Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver?

lisagro

23 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Unless I have missed it, no-one has mentioned the Pacific Club. The Pan Pacific is now our regular hotel, not just for a night or two before embarking a ship, but also when travelling on VIA's Canadian.

The rate for the Club floors can be quite high, but every time we have stayed there it has been considerably cheaper than the Gold levels at the Fairmont hotels. In fact, on all but one of our stays the Pacific Club was cheaper than a basic room across the street or at the Hotel Vancouver.  I should also mention that we have always booked initially many months in advance and the rate has dropped siginficantly a few months later so we have re-booked and saved between $100 and $200. We will be back on the night before a transcontinental train trip in November. The rates are a lot lower, of course, but even so they usually are reduced a few months in advance.

The Club has the usual goodies that executive sections of hotels offer. The staff are charming, as would be expected. The view from the lounge is west, so we do not pay extra for a "harbour-view" room,  meaning facing west. Almost all of the "city-view" rooms have a harbour view - to the east. Early availability of rooms cannot be guaranteed to those who arrive in the morning, of course, but two weeks ago on the night before our cruise we had to wait only until 12:15 for our room to be available. Our friends got their room a half hour later. Until a year or so ago one free alcoholic beverage was offered in the Club lounge, but this has been discontinued.

We have never dined in the hotel's restaurants. We are not hungry when arriving in Vancouver by VIA Rail or Air Canada's Business Class service, so we have no desire to have a full dinner. The goodies in the lounge and a drink are quite sufficient. The breakfast offerings are excellent. There are even some hot items, not always available at other chain's executive floors.

We've book Pacific Club for our September cruise.  We wanted a memorable experience since this will be our only Alaskan cruise. 

Could you expand upon the "goodies" in the lounge in the evenings?  We will be arriving at around 1800 hours after an almost 14 hour journey.  Pretty sure we will be hungry.  I doubt we'll be interested in looking outside the hotel for dinner either.  

How about the "excellent" breakfast offerings?  We're not planning on boarding until late.  A large breakfast would be wonderful.

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We've book Pacific Club for our September cruise.  We wanted a memorable experience since this will be our only Alaskan cruise. 

Could you expand upon the "goodies" in the lounge in the evenings?  We will be arriving at around 1800 hours after an almost 14 hour journey.  Pretty sure we will be hungry.  I doubt we'll be interested in looking outside the hotel for dinner either.  

How about the "excellent" breakfast offerings?  We're not planning on boarding until late.  A large breakfast would be wonderful.

The evening hors d’oeuvres are available between 5:00 and 7:00, so it seems you won’t have too much time. There were cold cuts, cheeses, fruit, vegetables, bread and a few other things I don’t remember. There was also a selection of hot hors d’oeuvres. They were mostly stuffed pastries. I don’t recall what the contents were, but they were tasty. The only thing I missed was smoked salmon, but there was plenty of that at breakfast to make up for it. If you are really hungry you may want to have room service deliver something more substantial to the lounge or your room to augment these offerings.

In the evening there are desserts, but these were very small. We didn’t bother on our most recent visit. There are always delicious cookies and some other snack which contained pretzels and other crunchy items.

Non-alcoholic beverages are available from the fridge at no charge. There is a price list for the honour bar. We had generous glasses of respectable B.C. wine at $12.

We despise making tea in a mug so we are pleased that they have cups and saucers and teapots. I rarely drink coffee but I was talking to other guests who said it was good.

For breakfast there were cereals including porridge, juices, yoghurt, fruit, cold cuts, cheeses, pastries, bread with a toaster, of course, and my favourite; smoked salmon. Although advertised as a “West coast continental breakfast” there was some hot food: scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage (maybe both) potatoes and pancakes. Breakfast is available until 10:30 on weekdays and until 11:00 on Saturday and Sunday.

There is a cruise package which includes breakfast in the restaurant. The one time we were not in the Club section we had the buffet there and it was quite substantial. But what is offered in the lounge is enough for us. After all, one can go back and get more.

