Beware of the MSC Upgrade bid program

Valkyrie

But you still have a choice- you may need to pay more for that choice, but the choice exists. Basic economics. Makes perfect sense to me. 

In fairness to MSc, we have no way of knowing if they will jack up pricing. You may still get your choice at “standard pricing” while I get a discount for being flexible. Another win win 🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

In fairness to MSc, we have no way of knowing if they will jack up pricing. You may still get your choice at “standard pricing” while I get a discount for being flexible. Another win win 🙂

They must jack up pricing if it shall be win for MSC too. I haven't seen it yet but I'm afraid that it will come.  

13 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

But you still have a choice- you may need to pay more for that choice, but the choice exists. Basic economics. Makes perfect sense to me. 

I don’t consider ‘paying more’ to be a ‘choice’.  

If that comes about, my ‘choice’ will be another line. (We have already left NCL du to its practices.)

Let’s hope for that ‘win-win’ but I don’t think that is how the bidding model makes sense for the line...

Edited by TrinaLC
  • Like 1

Perhaps I'm uninformed but I don't necessarily think that MSC has a nefarious motive for the bidding program such as intentionally holding out cabins in a certain category and enticing people to compete for them as a device to drive up prices for those cabins.  Could it simply be a reasonable "best business practice"?   

The reason I tend to think this is because I am booked for an MSC cruise in August.  I recently happened to check the prices for that cruise and saw that balconies and oceanviews were available only as guarantees, not for direct booking.  However, some YC interiors and even some YC balconies were still available....apparently, the YC wasn't filled.  Seemed to me that MSC needed to find a way to open up some more balconies and oceanviews if they were going to be able to honor those guaranteed bookings.  A couple of days later, I received an offer to bid for an upgrade to the YC.  My guess is that there must not have been potential customers willing to pay the full YC price for those cabins.

So, the bidding process enables the cruiseline to "move" a few passengers to rooms that, for some reason, have been left unbooked and possibly could go empty.  Although the cruiseline won't receive the full "asking price" for those cabins, the bidding process generates at least some additional revenue for the line....something that simply offering free upgrades to already booked passengers would not accomplish.   But even more importantly, that also allows the cruiseline to open up standard interiors, oceanviews, and balconies for which there may be waiting and interested customers.   And, of course, the more people they can get onboard, the more people there are to buy drinks, purchase excursions, and pay gratuities.

Furthermore, I once saw a TV program on  CNBC called "Big Money on the High Seas" in which NCL exec Andy Stewart was interviewed.  I recall him saying that alcohol and other onboard purchases account for a significant degree of the profit for a cruise.  It's all about getting people on the ship because they know people will buy drinks, jewelry, perfume and specialty restaurant dinners.  So, allowing cabins to go empty is simply unacceptable from a business standpoint.    The article at the following website states that about 28% of revenue from a cruise comes from such sources.

https://www.cruzely.com/heres-how-much-money-cruise-ships-make-off-every-passenger-infographic/ 

To the more informed, this all may be obvious but I'm still learning!

Edited by Bluewake
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Bluewake said:

Perhaps I'm uninformed but I don't necessarily think that MSC has a nefarious motive for the bidding program such as intentionally holding out cabins in a certain category and enticing people to compete for them as a device to drive up prices for those cabins.  Could it simply be a reasonable "best business practice"?   

The reason I tend to think this is because I am booked for an MSC cruise in August.  I recently happened to check the prices for that cruise and saw that balconies and oceanviews were available only as guarantees, not for direct booking.  However, some YC interiors and even some YC balconies were still available....apparently, the YC wasn't filled.  Seemed to me that MSC needed to find a way to open up some more balconies and oceanviews if they were going to be able to honor those guaranteed bookings.  A couple of days later, I received an offer to bid for an upgrade to the YC.  My guess is that there must not have been potential customers willing to pay the full YC price for those cabins.

So, the bidding process enables the cruiseline to "move" a few passengers to rooms that, for some reason, have been left unbooked and possibly could go empty.  Although the cruiseline won't receive the full "asking price" for those cabins, the bidding process generates at least some additional revenue for the line....something that simply offering free upgrades to already booked passengers would not accomplish.   But even more importantly, that also allows the cruiseline to open up standard interiors, oceanviews, and balconies for which there may be waiting and interested customers.   And, of course, the more people they can get onboard, the more people there are to buy drinks, purchase excursions, and pay gratuities.

Furthermore, I once saw a TV program on  CNBC called "Big Money on the High Seas" in which NCL exec Andy Stewart was interviewed.  I recall him saying that alcohol and other onboard purchases account for a significant degree of the profit for a cruise.  It's all about getting people on the ship because they know people will buy drinks, jewelry, perfume and specialty restaurant dinners.  So, allowing cabins to go empty is simply unacceptable from a business standpoint.    The article at the following website states that about 28% of revenue from a cruise comes from such sources.

https://www.cruzely.com/heres-how-much-money-cruise-ships-make-off-every-passenger-infographic/ 

To the more informed, this all may be obvious but I'm still learning!

