La Cucina Platinum Dinner

gatorchinsky

We will soon be platinum and had a question about using the platinum dinner at La Cucina.  When looking at the menu most of the entrees (meat/protein/seafood) appear to be more than $20 which is what the entree limit is.  If you have used your platinum dinner at La Cucina what do you order?

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

We will soon be platinum and had a question about using the platinum dinner at La Cucina.  When looking at the menu most of the entrees (meat/protein/seafood) appear to be more than $20 which is what the entree limit is.  If you have used your platinum dinner at La Cucina what do you order?

Thanks!

We ate there on our Feb cruise but do not remember if we used one of our UDP perks or plat plus perks. Regardless we order a salad of appetizer and an entree plus I think dessert and there was no extra charge. 

1 hour ago, gatorchinsky said:

Thanks!

The limit is now $25. In April, I tried the vaal scallopini which I think was $23 or $24. It was excellent and there was no extra charges. I had previously confirmed the change in limit with the cruisenext people earlier in the cruise. Hope this helps. Debbie 

1 hour ago, Deb and Jack said:

The limit is now $25. In April, I tried the vaal scallopini which I think was $23 or $24. It was excellent and there was no extra charges. I had previously confirmed the change in limit with the cruisenext people earlier in the cruise. Hope this helps. Debbie 

The limit is now $25, but on my last two cruises since that took effect they were still giving out the old $20 coupons and not saying anything. You stay classy, NCL. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yearsofcruising said:

To my knowledge from reading others, the Platinum meals are 1 of every category ? The SDP meals as well basically unless an upcharge for certain places like BAYAMO,etc..

It's an appetizer, a main, and a dessert. 

Not sure where the pasta courses at The Cooch fall for platinum coupon purposes...it's not an issue with SDP since you can get as many as you want of anything except the main entre. 

6 hours ago, surfone said:

We will be first time platinum on our cruise next week.  Will NCL use auto gratuities or do we tip ourselves for our platinum meals?  Thanks  

Not sure the Specialty Dining Restaurants share in the standard gratuities collected by NCL. If you enjoyed the meal and service at the 2 Free Platinum Dinners, it would be nice to leave a tip. It is totally up to you. We do for the 2 Platinum Dinners. But on the Specialty Dining Package Meals, NCL adds a 20% gratuities charge on to them. So, we feel an extra tip is not required there.          

Reported 4 hours ago,  Platinum dinner coupons now priced $35. New ones not printed yet, so it appears to have been written in by staff. See Cagney ‘s and Le Bistro HUGH prices increase thread.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, phissy said:

Reported 4 hours ago,  Platinum dinner coupons now priced $35. New ones not printed yet, so it appears to have been written in by staff. See Cagney ‘s and Le Bistro HUGH prices increase thread.

That new limit would make things easier since they have seemed to raise the prices of the entrees.

So disheartening..1st cruise yrs ago , paid for the SDP, now we get the perk. Now also entitled to the Lattitude dining perk. They put restrictions on what you eat , in what category and now they charge more for it..I feel bad for the 1st time cruiser who likes to eat..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I usually order the Osso Bucco.  It is something I do not make at home or order locally...so it is a treat for me. BTW--I have had good service and food my last 3 sailings when dining at La Cuccina.  

In general now if you get the SDP is it one entree or one entree up to a certain point and then a surcharge? (kind of like the UBP).

I am wondering if there is going to be a surcharge on A1 steaksauce and Heinz ketchup. THat would worry me,

23 hours ago, morrisretired said:

Not sure the Specialty Dining Restaurants share in the standard gratuities collected by NCL. If you enjoyed the meal and service at the 2 Free Platinum Dinners, it would be nice to leave a tip. It is totally up to you. We do for the 2 Platinum Dinners. But on the Specialty Dining Package Meals, NCL adds a 20% gratuities charge on to them. So, we feel an extra tip is not required there.          

Hi morris. We will be platinum on our next cruise.  Can you tell me how the two platinum dinners work with the SDP and how do you designate reservations? Ty 

I did the fettuccine Alfredo as my app & the veal osso bucco as my main course on the Getaway April-May TA cruise & left a $10 tip in cash.  Service was excellent!