25 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

The evening hors d’oeuvres are available between 5:00 and 7:00, so it seems you won’t have too much time. There were cold cuts, cheeses, fruit, vegetables, bread and a few other things I don’t remember. There was also a selection of hot hors d’oeuvres. They were mostly stuffed pastries. I don’t recall what the contents were, but they were tasty. The only thing I missed was smoked salmon, but there was plenty of that at breakfast to make up for it. If you are really hungry you may want to have room service deliver something more substantial to the lounge or your room to augment these offerings.

In the evening there are desserts, but these were very small. We didn’t bother on our most recent visit. There are always delicious cookies and some other snack which contained pretzels and other crunchy items.

Non-alcoholic beverages are available from the fridge at no charge. There is a price list for the honour bar. We had generous glasses of respectable B.C. wine at $12.

We despise making tea in a mug so we are pleased that they have cups and saucers and teapots. I rarely drink coffee but I was talking to other guests who said it was good.

For breakfast there were cereals including porridge, juices, yoghurt, fruit, cold cuts, cheeses, pastries, bread with a toaster, of course, and my favourite; smoked salmon. Although advertised as a “West coast continental breakfast” there was some hot food: scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage (maybe both) potatoes and pancakes. Breakfast is available until 10:30 on weekdays and until 11:00 on Saturday and Sunday.

There is a cruise package which includes breakfast in the restaurant. The one time we were not in the Club section we had the buffet there and it was quite substantial. But what is offered in the lounge is enough for us. After all, one can go back and get more.

Thank you for exactly the information I was looking for.  We did opt for the cruise package.  Looks like overkill but might as well go all out.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thank you for exactly the information I was looking for.  We did opt for the cruise package.  Looks like overkill but might as well go all out.

Although I have never booked the cruise package, I have noticed two aspects of it which can be appealing: the breakfast in the restaurant and late check-out.  If you are really hungry in the morning you could have a light breakfast in the Club lounge then a significant one in the restaurant.

As for luggage transfer to the ship, that is available to all guests. For those on the cruise package maybe the tip to the porters is included, but they don't make that clear.

I am interested in booking our pre cruise stay here at the Pan Pacific but have noticed it is still too early to make a reservation. We don't need it until the end of July next year. Does anyone know when these booking dates will open up?

12 hours ago, Kevin's girl said:

I am interested in booking our pre cruise stay here at the Pan Pacific but have noticed it is still too early to make a reservation. We don't need it until the end of July next year. Does anyone know when these booking dates will open up?

For our stay at the hotel a few weeks ago bookings were available about 11 months in advance. The rates for booking well in advance are quite steep.  For every time we have stayed there the rates have come down about four to six months in advance and we were able to re-book. A usually significant discount is available to members of the CAA/AAA.

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

For our stay at the hotel a few weeks ago bookings were available about 11 months in advance. The rates for booking well in advance are quite steep.  For every time we have stayed there the rates have come down about four to six months in advance and we were able to re-book. A usually significant discount is available to members of the CAA/AAA.

Thank you. I'll keep an eye on the prices as the dates come available and remember my AAA membership.

4 minutes ago, Kevin's girl said:

Thank you. I'll keep an eye on the prices as the dates come available and remember my AAA membership.

Keep an eye on pricing, as sometimes a good deal comes along.  My brother caught one about a year ago for just over $200 US.

5 hours ago, Kevin's girl said:

Just over $200 USD would be a steal. Thanks

It was a special promotion for cruisers and I think it was late in the season.  I waited too long (a couple of days) and missed out on it.-).

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

It was a special promotion for cruisers and I think it was late in the season.  I waited too long (a couple of days) and missed out on it.-).

I'm usually one of those people that just need to get it booked and squared away. I hate waiting to the last and having something have  to come out of vacation pocket money.

• Like 1

martincath & AlanF65

You have both been so helpful regarding mobility assistance, I thought that you might also know if my husband can accompany me through check-in / customs, when I am in the cruiseline wheelchair with pusher I have arranged. 