As far as the show with Andy Stuart and NCL, it was a long time ago and things at NCL have changed radically where they tend to grab more cash up front with people taking packages with surcharges and drink packages so less from onboard.

MSC somewhere in between with some options of packages up front and otherwise still looking for onboard spend.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:47 PM, TrinaLC said:

That is the beauty of it for *you*. For those like me, it means increased cost for what used to be standard means of pricing/picking. 

I believe all the new, bigger, more expensive ships...as well as the surge in cruising as a preferred method for vacationing, is what is driving up the prices...Not a bidding system.

Yes cruise prices have increased significantly the last few years...but so has the number of new ships/attractions/activities offered by the cruise lines, and so has the number of cruise passengers year over year.  

Supply and Demand.  If the cruise companies were charging X and the ship was sold out...and then charges X + 10% and it still sells out...and now charging X + 20% and it is still selling out...why should they stop raising prices?  Once the demand slows down, and ships aren't sailing at full capacity, that's when prices will stop raising.  

Nothing to do with someone bidding on a room.  It's not like YC are the only ones more expensive.  Every room category has increased, on all lines, even those without a bid program.  

Edited by MrMike45
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrMike45 said:

Yes cruise prices have increased significantly the last few years...but so has the number of new ships/attractions/activities offered by the cruise lines, and so has the number of cruise passengers year over year.  

The Havenprices on the Epic ncreased a lot exactly when the bidding system started. I have no proof that the bidding system has anything to do about it  I don't know for sure about the other ships because the Epic was what I was looking for then.

2 hours ago, MrMike45 said:

Supply and Demand.  If the cruise companies were charging X and the ship was sold out...and then charges X + 10% and it still sells out...and now charging X + 20% and it is still selling out...why should they stop raising prices?  Once the demand slows down, and ships aren't sailing at full capacity, that's when prices will stop raising.  

The problem is if they raise the prices for thoose who know what they want and book that cabin and lower the price for thoose prepared to gamble and book something cheaper and hope for an upgrade.

If all cabins are sold at the new higher price it makes sense because then the new higher price is the "supply and demand" price. If some cabins are left for bidding the new price was set too high. 

So far MSC hasn't raised the prices a lot, like NCL did, so maybe there is nothing to worry about.

I think this has been beaten to death already personally, and I don't want to get back into another long discussion.  If someone can prove to me that MSC (or any cruise line) is holding back rooms for people to bid on and drive up the price, then I will change my opinion.  Likewise, if someone can show me that only YC rooms are increasing in cost, while for example, Bella/Fantasica inside/balcony rooms are remaining stagnant, I will change my opinion.  

But it is my belief that prices are going up across the board.  All cruise lines.  All category of rooms or experiences.  In general, cruising has become more expensive, period.  And I do not believe that is due to bidding at all.  I believe it is just the supply/demand, economy, the cruise lines paying for their new billion dollar ships, and in general, a company charging the max. it can without diminishing sales.  

Happens with everything.  Iphones used to be $299...now they are nearly $2000.  Apple doesn't seem to be hurting for customers do they?  If sales suddenly dropped...do you think the next model would go up in cost?  Why should MSC, NCL, etc. be any different? 

Edited by MrMike45
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MrMike45 said:

I think this has been beaten to death already personally, and I don't want to get back into another long discussion.  If someone can prove to me that MSC (or any cruise line) is holding back rooms for people to bid on and drive up the price, then I will change my opinion.  Likewise, if someone can show me that only YC rooms are increasing in cost, while for example, Bella/Fantasica inside/balcony rooms are remaining stagnant, I will change my opinion.  

I agree with you about it been beaten to death and I don't want the long discussion, again.

I don't think that they hold back rooms for people to bid on, shouldn't that be stupid of them? I think that NCL have raised the prices and hope to sell all cabins for the new, higher, price but what they can't sell people can bid on.

As I said before I haven't seen the big increases on MSC, get.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can say from my own experiences that once you have a cabin ( any type ) in the YC enclave you will have all the perks that the YC offers.

On my booking on the MSC Meraviglia the booked Fantastica innercabin was free upgraded to YC inner cabin. You will have access to the YC restaurant, TSL, private pool/jacuzzi etc. Even the sauna area was complemetary. And of course the free drinks.

• Like 1

Just as an FYI - I found this when looking up something for myself.  We had bought fantastica Oceanview.  Bid on a Suite upgrade, and got an Aurea suite.  So, if you're booking a Bella inside, and you bid on a suite, you will still only be entitled to Bella level experience perks.  

