Beware of the MSC Upgrade bid program

Valkyrie

On 6/27/2019 at 8:20 AM, Até said:

Q. What happens with the promotions I already have if I am upgraded through MSC UpGrade?
A. You get to keep the promotions you already have based on the stateroom category originally booked. However, no additional promotions will be added to your reservation.

That will definitely be interesting.  FAQ clearly states you don't get any additional "promotions".  I assume that also means perks of the cabin.  Otherwise that would be one heck of a deal at $115pp to get the YC cabin plus the YC drinks package.

"Promotions" are what are used to sell a cruise "experience" is what you pay for - there seems to be a lot of people on this thread confusing the two.

I recently received a bid opportunity from MSC on an upcoming cruise. We typically cruise 5-7 times per year so we do it on the cheap......inside cabins. On MSC, that would be a Bella inside cabin.

The reason I did not bid on an outside cabin or balcony is because you never know where you're going to end up. My current inside cabin was well-thought out with cabins above me and below me. Based on where outside cabins are on these ships, there's a good chance of public rooms being above and/or below. I don't want a dining room or lounge anywhere near me so I can't take that chance. Not complaining, I just want to express the logic in not going for a cheap upgrade. We'll stay in our cozy.....and quiet.....cabin.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 7:02 AM, Beamafar said:

That's where you're wrong.  Had you read of others' experiences reported here over the years when upgraded to a YC cabin, some were denied the benefits and others were allowed to pay a small sum to the concierge once onboard to enjoy the YC enclave.

As this is the first reported bid since the policy was implemented, it's still not as clear as it should be of what the wording means. As someone who has sailed in YC several times (with the next 3 bookings being YC ones) and having done 21 MSC cruises so far, I'm reasonably familiar with how MSC operates.

Is bidding for an upgrade and paying extra for it the same as MSC upgrading your cabin.  In that instance it is just a cabin upgrade not an experience upgrade.  The "promotions" mentioned in the upgrade conditions appear to speak only of things that are included in the selling such as free wifi - free dining package - they are promotions not experiences.  There is no mention of experience so I would assume it is included in a upgrade bid but not in an MSC upgrade cabin move where you dont pay any extra.

3 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

Is bidding for an upgrade and paying extra for it the same as MSC upgrading your cabin.  In that instance it is just a cabin upgrade not an experience upgrade.  The "promotions" mentioned in the upgrade conditions appear to speak only of things that are included in the selling such as free wifi - free dining package - they are promotions not experiences.  There is no mention of experience so I would assume it is included in a upgrade bid but not in an MSC upgrade cabin move where you dont pay any extra.

Our first cruise on MSC Divina we were given a complimentary upgrade from our aft facing balcony on deck 11 to a deluxe balcony suite on deck 15 in the Yacht Club. 
As a result of the upgrade we were also given all of the included benefits of the YC. It was pretty incredible. 

We didn’t bid on an upgrade but for some reason they chose us.
We were given a letter from the Captain welcoming us to MSC and wishing us an enjoyable cruise in the YC. 

We assumed since it was our first time they were hoping to win us over so we would sail with them again. 

It worked. We’re sailing on Divina again a month from today. 

• Like 3

On 3/3/2020 at 5:36 PM, vdh77 said:

Thank you for the super fast response!

Since you said that the only thing you didn't get was drinks outside of Yacht Club, I am assuming you were able to eat at the Yacht Club restaurant?

Did they let you use the other Yacht club amenities, like the thermal spa?

Thanks!

I don't see how they can tell who upgraded, and who paid outright.  YC is an awesome experience.

Nobody ever questioned us or denied us a drink in bars outside of the YC 

Our butler explained everything that was included on day 1 when he came to meet us. If he knew we were upgraded for free he didn’t let on that he knew. 

I think that would put the butlers and other employees in a very awkward position to have that kind of information. 

On 10/15/2021 at 11:52 PM, styles27 said:

Nobody ever questioned us or denied us a drink in bars outside of the YC 

Our butler explained everything that was included on day 1 when he came to meet us. If he knew we were upgraded for free he didn’t let on that he knew. 

I think that would put the butlers and other employees in a very awkward position to have that kind of information. 

They need that information if everything isn't included. Most of the time I think that everything is included but when it isn't, they need to know.