On 7/2/2019 at 10:44 AM, david,Mississauga said:

Although I have never booked the cruise package, I have noticed two aspects of it which can be appealing: the breakfast in the restaurant and late check-out.  If you are really hungry in the morning you could have a light breakfast in the Club lounge then a significant one in the restaurant.

As for luggage transfer to the ship, that is available to all guests. For those on the cruise package maybe the tip to the porters is included, but they don't make that clear.

Question:  have you dined in the Oceans 999?  Breakfast, lunch, or dinner?

On 6/26/2019 at 5:42 PM, martincath said:

I'm sure you do, and I'm glad you like it - but that public walkway is exactly what you called it, public! Nor do you need to be a guest to eat or drink in the bar or resto (we've popped in for a cocktail at sunset spontaneously more than once, and Five Sails is a great resto with one of the nicest-looking dining rooms in town... but its quality of food and service, and choice of decor, is all down to the excellent husband & wife team of Ernst & Gerry who actually run the place, renting space from the hotel just like David Hawksworth over at the Georgia).

The view from your room is actually the only factor that can't be replicated by simply staying in another hotel and using your own hotel's bellhop to take your bags to the lobby, the cabbie to load them and drive you and unload them, and the longshoremen at the pier to take bags from there - so unless OP wants to pay for that room with a view the hotel is (assuming an equally-good-service-and-comfiness-of-room in the prior hotel choice, rather than a better or worse one, which we still have no idea about) only worth the cost of the cab (plus tips for the cabbie and bellhop - longshoremen are extremely well-paid and the official signage clearly states not to tip at the pier).

Incidentally the Fairmonts across the street both also offer that same 'bags to the ship' service, in newer buildings with consistently better-rated service, plus a town car to drive you if you're so fancy or lazy you can't cope with the couple of blocks walk from the Pacific Rim 😉 Several other fancier boutique hotels will send you & your luggage with their car and driver too - it really is just about the views at the PP.

Is there an underground walkway to the terminal from the Fairmont Waterfront?  I like the idea of bags going directly to my stateroom.  Is there a charge for that?  I assume a tip would be in order.  Thanks  

On 6/28/2019 at 7:16 AM, lisagro said:

The other hotel that I have booked is the Blue Horizon, by the way. So, are there any other hotels besides the Pan Pacific that are close enough to the port that you can walk?

I stayed at both.... for $100 difference... go spoil yourself at the Pan Pacific hospitality... especially for pre-cruise.

Blue Horizon is located along Robson, so if you want more choices of restaurants.  Robson is the place to be at.

Vancouver's downtown is small, so nearly all hotels are accessible for $10 to the cruise terminal.

19 hours ago, krisdamom said:

martincath & AlanF65

You have both been so helpful regarding mobility assistance, I thought that you might also know if my husband can accompany me through check-in / customs, when I am in the cruiseline wheelchair with pusher I have arranged. 

I don't know the "official" policy but on RCI family was with person in wheel chair through customs and onto the ship.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, milolii said:

Is there an underground walkway to the terminal from the Fairmont Waterfront?  I like the idea of bags going directly to my stateroom.  Is there a charge for that?  I assume a tip would be in order.  Thanks  

There is an underground walkway between the Fairmont and the Pan Pacific Hotel.  Directly to the cruise terminal?  I don't think so.  If my memory is correct, the walkway ends at the Pan Pacific and one needs to go up an escalator into the foyer of the Hotel/Convention Center.  From there, one could reach the cruise terminal.

Staying at the Fairmont, I assume you are?  Whether they offer a luggage transfer to the ship, I don't know.  A call to the hotel before your cruise would answer your questions about that possible service.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

There is an underground walkway between the Fairmont and the Pan Pacific Hotel.  Directly to the cruise terminal?  I don't think so.  If my memory is correct, the walkway ends at the Pan Pacific and one needs to go up an escalator into the foyer of the Hotel/Convention Center.  From there, one could reach the cruise terminal.

Staying at the Fairmont, I assume you are?  Whether they offer a luggage transfer to the ship, I don't know.  A call to the hotel before your cruise would answer your questions about that possible service.

