Sharing Internet?

richmke

I booked the 4 device unlimited internet, but I only have 3 devices. I've seen other posts about giving their internet to a crew member when they leave the ship. How about giving the crew member the 4th device during the entire cruise?

46 minutes ago, richmke said:

I booked the 4 device unlimited internet, but I only have 3 devices. I've seen other posts about giving their internet to a crew member when they leave the ship. How about giving the crew member the 4th device during the entire cruise?

They probably have their own monthly package already.  Find a friend?

6 hours ago, richmke said:

I or we ?

33 minutes ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Don't know if that would work.  Logging in requires stateroom number and birthday.

So true.  You would need someone in the same cabin as the package charged to who was not using the internet and then use that as a login.

10 hours ago, richmke said:

It would probably work except for the fact that most of them already have the unlimited internet package for $60 per month and they're closely monitored to make sure they don't share their package amount other crew members. 

If the crew member doesn't have it, then offer it to them. 

A general question relating to sharing. Is the internet tied to 1 device for the entire cruise or can I buy the 1 device plan and then flip between devices as needed? We don't need to have all our devices on-line 24x7, but would like to flip between the laptop and our cell phones as required. 

I realize that you can only have 1 device online at a time. On HAL its even really easy. If another device is online when you try and connect the other, it gives you the option to disconnect it and switch the service to the new one. EasyPeazy!

6 minutes ago, drowelf said:

I realize that you can only have 1 device online at a time. On HAL its even really easy. If another device is online when you try and connect the other, it gives you the option to disconnect it and switch the service to the new one. EasyPeazy!

Same with MedallionNet.

IMG_1732.PNG

Yes, thanks again!  This is the way Carnival also manages their unlimited internet plan.  We will be going on Princess next year to Alaska and are considering the 4 device plan to share with our 2 adult daughters that will be traveling with us.  If they are in the cabin next to ours it shouldn't be a issue right?  This seems like the most economical plan to use for 4 different users.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13cheermom said:

Yes, thanks again!  This is the way Carnival also manages their unlimited internet plan.  We will be going on Princess next year to Alaska and are considering the 4 device plan to share with our 2 adult daughters that will be traveling with us.  If they are in the cabin next to ours it shouldn't be a issue right?  This seems like the most economical plan to use for 4 different users.  

You got it!  Yes, economical.  It will be enlightening to see responses on the situation with two cabins since login is by name, cabin, birth date and if you buy a package on account B312, and someone is logging in from B314, then it would not work.  I would say, if allowed, the Internet Cafe Manager, has to set it up to work. 

But isn't it a moot point anyway?  Prices I have seen lately indicate that a 4 device plan is the same price as two single plans.  So if every one in the family gets their own, it is same cost.

Edited by steelers36

13 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

You got it!  Yes, economical.  It will be enlightening to see responses on the situation with two cabins since login is by name, cabin, birth date and if you buy a package on account B312, and someone is logging in from B314, then it would not work.  I would say, if allowed, the Internet Cafe Manager, has to set it up to work. 

But isn't it a moot point anyway?  Prices I have seen lately indicate that a 4 device plan is the same price as two single plans.  So if every one in the family gets their own, it is same cost.

Oh okay, hadn't really thought about the different cabin log-on situation.  Also someone had posted a 4 device plan price vs individual and I thought it was a better offer, maybe I was wrong?  But some good points to consider, thanks!

21 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Oopsies.  I guess it is too early in the morning for math.  Back to seeing if Internet policy will allow two separate cabins for a family.

52 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Oopsies.  I guess it is too early in the morning for math.  Back to seeing if Internet policy will allow two separate cabins for a family.

I could have misunderstood the pricing previously.  This is our first cruise with Princess, so all new to us and trying to figure out as we go along.  The EZ-Air was also a new one for us, but hopefully it will yield a little savings over the next year.  While it's interesting to read and research to learn the Princess ways, it's a lot less stressful when sailing a cruise line for the past 10 years and understanding their policies and procedures, 😂.  Thanks for all the input!