16. If the Guests purchases an Upgrade which is accepted by MSC Cruises SA, all other conditions of the original cruise reservation will remain in effect following the Upgrade. This includes conditions, experience, pertaining to cancellation, penalties, and changes. If the upgrade cabin category includes a higher service charge amount, the guests occupying the upgraded cabin will be charged the service charge amount applicable to the upgraded cabin. 

17. The Upgrade does not include any additional promotions. Guests whose upgrade bid is accepted will receive the experience level included with their original reservation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saxkid said:

Just as an FYI - I found this when looking up something for myself.  We had bought fantastica Oceanview.  Bid on a Suite upgrade, and got an Aurea suite.  So, if you're booking a Bella inside, and you bid on a suite, you will still only be entitled to Bella level experience perks.  

16. If the Guests purchases an Upgrade which is accepted by MSC Cruises SA, all other conditions of the original cruise reservation will remain in effect following the Upgrade. This includes conditions, experience, pertaining to cancellation, penalties, and changes. If the upgrade cabin category includes a higher service charge amount, the guests occupying the upgraded cabin will be charged the service charge amount applicable to the upgraded cabin. 

17. The Upgrade does not include any additional promotions. Guests whose upgrade bid is accepted will receive the experience level included with their original reservation. 

So what they say, if your information is from MSC, is that the experience isn't upgraded. That doesn't necessary mean that is what will happen on the ship!

6 days till we get on the ship 🙂 We were assigned YC cabin 16023. The minimum bid for a upgrade from our YC inside to YC Balcony is now $340 per person. I will post if we really do get the yacht club benefits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

6 days till we get on the ship 🙂 We were assigned YC cabin 16023. The minimum bid for a upgrade from our YC inside to YC Balcony is now $340 per person. I will post if we really do get the yacht club benefits.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

I was curious how quickly you received an email back that your bid was accepted? We already booked the YC deluxe suite, so we bid on the royal suite back in May 2019 a few days after we booked the cruise. We leave on 8/24 and still haven't heard anything. Thanks in advance! 

I'll stick my $0.02 in here...

the ridiculous prices on NCL is what drove my wife and I to MSC, and further to the YC.  For a sailing next summer in the Haven on the Encore, it was going to cost a minimum $4k pp for the cheapest room.  Within the YC, we were able to book an inside room at a lower rate than a bare bones balcony with no frills would have cost us on NCL.  Which is fine, it comes with more perks, I'm willing to pay a little more for it.

What I will not pay for is to be gouged up front for the opportunity to choose what I want.  I'm already paying multiple thousands on a vacation, I do not want to be nickel and dimed along with it.  And NCL doesn't even fill up the Haven in all of their sailings because of how high a price they set.  MSC has it right, set a reasonable price, people will buy it up, and it'll be a selling point in getting people within the brand.  For the prices that NCL charges, you're better off sailing on a smaller, actual luxury ship, and not a 'ship within a ship'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

I'll stick my $0.02 in here...

the ridiculous prices on NCL is what drove my wife and I to MSC, and further to the YC.  For a sailing next summer in the Haven on the Encore, it was going to cost a minimum $4k pp for the cheapest room.  Within the YC, we were able to book an inside room at a lower rate than a bare bones balcony with no frills would have cost us on NCL.  Which is fine, it comes with more perks, I'm willing to pay a little more for it.

What I will not pay for is to be gouged up front for the opportunity to choose what I want.  I'm already paying multiple thousands on a vacation, I do not want to be nickel and dimed along with it.  And NCL doesn't even fill up the Haven in all of their sailings because of how high a price they set.  MSC has it right, set a reasonable price, people will buy it up, and it'll be a selling point in getting people within the brand.  For the prices that NCL charges, you're better off sailing on a smaller, actual luxury ship, and not a 'ship within a ship'.

I don't think this is an apples to apples comparison, as to the best of my knowledge, there are no inside Haven rooms.  All are balcony rooms, and most are considerably bigger than your average room and balcony.  A YC inside room vs. a Haven balcony room is not a fair comparison.  

What would a YC balcony room with comparable size have cost in comparison to that same Haven room you priced out?  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

I don't think this is an apples to apples comparison, as to the best of my knowledge, there are no inside Haven rooms.  All are balcony rooms, and most are considerably bigger than your average room and balcony.  A YC inside room vs. a Haven balcony room is not a fair comparison.  

What would a YC balcony room with comparable size have cost in comparison to that same Haven room you priced out?  

I haven't looked today but when I compare the price between one of the cheaper Haven suites and the "standard" Yach Club suite the difference usually is at least $2500 for a one week cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivy23kris said:

I was curious how quickly you received an email back that your bid was accepted? We already booked the YC deluxe suite, so we bid on the royal suite back in May 2019 a few days after we booked the cruise. We leave on 8/24 and still haven't heard anything. Thanks in advance! 

It was about 1 month later. Good luck.