Remain on the ship in Southampton?

Tonopah

OK, here's another Southampton Boots visitor. My primary stop in Southampton was to stop at Boots and stock up on their 'No-Sugar Added Shortbread Fingers', which are terrific.

The reward for visiting Southampton was, on our return, the beautiful view of the Queen Mary from Queens Park, illuminated by the setting sun.

100_4492.JPG

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

Boots (with shortbread!) and crisps and chocolate bars and pints are all excellent reasons to leave the ship. Now, if I can just find a local yarn (knitting wool) shop...

You could try John Lewis department store in Westquay. They have knitting wool in their Haberdashery department on their website. Hopefully they have it their Southampton store. 🤔🙂

55 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

Now, if I can just find a local yarn (knitting wool) shop...

When I was looking before my last westbound TA, I didn't see any LYS's in Soton. 

(If you're in London, I highly recommend Loop in Islington. It's a delightful little shop.)

And here are 2 more stores near each other in Soton that are only a short taxi ride from Westquay. Their haberdashery departments look rather promising.

Atelier Needlecrafts

Tue thru Sat, 9:00am-5:00pm

19 Church St

https://www.atelierneedlecrafts.co.uk/

+44 23 8078 9510

Make It Magic

94-96 Shirley High St

Mon thru Thu, 9:00am-5:30pm; Fri Sat 9:00am-6:00pm; Sun 10:00am-4:00pm

http://makeitmagic.co.uk/

+44 23 8077 7266

Happy shopping/knitting!

• Like 1

It's probably not quite as convenient as some of these other shops, but I liked the history of this one:

Williamsons Haberdashery
www.williamsonshaberdashery.co.uk

Established for over 50 years, Williamsons Haberdashery has been the heart of Woolston and will continue to promote creativity and crafting for years to come! Originally supplying the cruise liners that docked into Southampton with their furnishing fabrics, Williamsons has now diversified to include an extensive range of beautiful craft cottons, yarns, ribbons, and haberdashery supplies.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 3:04 PM, MarkBearSF said:

Yes you can stay. My husband never leaves the ship. I inevitably need to pick up something or other from Boots (a drug store) and take the free shuttle to the nearby West Quay Mall.

For the first time we may be in-transit passengers at Southampton next year. We will definitely get off the ship. I know Southampton fairly well and could walk to the Westquay Mall (for our Marks and Spencer fix), but my wife can't do long walks any more. Does the shuttle leave from the Ocean Terminal or the dock gate?

I have used a shuttle a few times to/from the railway station and Westquay. As I recall, there was a small charge unless you could show a train ticket. 

52 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

FoDoes the shuttle leave from the Ocean Terminal or the dock gate?

I have used a shuttle a few times to/from the railway station and Westquay.

It departs from the ship pier. (I know that Ocean Terminal was/is undergoing renovation, but if it's not there, the shuttle should still leave from the ship berth)

For the past two years, there was something posted about a small charge, (and some UK passengers expected it to be charged to those with Saver fares) but in both trips, both directions, we never saw anyone being charged. They did check for ship cards, but that was all.

7 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Call us boring, but we're looking forward to getting off in Southhampton to go to Boots for the much-higher-quality soft plastic toothpicks we brought home from the UK last March and are out of! Those we can get in the States aren't nearly as good. 

Also, you can pick up a small quantity of pain reliever with codeine (low dosage) which is not available in the US. It was a life saver for a roommate with dental pain who had to wait two days for the dentist.

• Like 1

I know this is not the point of this thread, but it is making me chuckle no end, the visitors all going to Boots... 🙂 

But, I do admit, on my day in Manhattan when I do my back to back, I will be visiting Walgreens/CVS to stock up on some stuff not available in the UK... So, I guess it works both ways 😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, T5LHR said:

I do admit, on my day in Manhattan when I do my back to back, I will be visiting Walgreens/CVS 

We have a friend in London who often visits us in Philadelphia. One of the first stops he makes is CVS. 

