Recommendations for hotel and place to eat in Civitavecchia

yorkiemomjn

I am sure you have reasons for staying in Civitavecchia the night before your cruise. We in similar circumstances stayed in Rome and used Rome Cabs (excellent) to get to the port the morning of the cruise. Very pleased we did. 

We stayed at the small, family-run  Relais Rione Ponte, which is in very close walking distance to Piazza Navona and various restaurants whose names I don't remember! The friendly staff at the hotel can direct you to a good restaurant.

We stayed at the Hotel Traiano, a quiet modest hotel not far from the port.  They have a shuttle to the ship and also to a partner restaurant at another hotel.  We had an excellent dinner there one night.

On another night we had a marvelous dinner at Il Fuoco di Bacco (Via Traiana, 70).  Reservations are essential because this is a tiny place with only about 8 tables.  The cost in November 2017 was 20EUR pp for a 6 course meal.  Wine was extra but free flowing and of good quality. I heard the chef telling another patron that he decides on the menu when he sees what is available at the market in the morning.  I had hurt my knee getting into the van at the airport and so walking was difficult for me.  Our dinner companions (also staying at the Triaiano) walked but it was too difficult for me that night so when it was too late to get a cab, the owner drove us to our hotel.  (Trip Advisor rates this restaurant as #2 of 204 in Civitavecchia.)

Mura

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkiemomjn said:

We plan to stay one night in Civitavecchia before boarding the Riviera.   Any suggestions for a nice hotel and place to eat would be appreciated.

Judy & John Nicholson

If it's just one night, and seeking something clean and simple then Mercure.

Another vote for FDB, small and perfectly formed.  Best to book in advance.

Ask for, and take, their wine pairing recommendations.  Will not disappoint.

1 hour ago, avalong said:

We stayed at the small, family-run  Relais Rione Ponte, which is in very close walking distance to Piazza Navona and various restaurants whose names I don't remember! The friendly staff at the hotel can direct you to a good restaurant.

So sorry! Misread your post and thought you wanted something in Rome. My bad.

2 hours ago, Mura said:

We stayed at the Hotel Traiano, a quiet modest hotel not far from the port.  They have a shuttle to the ship and also to a partner restaurant at another hotel.  We had an excellent dinner there one night.

On another night we had a marvelous dinner at Il Fuoco di Bacco (Via Traiana, 70).  Reservations are essential because this is a tiny place with only about 8 tables.  The cost in November 2017 was 20EUR pp for a 6 course meal.  Wine was extra but free flowing and of good quality. I heard the chef telling another patron that he decides on the menu when he sees what is available at the market in the morning.  I had hurt my knee getting into the van at the airport and so walking was difficult for me.  Our dinner companions (also staying at the Triaiano) walked but it was too difficult for me that night so when it was too late to get a cab, the owner drove us to our hotel.  (Trip Advisor rates this restaurant as #2 of 204 in Civitavecchia.)

Mura

Mura, I can not say how wonderful II Fuoco di Bacco is!, we have eaten there several times over the years and believe it or not have already made reservations next March while on Riviera!  The owner is absolutely fabulous and he remembers you! I am not surprised that he drove you home (hotel)! We also used Trip Advisor for this recommendation 

Denise😊

Glad to have that confirmation from you, Denise.  Indeed, we'd go back there in a heart beat.  It was a very special night.

In looking at the Trip Advisor comments I was struck by how positive they all were.  It's a delightful place!

Mura

• Like 1

Thank you all for your recommendations!  We decided on the La Marina B&B.  

Mura, we would love to have dinner at II Fuoco di Bacco.  ❤️   We are so excited to be taking another O cruise!   I remember so many of you on this board from our earlier cruises.   I will never forget Don Horner.😢.  We have our wonderful TA because of all of you ‘old timers’.

Thank you, again!

Judy & John

Edited by yorkiemomjn
  • Like 1

Glad you are sorted yorklemomjn. 

Should anyone else be interested, we stayed at Tarquinia which is an ancient walled town about 15 km past Civitacheccio in an amazing private apartment in an 1000 year old tower - the Palazzo Castelleschi - https://palazzo-castelleschi-holiday-home.hotels-lazio.com/en/#map

Massimo the owner picked us up from the airport and dropped us at the dock for our cruise for a very moderate amount and the two bedroom apartment was quite beautiful and also very moderately priced.

Heaps to do in Tarquinia - Etruscan tombs, amazing museum, lovely small restaurants (including a French patisserie!) - we just walked everywhere

It was a great start to our cruise.

On 6/29/2019 at 11:51 AM, yorkiemomjn said:

Thank you all for your recommendations!  We decided on the La Marina B&B.  

Mura, we would love to have dinner at II Fuoco di Bacco.  ❤️   We are so excited to be taking another O cruise!   I remember so many of you on this board from our earlier cruises.   I will never forget Don Horner.😢.  We have our wonderful TA because of all of you ‘old timers’.