This was our first time in La Cucina for our Platinum meal(s) & I have to say that I was impressed!  We usually went to Moderno for our second dinner (we do Cagneys for the main dinner!) but DW & I wanted to try something different this cruise.   I distinctly remember La Cucina when it first premiered when we sailed on the Spirit back in '04 & it's come a LONG way in terms of food quality & service since then!  Back then the wait staff literally walled off a section of the buffet every night & voila!; La Cucina Italian Restaurant! lol.  Back then it was merely a collection of the MDR's Italian entrees and apps & only cost $10/pp.  We tried it again on the Gem in '07 when NCL built an actual Italian-themed restaurant next to the Garden cafe.  It was $15/pp then & we were less than impressed with the menu & hadn't been back since then.  We were VERY impressed with the menu this time, however and the service.

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!

4 hours ago, Quencups said:

Hi morris. We will be platinum on our next cruise.  Can you tell me how the two platinum dinners work with the SDP and how do you designate reservations? Ty 

You make your reservations exactly 120 days prior to cruise. Book fixed price restaurants first followed by all of your a la carte restaurants. There is nothing special about booking Platinum dinners. If you have a 3 meal SDP and 2 platinum dinners, you make 5 reservations. You can also make additional reservations for the other nights that you can charge to your room and pay for. 

On the ship, you will get two coupons in your room. When you are going to a Platinum dinner, hand the coupon the the hostess when you check in. She will mark it on your seating ticket.  If it is at Cagney's/Le Bistro she will get you the "free wine list". 

Note: There was a post earlier that they just raised the $20 limit to something higher. The Platinum Dinners are One Appetizer, One Entree, One Dessert (slightly different than the SDP). 

Note: Don't forget your free laundry (one bag per Platinum member). 

Note: If you want to take the complimentary Behind the Scenes Tour, you MUST go to the CruiseNext desk on embarkation day and make a reservation. 

b74e26d4098377b2ff400629f7e161ae.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

We are platinum members and have eaten at la cucina often. When ordering something over the limit I ask the waiter niceley why the limit .  Have alway been told not to worry that he will take care of it. Sure it’s their way of insuring a nice tip.

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You make your reservations exactly 120 days prior to cruise. Book fixed price restaurants first followed by all of your a la carte restaurants. There is nothing special about booking Platinum dinners. If you have a 3 meal SDP and 2 platinum dinners, you make 5 reservations. You can also make additional reservations for the other nights that you can charge to your room and pay for. 

On the ship, you will get two coupons in your room. When you are going to a Platinum dinner, hand the coupon the the hostess when you check in. She will mark it on your seating ticket.  If it is at Cagney's/Le Bistro she will get you the "free wine list". 

Note: There was a post earlier that they just raised the $20 limit to something higher. The Platinum Dinners are One Appetizer, One Entree, One Dessert (slightly different than the SDP). 

Note: Don't forget your free laundry (one bag per Platinum member). 

Note: If you want to take the complimentary Behind the Scenes Tour, you MUST go to the CruiseNext desk on embarkation day and make a reservation. 

b74e26d4098377b2ff400629f7e161ae.jpg

Thank you sooooo much Bird!!  Now I get it lol. Ty!!

22 hours ago, Jerseyden said:

We are platinum members and have eaten at la cucina often. When ordering something over the limit I ask the waiter niceley why the limit .  Have alway been told not to worry that he will take care of it. Sure it’s their way of insuring a nice tip.

I am Platinum Plus so we use the free dinners each cruise. Have never had an issue.

I do always ask the waiter what is included because I know it can vary with the restaurant and the waiter. They are always willing to tell me and we often get extras.....😊

YMMV.

7 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

I am Platinum Plus so we use the free dinners each cruise. Have never had an issue.

I do always ask the waiter what is included because I know it can vary with the restaurant and the waiter. They are always willing to tell me and we often get extras.....😊

YMMV.

We had similar experiences until our last cruise (MAy of this year on the Joy), when our Cagney’s waiter informed us that DH and I had limited entree options, unless we wished to pay extra. Officially, he was correct, but we had never had a waiter point this out before. It was a different experience. 

Now it it seems that the menu prices have increased and the Platinum voucher value has increased as well. I wonder if more entrees will be within the limit.