a bit of a Puffin fan. In preparation of our upcoming Iceland cruise, I came across a couple disturbing articles about the declining populations of puffins, not just in Iceland, but also in Alaska, Norway and the UK. On Heimaey Island, thousands of puffin chicks have died of starvation.  A team of UK researchers is investigating the phenomenon, in which global warming and fishing appear to be the causes.

Even though, puffins are on the endangered species list, in Iceland puffins are hunted for their meat, and are still served as entrees in some restaurants!  

Edited by jmbklj

The puffin population is now flourishing on Lundy island, just off England's north Devon coast, due to years of hard work clearing out the island's rat population.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/28/seabird-numbers-soar-15-year-rspb-conservation-project-kill/

Shame it's against the overall trend. I wonder whether rats are a major problem - easier to eradicate on a small island

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:33 PM, John Bull said:

The puffin population is now flourishing on Lundy island, just off England's north Devon coast, due to years of hard work clearing out the island's rat population.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/28/seabird-numbers-soar-15-year-rspb-conservation-project-kill/

Shame it's against the overall trend. I wonder whether rats are a major problem - easier to eradicate on a small island

Say it isn't so, JB!  I am surprised that the "Rat Fan Club" has not started a major international movement to spare the rat population.  And yes, there really is a rat fan club (ratfanclub.org).  

Hank

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Say it isn't so, JB!  I am surprised that the "Rat Fan Club" has not started a major international movement to spare the rat population.  And yes, there really is a rat fan club (ratfanclub.org).  

Hank

It didn't have many members after the Black Death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

The Rat Fan Club should concentrate on the particularly cruel blood- sport of Splat-a-Rat. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V7657E9U0I