Ok thank you, rkacruiser!  My main concern is avoiding the street as we are there the morning of the SeaWheeze Marathon.  Your tips for navigation are awesome!  

I do intend to call Fairmont tomorrow and ask them about the  bag service.  We used this with Disney and I have  to say it is incredible.  

31 minutes ago, milolii said:

Ok thank you, rkacruiser!  My main concern is avoiding the street as we are there the morning of the SeaWheeze Marathon.  Your tips for navigation are awesome!  

I do intend to call Fairmont tomorrow and ask them about the  bag service.  We used this with Disney and I have  to say it is incredible.  

We stayed at the Fairmont about 5 years ago and they took our bags right from our room to the ship - no charge!

As I recall, you can access the underground food court from both hotels (Fairmont and Pan Pacific) but to get to the ship you had to go into PP and then down an elevator to the ship boarding area.  We were guided by a HAL rep from the Fairmont across the street and down a ramp to get there.

There has been a lot of discussion from the "is it worth it" question. I didn't read every word of the replies. My two cents is that the Pan Pacific is a terrific hotel. It is one of the hotels I regularly use when I am in Vancouver on business. If I was cruising I would be more inclined to use it or the Fairmont PR than the other spots (Sutton Place, Wedgewood, Four Seasons and Fairmont HV) I regularly check for rates on my business stays.

So the short answer is yes, it would be worth it to me for the added convenience.

My other thought is, that when I want a steak in Vancouver I almost always choose Hy's.

54 minutes ago, milolii said:

I appreciate your comments.  I try to be as helpful on this Forum as I can be.

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The underground passage actually goes into the convention centre, but there is a large opening to the adjacent hotel lobby. If the luggage has been taken from the Fairmont hotel (people who have stayed at the Fairmont have told me the staff does that) you need not go to the lower level of the cruise terminal. The same with luggage collected by the Pan Pacific. The lower level has the baggage drop-off area and it is also where wheelchair assistance is offered.  Those without luggage will be directed along the west side of Canada Place at street level to an entrance marked "cruise passengers." 

Another thing to remember about this underground passage is there are stairs at some point. I don't recall specifically what part of the tunnel has the stairs. I seem to recall it is worse going from the convention centre to the food court than in the other direction, though. If stairs are a problem you can go from the food court to the underground entrance of the Skytrain. An escalator will take you to  the street level right beside the cruise terminal entrance.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 6:15 PM, krisdamom said:

martincath & AlanF65

Yes, I accompanied my wife. It is a good thing I can walk quickly because it was a fairly long route and the chap pushing the wheelchair moved quickly.

The shore staff - employees of Intercruise - are not permitted to go on the ships.  So the passengers in a wheelchair will have to wait at the foot of the gangway for a crew member to come off the ship. At least for the Queen Elizabeth it was a very short distance to get up the gangway ramp to the boarding of the ship on the promenade deck and into a lobby where the lifts/elevators were. The same applied to our previous cruise on a similar Vista-class ship, the Noordam. My wife elected to walk (slowly) on board from that point as did some others. Similarly, it takes two people to get a person off a ship.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

The underground passage actually goes into the convention centre, but there is a large opening to the adjacent hotel lobby. If the luggage has been taken from the Fairmont hotel (people who have stayed at the Fairmont have told me the staff does that) you need not go to the lower level of the cruise terminal. The same with luggage collected by the Pan Pacific. The lower level has the baggage drop-off area and it is also where wheelchair assistance is offered.  Those without luggage will be directed along the west side of Canada Place at street level to an entrance marked "cruise passengers." 

Another thing to remember about this underground passage is there are stairs at some point. I don't recall specifically what part of the tunnel has the stairs. I seem to recall it is worse going from the convention centre to the food court than in the other direction, though. If stairs are a problem you can go from the food court to the underground entrance of the Skytrain. An escalator will take you to  the street level right beside the cruise terminal entrance.

Thank you so much for the information.  This is most helpful.