• Like 1

I’ve done a number of B to B TA’s and I’ve usually stayed on board-it’s wonderful! Like other folks, I sometimes dashed to Boot’s, usually to buy packets of Imperial Leather soap which I really like. Other than that, it’s great; recently I decided to cancel a tour to Windsor, and I was glad I did because it p......d down rain all day!!!! The cleaning and maintenance on ‘turnaround day is amazing, but there are lot’s of cozy places to read and think. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 6:56 PM, T5LHR said:

I know this is not the point of this thread, but it is making me chuckle no end, the visitors all going to Boots... 🙂 

But, I do admit, on my day in Manhattan when I do my back to back, I will be visiting Walgreens/CVS to stock up on some stuff not available in the UK... So, I guess it works both ways 😄 

A few years ago I acquired the worst cold I had in 25 years on the e/b crossing. Even though we always travel with some over-the-counter medications they weren't enough, so my first action in Southampton after dropping the luggage at the hotel was to stock up at Boots. Even the delectable "goodies" at Marks and Spencer had to wait.

In Canada we used to have both Boots and Marks and Spencer, but sadly they are gone.  I certainly don't need an excuse to visit Britain but ...

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 3:17 PM, david,Mississauga said:

For the first time we may be in-transit passengers at Southampton next year. We will definitely get off the ship. I know Southampton fairly well and could walk to the Westquay Mall (for our Marks and Spencer fix), but my wife can't do long walks any more. Does the shuttle leave from the Ocean Terminal or the dock gate?

I have used a shuttle a few times to/from the railway station and Westquay. As I recall, there was a small charge unless you could show a train ticket. 

David,

I'm not familiar with a shuttle to the Southampton Central RR station.  Is this a different shuttle than the one to Westquay Mall or a continuation after Westquay?  

3 hours ago, BobBranst said:

David,

I'm not familiar with a shuttle to the Southampton Central RR station.  Is this a different shuttle than the one to Westquay Mall or a continuation after Westquay?  

It was a few years ago when we last used the shuttle to and from the station and Westquay. This shuttle may be different than it was then. At the time I don't recall any mention of it going to any of the cruise terminals - or even the Red Funnel dock as in the link below - but it may have. We showed our Britrail passes and there was no charge. This is the best I can find through Google:

https://www.redfunnel.co.uk/en/isle-of-wight-ferry/getting-to-southampton/bus-connections/

When I asked MarkBearSF if there was a charge from the Ocean Terminal I wasn't being a tightwad. I like to have the exact change ready so we are not searching for it at the entrance to the bus.

On US bookings the shuttle for transit passengers has no charge. For UK (and other?) booking it depends on the fare booked - Saver Fare passengers are charged for the shuttle, up to twice in Southampton (additional rides aren't charged).

27 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

On US bookings the shuttle for transit passengers has no charge. For UK (and other?) booking it depends on the fare booked - Saver Fare passengers are charged for the shuttle, up to twice in Southampton (additional rides aren't charged).

I'm familiar with the shuttle for transit passengers between the dock and WestQuay as we have used it on several occations.   We are considering options for our turnaround day that may include a train.   I wouldn't mind saving a little money if there was a free or lower cost shuttle alternative to taking a taxi to and from Southampton Central.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:56 PM, T5LHR said:

Us too !!!

• Like 1

On my visit to Southampton last year I took the Titanic trail which is a walking tour through the city, including the old city, and ended up at the City Sea Museum. To get back to the ship I walked a couple blocks back to WestQuay and the Cunard bus was waiting with appropriate signage. I showed him my ship card and we were soon wisked back the the Ocean Terminal to re-board. There was no charge. 

• Like 1

I am interested in this since we are doing a TA eastwards next year and adding on a roundtrip to/from Hamburg.

Having visited Southampton dozens and dozens of times, we are looking forward to a day on board. We will need to change cabins, but only to the one next door so that shouldn’t be too taxing.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 7:02 AM, Underwatr said:

Hertz near the port was open this past Sunday but only until noon. I would have had to return at the airport. Our plans ended up to remain local so I canceled the reservation.

From an earlier booking there, another issue to note with the Hertz local office for the port is that for some reason the Uber app refuses to let you select it as a pick-up location. It moves the pickup point about a half mile away.

That's interesting that Hertz was open at all on a Sunday morning, near the waterfront.

Perhaps I was misinformed, but when I contacted several car rental companies they all mentioned that there was a city-wide proscription on opening there, Sunday mornings.
I would not have willingly paid £25 each way to and from the airport just to rent a car, if I had known of any other way to get one!