Remember how people were telling me to keep my Studio?

PortFees45

I booked a Sailaway Inside for the Escape Bermuda cruise this Sunday at a bargain basement rate, and they stuck me in a studio. I complained, and people posted I should be grateful for access to a sad windowless lounge with stale cookies and the privilege of showering in my bedroom. 

Well I made NCL switch me to an actual inside booking, AND I JUST GOT UPGRADED TO A BALCONY which would have been impossible if I'd kept the original booking. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, cruisekitty22 said:

You got lucky. Enjoy your cruise.

To be clear I had to pay to bid on an upgrade, but its' still a hell of a lot less than a solo balcony over the 4th of July would normally cost

Congrats, it seems balcony bids are easy to on the Escape because there are so many of those on that ship. 

I hadn't considered that upgrade game... It didn't show the option when it was assigned a Studio? Did you get assigned an Inside room or was it still on Inside guarantee?

Edited by CookieShip

14 minutes ago, CookieShip said:

Congrats, it seems balcony bids are easy to on the Escape because there are so many of those on that ship. 

I hadn't considered that upgrade game... It didn't show the option when it was assigned a Studio? Did you get assigned an Inside room or was it still on Inside guarantee?

You can't bid if you are in a studio cabin.  That is another reason not to book one if you think you would want a bigger cabin. 

33 minutes ago, CookieShip said:

I booked an Inside Sailaway...they put in a Studio, and I demanded to be changed to at least the lowest category inside. Studio is a separate lower category than inside....nobody who books an inside should be booked in a studio unless they request it. 

I traded straight across, same price, from a studio to an aft balcony on Getaway a few years back. 

At the time it seemed like a no brainer, but I ended up regretting it, there was a lot of engine vibration aft, as well as noise from Spice2O, and for some reason the solo coordinator kept the studio solos separate from the non-studio solos (which they did NOT do on the Escape.) 

First off, good for you!!!  As one of my bosses used to say, "The squeaking wheel gets the grease!"

I'm surprised they put you in a Studio, however for the GTY Inside bargain basement rate you said you got!  Usually the Studios sell out first so I'm surprised they had one left to assign to you.  However, you're now in a Balcony so enjoy the view in Kings Wharf!!

48 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

First off, good for you!!!  As one of my bosses used to say, "The squeaking wheel gets the grease!"

I'm surprised they put you in a Studio, however for the GTY Inside bargain basement rate you said you got!  Usually the Studios sell out first so I'm surprised they had one left to assign to you.  However, you're now in a Balcony so enjoy the view in Kings Wharf!!

As of about one week ago, this sailing had at least 28-30 studio cabins available. (As visible on a TA site that shows all inventory.) They all disappeared in the space of a day or two, right around the time OP posted that he’d been assigned to one. 

My theory: this is a family heavy sailing, not many solos.

Therefore, moving single sailors who are in a double inside room to studios accomplishes two things: 1) fills up studios, 2), frees up double rooms that could be booked by more than one paying customer. So they bumped a bunch of GTY inside solos into the actual studios to make room for more bodies in the regular insides.

This is also probably why they don’t let you bid on upgrades from solo studios, or even pay for an upgrade to a GTY higher category. If there’s any chance that a room can contain more than one potential source of onboard spend, that’s what they want. 

Edited by perditax

1 hour ago, perditax said:

As of about one week ago, this sailing had at least 28-30 studio cabins available. (As visible on a TA site that shows all inventory.) They all disappeared in the space of a day or two, right around the time OP posted that he’d been assigned to one. 

Therefore, moving single sailors who are in a double inside room to studios accomplishes two things: 1) fills up studios, 2), frees up double rooms that could be booked by more than one paying customer. So they bumped a bunch of GTY inside solos into the actual studios to make room for more bodies in the regular insides.

This is also probably why they don’t let you bid on upgrades from solo studios, or even pay for an upgrade to a GTY higher category. If there’s any chance that a room can contain more than one potential source of onboard spend, that’s what they want. 

OH how I wish I could see full inventory instead of just the 15 max you see on NCL's website. 

3 hours ago, perditax said:

Also this is a good theory, but why does NCL think they can get away with this? I guess most people don't complain, or buy that nonsense about the studio somehow being an "upgrade"? 

If NCL wants to do this, they need to make it much clearer (as in more clear than literally not at all) that they consider a TI a higher category than IX.

7 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

OH how I wish I could see full inventory instead of just the 15 max you see on NCL's website. 

And if this site didn’t have bizarre rules about not letting people private-message each other, I’d tell you how. 🙂

3 minutes ago, perditax said:

And if this site didn’t have bizarre rules about not letting people private-message each other, I’d tell you how. 🙂

You can be creative by using words that rhythm with the website.

I do agree about not having an IM formate, that's why FB has become popular with group pages. 

Interact with who who you want.

58 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

You can be creative by using words that rhythm with the website.

I do agree about not having an IM formate, that's why FB has become popular with group pages. 

Interact with who who you want.

Exactly! Perditax if you'd like to tell me a little poem that I'm sure has nothing to do with this subject, please rhyme away!

7 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Exactly! Perditax if you'd like to tell me a little poem that I'm sure has nothing to do with this subject, please rhyme away!

Not so much a poem, but some people think cruises can be a con ...

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 9:10 AM, PortFees45 said:

I booked a Sailaway Inside for the Escape Bermuda cruise this Sunday at a bargain basement rate, and they stuck me in a studio. I complained, and people posted I should be grateful for access to a sad windowless lounge with stale cookies and the privilege of showering in my bedroom. 

Well I made NCL switch me to an actual inside booking, AND I JUST GOT UPGRADED TO A BALCONY which would have been impossible if I'd kept the original booking. 

thanks i booked a sailaway inside and just got your studio yesterday whoa is me LoL