Average age and other questions

I’ve been reading a lot of threads in here recently and one common theme is that Celebrity has an older clientele. What is the average age?  We have booked our first Celebrity cruise so I’m not sure what to expect, other than few cruisers under 30 and far fewer children. Will most be 70+?

Is there live music in the bars at night?  A comedy club?

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

Celebrity does attract an older crowd. The average age of a Celebrity cruiser will be in the late fifties. 

Shorter cruises can attract younger guests. Caribbean cruises also attract younger cruises. On longer European and Asian cruises don't expect to find many young people onboard at all. 

You will find live music around the ship. And yes they have the odd comedian aboard. 

You'll probably read on here that Celebrity is trying to attract millennials these days. If that's true then they are failing miserably. I'd advise you ignore the models used by Celebrity's marketing department and watch a few recent videos on Youtube. You'll get a good idea on passenger demographics that way. 

23 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Celebrity does attract an older crowd. The average age of a Celebrity cruiser will be in the late fifties. 

Shorter cruises can attract younger guests. Caribbean cruises also attract younger cruises. On longer European and Asian cruises don't expect to find many young people onboard at all. 

You will find live music around the ship. And yes they have the odd comedian aboard. 

You'll probably read on here that Celebrity is trying to attract millennials these days. If that's true then they are failing miserably. I'd advise you ignore the models used by Celebrity's marketing department and watch a few recent videos on Youtube. You'll get a good idea on passenger demographics that way. 

21 minutes ago, JaneAustenCruiser said:

I'm just barely in my 50s and went on my first Celebrity cruise (and first cruise!) in Feb 2018. Most passengers were older than me, but I did see a nice mix of younger folks (30s-40s) too. Very few children, I will say that.

Personally, I loved it!

My husband and I are in our early-mid 50’s. I’m glad to hear there is live music. We enjoy going to a lounge, having a drink, listening to the music, and watching people dance.  We also enjoy the comedy shows and live productions. RCCL has been our favorite for entertainment, outside of the comedy club on Carnival, while we enjoyed the peace and quiet at the pool on Princess. 

Edited to add, we were completely pampered on NCL and loved their speciality restaurants. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising
Added a line.

We've done RCCL, Princess and Celebrity - with Celebrity being the one most frequented. 

I suspect you'll have plenty of folks in you age range (we are in that range as a matter of fact and have been sailing Celebrity for 20+ years).  As noted earlier this is very dependent on the itinerary and the length of the cruise.  On Caribbean, 7-night cruises we have found that there would be virtually no difference between the ages on the three cruise lines mentioned less the fact that on Celebrity there will be fewer children because of the lack of attractions for them.

The itinerary you mention will skew older than Caribbean but you will not feel like you are in a retirement community by any means.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sascol said:

We've done RCCL, Princess and Celebrity - with Celebrity being the one most frequented. 

I suspect you'll have plenty of folks in you age range (we are in that range as a matter of fact and have been sailing Celebrity for 20+ years).  As noted earlier this is very dependent on the itinerary and the length of the cruise.  On Caribbean, 7-night cruises we have found that there would be virtually no difference between the ages on the three cruise lines mentioned less the fact that on Celebrity there will be fewer children because of the lack of attractions for them.

The itinerary you mention will skew older than Caribbean but you will not feel like you are in a retirement community by any means.

That is what I was getting worried about. Lol When we sailed on Princess that’s how I felt. It didn’t help that we were seated at an 8 top, we were in our 40’s at the time, and everyone else was our parents age.   They were very nice, but we also wanted to hang out with some couples closer to our own age. 

Our 2 favorite cruises we’ve been on were the Oasis of the Seas and NCL. The entertainment was spectacular on RCCL compared to all others we’d been on. The ship was beautiful, and we are big wine drinkers so we loved going Vintages for a nice glass of wine.  

As for NCL we had bought passes to some special deck and were completely pampered there.  The few of us that were up there all became friends over the week. We had a wonderful time!

16 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Based on your personal description, I believe you will have a great time.

I wish you only the best.

I’m sure we will. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, 39august said:

No comedy clubs, just guest comedians doing a show. Not all cruises even feature one comedian,. Plenty of live music of various types all over in the evenings. 

I will miss not having a comedy club. We always looked forward to that. We also very much enjoy live music and shows (well I enjoy the shows, dh just comes along to make me happy. ☺️), so I’m sure we will find plenty to keep us entertained. 

15 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Celebrity will be similar to Princess

Princess was our least favorite at night, so hoping Celebrity will have better entertainment. It was also an older ship and kind of worn out looking, although the pool deck was very relaxing. However, we paid extra to be on that deck. 