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

why wouldn't the people in 314 just use the same log-in info as the people in 312? how would Princess 'know' which device is associated with which cabin ??

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

why wouldn't the people in 314 just use the same log-in info as the people in 312? how would Princess 'know' which device is associated with which cabin ??

It's not the devices - it's the login.  Login uses cabin number and birthdates of occupants as part of the authentication, so the other two family members in the other cabin will not be registered as valid users.   

5 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

It's not the devices - it's the login.  Login uses cabin number and birthdates of occupants as part of the authentication, so the other two family members in the other cabin will not be registered as valid users.   

but... i'm in 314, but ... i'm using the exact same log-in info as you are in 312,since you gave me that info to use ???

again, how does the internet know it isn't you just logging on with another of you devices ?

can the same person be logged in at the same time on 2 different devices ... say a personal device and a business device ???

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

but... i'm in 314, but ... i'm using the exact same log-in info as you are in 312,since you gave me that info to use ???

again, how does the internet know it isn't you just logging on with another of you devices ?

can the same person be logged in at the same time on 2 different devices ... say a personal device and a business device ???

Okay, I see your point, but the OP is about having four family members using a plan and my presumption is that multiple - even all four - are on at once, which is what that plan is about.  Yes, anyone can login using another person's credentials if shared, but the original person cannot be logged in at the same time.   I do not believe that the plan for four people uses the same login - but maybe it does.  Maybe that is my missing thought - if one purchases the four device plan, it means you have the SAME login for all four devices.  If that is the case, then sure it doesn't matter which cabin.  I was thinking in the mind-set of my wife and I where we each have our own login and we also each have smartphone and PC, so we can each only be logged into one device at a time, but we have separate plan, so we each have our own login.  In the case of a 4 device plan, IDK if it is ONE login or FOUR logins - probably ONE now that I think about it and your questions.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Thats what the DW and I did when on HAL. She just logs onto her device as me and then she has internet access for the 15-30 minutes a day she needs to browse emails and get her game updates. 

Cheers, 

I believe that when you get login for 1 device, you can log into 100 different devices throughout the cruise but never be logged in on more then 1 device at a time.  If you try to log into a second device while still logged into one device a page will pop up to tell you you are already logged into a device and would you like to cancel that login.  If you answer yes it will end the old login and allow you to log into the new device.  If you answer nbo, it will not allow you to log into the new device.

If you get login for 4 devices, you should be able to create 4 different sign ins.  If it asked for a cabin number and date of birth you can use the same cabin number and date of birth of the person that purchased the account, but use a different user id and password.  You are not restricted to use the devices only in your cabin but all throughout the ship, so no one will know who is signing on at any given device.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, famski740 said:

I believe that when you get login for 1 device, you can log into 100 different devices throughout the cruise but never be logged in on more then 1 device at a time.  If you try to log into a second device while still logged into one device a page will pop up to tell you you are already logged into a device and would you like to cancel that login.  If you answer yes it will end the old login and allow you to log into the new device.  If you answer nbo, it will not allow you to log into the new device.

If you get login for 4 devices, you should be able to create 4 different sign ins.  If it asked for a cabin number and date of birth you can use the same cabin number and date of birth of the person that purchased the account, but use a different user id and password.  You are not restricted to use the devices only in your cabin but all throughout the ship, so no one will know who is signing on at any given device.

I've never had more than 1 device but I've always assumed it work the way you describe.

It only make sense. 

5 hours ago, famski740 said:

Thanks, I'm the OP of this, and after thinking about it the makes the most sense.  On Carnival even when my husband and I share single internet the folio # and bd is from the first person who signs in to the account and you always have to use that bd for login purposes.  Hoping that like you stated all 4 would have their own login for each device so that we all could be on the same time if needed.  

15 hours ago, steelers36 said:

They just need to sign in as the person who paid for the four devices using that person's user name and password.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, caribill said:

They just need to sign in as the person who paid for the four devices using that person's user name and password.

On our last cruise, one of our table companions mother died. We gave them one of our internet packages to use. Just set up the account, password and let them contact home and family. Nice to help someone. 🙂

• Like 1