Thank you, again!

Judy & John

Hi, Judy, great to see you back here.  We had a lovely cruise on Marina in the Western Mediterranean in May.  Happily, both the food and service were the best yet (but the nightly lounge show the worst yet!) 😁

Edited by CintiPam

On 6/28/2019 at 12:53 PM, Noxequifans said:

I am sure you have reasons for staying in Civitavecchia the night before your cruise. We in similar circumstances stayed in Rome and used Rome Cabs (excellent) to get to the port the morning of the cruise. Very pleased we did. 

I have to agree.... the OP is flying from Texas  11 hours.. arriving with 8 hours of jet-lag.   even in Business  its a red-eye ocernight.   You  are whacked.      I would ask  How many days are you arriving prior to the cruise?   If it is just the next day, I would get to the nearest quality hotel at the airport like Marriott and get a shower and rest and a nice meal.... and then take a transfer to the ship.      If this is you first time in Rome I would come in 2 to 3 days in advance and stay in Rome     Its the same drive time airport to Rome  or the Port.      Why not see something of Rome?     To be frank the port is an industrial area, busy, dirty and grim.place....  It is neither exotic or romantic.  It is close but thats it...charming????  not much

Look at the big picture  you wont save by staying in the port... it might actually cost you emotionally and physically 

On 7/2/2019 at 11:42 AM, Hawaiidan said:

I have to agree.... the OP is flying from Texas  11 hours.. arriving with 8 hours of jet-lag.   even in Business  its a red-eye ocernight.   You  are whacked.      I would ask  How many days are you arriving prior to the cruise?   If it is just the next day, I would get to the nearest quality hotel at the airport like Marriott and get a shower and rest and a nice meal.... and then take a transfer to the ship.      If this is you first time in Rome I would come in 2 to 3 days in advance and stay in Rome     Its the same drive time airport to Rome  or the Port.      Why not see something of Rome?     To be frank the port is an industrial area, busy, dirty and grim.place....  It is neither exotic or romantic.  It is close but thats it...charming????  not much

Look at the big picture  you wont save by staying in the port... it might actually cost you emotionally and physically 

Thank you so much for this post!   This is what my husband wanted to do in the first place!  We are arriving just one day before the day we board the ship.  We have already been to Rome twice and have no desire to go again, so we are going to use Marriott points and do as you suggested.   Which Marriott do you recommend near the airport, if there is more than one, and any suggestions for transportation from hotel to ship?

Thank you!

Judy & John

1 hour ago, yorkiemomjn said:

Thank you so much for this post!   This is what my husband wanted to do in the first place!  We are arriving just one day before the day we board the ship.  We have already been to Rome twice and have no desire to go again, so we are going to use Marriott points and do as you suggested.   Which Marriott do you recommend near the airport, if there is more than one, and any suggestions for transportation from hotel to ship?

Thank you!

Judy & John

there is just 1.....It's a class 5   25K points...      I llike Marriotts because of the uniformity and reliability AND  you will earn points too.    .

We all have different opinions about what to do.  We enjoyed Civitavecchia and neighboring environs so would happily go there again.  We'd also be happy stay in Rome for more time there since we have only had a few days although if we did so it would be for several days.

I agree with Dan about the merits of just resting after such a long flight!  Since we fly from NYC it's not so bad for us.  But that is why we have always planned on a few days pre- and post-cruise in the beginning and ending ports.  We were always able to do so because even pre-retirement my husband had the time from his job, and I just told my job when I'd be there!  (Heck, my office even bought tickets for my concerts.)  I just disagree with Dan about the merits of the port area but we are all entitled to our own opinons!

Have a wonderful cruise.  We've always enjoyed our time in Marriotts, even if we just crashed in bed upon arrival and slept for 10 hours!

Mura

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mura said:

We all have different opinions about what to do.  We enjoyed Civitavecchia and neighboring environs so would happily go there again.  We'd also be happy stay in Rome for more time there since we have only had a few days although if we did so it would be for several days.

I agree with Dan about the merits of just resting after such a long flight!  Since we fly from NYC it's not so bad for us.  But that is why we have always planned on a few days pre- and post-cruise in the beginning and ending ports.  We were always able to do so because even pre-retirement my husband had the time from his job, and I just told my job when I'd be there!  (Heck, my office even bought tickets for my concerts.)  I just disagree with Dan about the merits of the port area but we are all entitled to our own opinons!

Have a wonderful cruise.  We've always enjoyed our time in Marriotts, even if we just crashed in bed upon arrival and slept for 10 hours!

Mura

Thank you, Mura.   We are excited about this cruise.   We plan to stay a couple of days afterwards in Athens since we have never been there.   We are also looking forward to the hotel we have booked there!   Our wonderful TA recommended it.   It is the Hotel Grande Bretagne.   She also recommended a private guide for there.