Celebrity is not known for its evening entertainment.  Their production shows in particular are generally not that good.  It will be a much more sedate experience than RCCL or NCL overall...daytime & nighttime.  It's a very laid back experience, though there are usually places where you can find a few people who are having some fun, like the Martini Bar.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We will be on the Summit to Bermuda in Sept. 

We are late 40ies and 5 years ago did Summit to Bermuda in July.

We saw many people of our age. Probably about 400 folks under 18.

We are sailing this September and will see how it goes. By the way our cruise on RCCL(!) to Canada was our "oldest" out of all cruises. People (not 1 person. People) where celebrating 95 birthday and 60 years of marriage.  

I think Bermuda in September still attracts younger crowd. Less kids, but still.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We are late 40ies and 5 years ago did Summit to Bermuda in July.

We saw many people of our age. Probably about 400 folks under 18.

We are sailing this September and will see how it goes. By the way our cruise on RCCL(!) to Canada was our "oldest" out of all cruises. People (not 1 person. People) where celebrating 95 birthday and 60 years of marriage.  

I think Bermuda in September still attracts younger crowd. Less kids, but still.

Less kids is good!  I’m a teacher, so as much as I love my students, a week away from kids is a nice break!  

• Like 3

If you loved Oasis, I doubt you'll care much for Celebrity. You might want to re-think your plans. We are Pinnacle on RCI and have sailed Oasis class ships 3 times. As we have gotten older and don't travel with kids, we much prefer the more elegant ships and laid back atmosphere of Celebrity. 

Just now, 39august said:

If you loved Oasis, I doubt you'll care much for Celebrity. You might want to re-think your plans. We are Pinnacle on RCI and have sailed Oasis class ships 3 times. As we have gotten older and don't travel with kids, we much prefer the more elegant ships and laid back atmosphere of Celebrity. 

It’s too late now, we would lose most of our money as our cruise is in less than 70 days. We loved Central Park, Vintages, the entertainment, and speciality restaurants. We did not care so much for the crowded, loud pool decks. And our children are grown. We will be traveling alone, celebrating our anniversary. 

My non-scientific observation has been, the longer the cruise, the older the average age.  On longer Celebrity cruises, I've sometimes felt that I was on a nursing home ship.  I also see the same rush to eat early by more of the older crowd at Blu and lined up for the "anytime" dining, similar to what I see at restaurants at home here in Florida.   The average age of the people around you will depend somewhat upon the time of day and the location/activity.  Not surprisingly, you'll find a younger average age around the pool and in the bars.  Even on the longer cruises the average age tends to trend downward after the 9PM show ends, as the older crowd seems to, in general,  be more "early to bed, early to rise." 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That’s disappointing to hear. So what do people do at night on Celebrity?

We've enjoyed the majority of the entertainment at night in the big theater.  We tend to go to the 9PM show and then go chill in Cafe al Bacio or hang out for a while at the World Class Bar or Martini Bar.  The Martini Bar is usually the most lively, so it depends on what mood we're in.   We might go listen to the band in the Grand Foyer.  The band varies from cruise to cruise, as does the style and perceived quality.  You may love it on this cruise and it may not be to your liking on the next.  The band on the Eclipse last year was one of the best and most versatile  bands we've seen.   It can be fun to either dance or watch others dance.  The "Silent Disco" is very popular.  One thing I miss from Carnival is having a dedicated piano bar.

Edited by SunsetPoint
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

We've enjoyed the majority of the entertainment at night in the big theater.  We tend to go to the 9PM show and then go chill in Cafe al Bacio or hang out for a while at the World Class Bar or Martini Bar.  The Martini Bar is usually the most lively, so it depends on what mood we're in.   We might go listen to the band in the Grand Foyer.  The band varies from cruise to cruise, as does the style and perceived quality.  You may love it on this cruise and it may not be to your liking on the next.  The band on the Eclipse last year was one of the best and most versatile  bands we've seen.   It can be fun to either dance or watch others dance.  The "Silent Disco" is very popular.  One thing I miss from Carnival is having a dedicated piano bar.

We enjoyed the Martini bar on Carnival. The drinks we delicious and there was a live band with people dancing right next to it. I’m a terrible dancer, so outside of my own home I enjoy watching others do it. 🤫

I find it very strange that celebrity does not have a piano bar like almost all other cruise lines, only piano we saw on last couple of cruises was in micheals the suite lounge but there was nobody there to play it. Shows can be hit or miss.