37 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

They need that information if everything isn't included. Most of the time I think that everything is included but when it isn't, they need to know.

Oh of course because not everyone has included drinks but my point is we paid for Fantastica no drinks but we received free drinks with our free YC upgrade at all of the bars we went to on the ship. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I bid to upgrade to YC deluxe suite from a fantastical balcony on our seashore cruise in December 2021 and won at I think a bid of $850 pp. it was super worth it. YC was awesome including the YC restaurant at ocean cay. I’m thinking of booking a YC inside and hoping to get to bid to a balcony. Any feedback on inside YC if we don’t win our bid? Any one successful bidding from YC inside to a balcony?

3 hours ago, edepa said:

I bid to upgrade to YC deluxe suite from a fantastical balcony on our seashore cruise in December 2021 and won at I think a bid of $850 pp. it was super worth it. YC was awesome including the YC restaurant at ocean cay. I’m thinking of booking a YC inside and hoping to get to bid to a balcony. Any feedback on inside YC if we don’t win our bid? Any one successful bidding from YC inside to a balcony?

My first YC was inside. This was Seaside, but I believe Seashore is similar. It's definitely small...there is little closet space...the bathroom is super tiny - I'm 6'1" and I have to shift my legs to the side when sitting down. Since then I've done Deluxe on Seaside, Mera, and Divina.

That being said, I'm going on the Seashore in a few weeks and booked an inside YC. Why? Because it was $2K cheaper. While all of the above things suck, it wasn't worth $2K to me...YMMV.

Almost immediately I got an offer to upgrade to YC Deluxe. It was about $1800...if I look now it is about $1500. Still not quite worth it...the reality is other than sleeping I'm never there. So I will suck it up with the closets (I live out of my suitcase anyway...so my wife can have the entire thing) and the bathroom.

Any discomfort in my room will evaporate once I hit Top Sail 🙂

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Update:

The bid for an upgrade website page on MSC now explains that you do get the entire experience if you upgrade to a Yacht Club Cabin, see #3 below:

In just a few clicks, you can submit an offer to upgrade your stateroom on your upcoming cruise.

1. Browse through the stateroom options below and select the amount you're willing to pay for an upgrade to each. Making offers on multiple rooms will increase your chances of getting upgraded, but you'll only ever pay for one upgrade.
  2. We'll notify you via email if your request for an upgrade has been approved. If your offer is accepted, you'll be charged for the upgrade. If not, you pay nothing and keep the stateroom you have.
    Offers are priced per person based on two occupants per stateroom for the entire duration of the cruise - only the first and second guest will be charged.
  3. In the case of a Winning Bid in “Aurea” or “Yacht Club” Experience. In these cases, the Guests will also be guaranteed all the benefits relative to the new experience. All services that have been purchased and / or prepaid before the Winning Bid event for an upgrade in "Aurea" or "Yacht Club" experience will not be refunded if the same service, of the same or higher quality, is included in the new experience resulting from the Winning Bid.

• 4 weeks later...

I am really confused about #3 above. Are there two different upgrage programs? Like 'Upgrade Stateroom' and 'Updgrade experience'?

I have received upgrade stateroom bid invite to Aurea suites (originally booked in Fantastica OceanView). Would this upgrade comes with Free drinks package of Aurea (or is there any such with Aurea these days?). 

Experts, please help.

On 3/21/2022 at 4:41 PM, alyssamma said:

My first YC was inside. This was Seaside, but I believe Seashore is similar. It's definitely small...there is little closet space...the bathroom is super tiny - I'm 6'1" and I have to shift my legs to the side when sitting down. Since then I've done Deluxe on Seaside, Mera, and Divina.

That being said, I'm going on the Seashore in a few weeks and booked an inside YC. Why? Because it was $2K cheaper. While all of the above things suck, it wasn't worth $2K to me...YMMV.

Almost immediately I got an offer to upgrade to YC Deluxe. It was about $1800...if I look now it is about $1500. Still not quite worth it...the reality is other than sleeping I'm never there. So I will suck it up with the closets (I live out of my suitcase anyway...so my wife can have the entire thing) and the bathroom.

Any discomfort in my room will evaporate once I hit Top Sail 🙂

Just to give another data point, once I got on the ship I went to the YC concierge and asked to upgrade to a YC deluxe. They said $500 and I said, sold!

• Like 1