Barge cruise, anyone? My trip report of European Waterways' Athos on Canal du Midi!

JustinPlusLauren

9 hours ago, cormike1 said:

Thank you Lauren for your posts and wonderful pictures.  My husband and I are always looking for different places to travel to and having done 4 river cruises, which we loved, this looks like it would be so much fun.  I will definitely look into this type of vacation. Thanks again!

You're welcome! I hope you get to take a barge cruise, it was so much fun!

I've got a brand new blog post up, all about the Fonserannes Locks! For anyone interested in canal locks, this one is for you! And if you don't know about them (I was in this situation before we sailed!), you'll learn a few things from my blog post!

https://justinpluslauren.com/fonserannes-locks-canal-du-midi/

Your reports and pictures are amazing. Definitely enjoying his.

So question  -I am doing a regular ocean cruise and in one of our ports, Sete - we have the option to take a barge for about an hour on the Canal du Midi - would it be worth it for an hour?

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Your reports and pictures are amazing. Definitely enjoying his.

So question  -I am doing a regular ocean cruise and in one of our ports, Sete - we have the option to take a barge for about an hour on the Canal du Midi - would it be worth it for an hour?

Oooh! That sounds like fun! I think it could be a really relaxing and enjoyable experience for an hour. You'll get to have a taste of the experience for sure. 

5 hours ago, JustinPlusLauren said:

Oooh! That sounds like fun! I think it could be a really relaxing and enjoyable experience for an hour. You'll get to have a taste of the experience for sure. 

Thanks - I was reading your review and then looked at shore excursions for my trip and saw this and thought it would be pretty cool!

I've got a brand new post up on the blog! It's all about our day trip to the town of Narbonne. It has a very intriguing Roman history, an unfinished cathedral that's pretty darn amazing, and it's probably best known for its market (open 365 days a year!). 

Read more here: https://justinpluslauren.com/narbonne-france/

Narbonne-Title.jpg

• Like 1

New post alert! The next morning, we went on an excursion to L'Oulibo for an olive and olive oil tasting. Yes, they make excellent and high quality olive oil in the South of France - it's not just in Greece/Italy/Spain! 

Here's my full review: https://justinpluslauren.com/olive-oil-tour-south-of-france/

P1380375-XL.jpg

41 minutes ago, JustinPlusLauren said:

New post alert! The next morning, we went on an excursion to L'Oulibo for an olive and olive oil tasting. Yes, they make excellent and high quality olive oil in the South of France - it's not just in Greece/Italy/Spain! 

They make excellent olive oil in California too.  The important thing is to find a place that makes the olive oil where they grow the olives.  Much of the olive oil imported to the US from e.g. Greece doesn't actually come from Greece-grown olives.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They make excellent olive oil in California too.  The important thing is to find a place that makes the olive oil where they grow the olives.  Much of the olive oil imported to the US from e.g. Greece doesn't actually come from Greece-grown olives.

Yes exactly! They grow all of their own olives and have a very high standard. And I actually tasted an olive that I liked (I usually hate olives) so that was a huge win! 😄 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - it's me again! Here's the latest post from my journey along the Canal du Midi. The town of Minerve is a peaceful little place - so quiet - but has such a violent past (you'd never know it by going there!). They have fortification walls that are still partially in tact, a beautiful bridge, and quaint cobblestone streets. 

Here's my full review: https://justinpluslauren.com/minerve-france/

Minerve-Title.jpg